London Banter

-   -   Shortened 3-car class 365 unit? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14206-shortened-3-car-class-365-a.html)

[email protected] February 10th 15 02:29 PM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

There have been some reports suggesting that a class 365 unit is running
around on GN in 3-car formation. This includes a local resident who I've
known for many years stating:

"I have seen a short (3 car) 365 pass through Queen Adelaide. At the
time I thought I was seeing things."

Given what I know about the writer's history I would be very surprised if he
was wrong about this.

In addition, I saw the GN web site state last night that the 2214 train from
King's Cross was shortened to 3 cars and that first class would be
declassified. Others have reported elsewhere on usenet seeing similar
messages, not necessarily about that particular train.

A Network Rail source of mine could not add any information.

Anyone know what the story is here?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Steve Lewis February 10th 15 04:34 PM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

According to Wikipedia, one of the trailers has the pantograph while the other has the compressor, so I wouldn't have thought that a 3-car was possible.

[email protected] February 10th 15 06:41 PM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

In article ,
(Steve Lewis) wrote:

According to Wikipedia, one of the trailers has the pantograph while
the other has the compressor, so I wouldn't have thought that a 3-car
was possible.

Maybe. Wikipaedia says only the TOSL has a compressor. That doesn't seem
right. I thought two compressors were mandatory these days. Roland suggested
elsewhere that the TOSL (with the disabled loo) was detachable though we
couldn't think why it might be done.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry February 11th 15 06:37 AM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

In message , at 13:41:25
on Tue, 10 Feb 2015, remarked:
According to Wikipedia, one of the trailers has the pantograph while
the other has the compressor, so I wouldn't have thought that a 3-car
was possible.

Maybe. Wikipaedia says only the TOSL has a compressor. That doesn't seem
right. I thought two compressors were mandatory these days. Roland suggested

I hadn't noticed the "single compressor" issue when I wrote that.

[email protected] February 11th 15 10:18 AM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
13:41:25 on Tue, 10 Feb 2015,
remarked:
According to Wikipedia, one of the trailers has the pantograph while
the other has the compressor, so I wouldn't have thought that a 3-car
was possible.

Maybe. Wikipaedia says only the TOSL has a compressor. That doesn't seem
right. I thought two compressors were mandatory these days. Roland
suggested

I hadn't noticed the "single compressor" issue when I wrote that.

elsewhere that the TOSL (with the disabled loo) was detachable though we
couldn't think why it might be done.

My question remains whether a single compressor is acceptable these days.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry February 11th 15 12:04 PM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

In message , at 05:18:57
on Wed, 11 Feb 2015, remarked:
According to Wikipedia, one of the trailers has the pantograph while
the other has the compressor, so I wouldn't have thought that a 3-car
was possible.

Maybe. Wikipaedia says only the TOSL has a compressor. That doesn't seem
right. I thought two compressors were mandatory these days. Roland
suggested

I hadn't noticed the "single compressor" issue when I wrote that.

elsewhere that the TOSL (with the disabled loo) was detachable though we
couldn't think why it might be done.

My question remains whether a single compressor is acceptable these days.

What? In that this allegedly removable carriage has just one (which if
removed would give zero) or is there a second one somewhere which would
be the sole one if that carriage was removed.

[email protected] February 11th 15 02:24 PM

Shortened 3-car class 365 unit?

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
05:18:57 on Wed, 11 Feb 2015,
remarked:

My question remains whether a single compressor is acceptable these days.

What? In that this allegedly removable carriage has just one (which
if removed would give zero) or is there a second one somewhere which
would be the sole one if that carriage was removed.

I think we're agreed that no car has enough redundancy to be removed but is
there an unmentioned (on Wikipaedia) compressor on another car?

--
Colin Rosenstiel