London Banter

-   -   Arriva says scrap all that integrated national rail ticketing nonsense (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14195-arriva-says-scrap-all-integrated.html)

Roland Perry January 29th 15 10:27 AM

Arriva says scrap all that integrated national rail ticketing nonsense

In message , at
00:30:06 on Thu, 29 Jan 2015, remarked:

http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/...national-rail-
ticketing-holds-back-innovation%E2%80%99/

I note from the article, "The company suggested that one option for a new fares and ticketing model could involve each franchise focusing on
developing new, potentially bespoke, ticketing technology appropriate for its own franchise and markets." This would presumably mean every
time a franchise changes hands, the entire ticketing system for its network would need to be ripped out and replaced. Not exactly cost-
effictive, is it?

It'll be interesting to see if VTEC continue the same P&H [and Aztec
coded card tickets] scheme that EC has been pioneering.

In other news, TSGN has promised "Franchise wide smart ticketing" by
[presumably the end-of] September". I'm all agog to see:

if I can use my existing Southern The Key across the franchise
or whether I'll need a new one[1]

if contrary to something I've seen elsewhere, whether stations
north of Cambridge will be fitted out [it's part of your
franchise area, chaps]

if it will have franchise-wide Travelcard functionality from
launch, or only on the existing "S" bit.

[1] Honing the Chico Marx impression already "You need a The Key",
"But I've got a The Key"...

Paul Bird January 29th 15 10:43 AM

Arriva says scrap all that integrated national rail ticketingnonsense

On 29/01/15 10:27, Roland Perry wrote:
In , at
[...]

How long before they suggest different gauges for different rolling
stock? Broad gauge your time has come?

--
PB
I write the housing blog Single Aspect http://www.singleaspect.org.uk