Old February 19th 15, 08:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Pacers to be replaced by old London Underground trains?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:59:00 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Christopher A.
Lee writes
When I was a computer field engineer, we all had company cars - it was
a requirement, not just a perk, because we needed to get to places
quickly and reliably.

Like yours, it was based on leasing cost - and the managers had the
most expensive and luxurious cars while we plebs who really needed them
had the lesser ones.

When I had one, it was tax-deductible,

Do you mean the opposite - it was a charge on your personal tax.

but most of us did so many miles that was reduced (half AFAIR).

Above some threshold of business miles (?5k/yr perhaps) it was decided
that you really did need it to do your job. 100 miles less, and you
obviously didn't.

I thought it was more than that - the last year before I was promoted
to the Silly Colne Valley HQ I did more than 40,000 miles across the
North of England. In three years I did something 110,000 miles. Out of
that, I suppose I did the average private mileage for somebody who
lived less than ten miles from the "official" place of work.

ISTR it was also lower on a car less than 1800cc.

There have been several schemes, many of which placed a greater envy-tax
upon drivers of higher-cc models than lower ones.

Ye

Old February 20th 15, 06:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Christopher A.
Lee writes
When I was a computer field engineer, we all had company cars - it was
a requirement, not just a perk, because we needed to get to places
quickly and reliably.

Like yours, it was based on leasing cost - and the managers had the
most expensive and luxurious cars while we plebs who really needed them
had the lesser ones.

When I had one, it was tax-deductible,

Do you mean the opposite - it was a charge on your personal tax.

but most of us did so many miles that was reduced (half AFAIR).

Above some threshold of business miles (?5k/yr perhaps) it was decided
that you really did need it to do your job. 100 miles less, and you
obviously didn't.

I thought it was more than that

It looks like there were two break-points: scale charge increased by 50%
below 2,500 miles and decreased by 50% over 18,000 miles.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...chment_data/fi
le/328668/tc1.pdf

- the last year before I was promoted to the Silly Colne Valley HQ I
did more than 40,000 miles across the North of England. In three years
I did something 110,000 miles. Out of that, I suppose I did the average
private mileage for somebody who lived less than ten miles from the
"official" place of work.

The last company car I had (since then I've funded my own cars) spent
most of its life being driven the princely distance of about 200yds from
home to office every day. That was because I lived on a main road with
only 'off-peak' parking, and the company car park was locked at night.
So it had to shuttle backwards and forwards. About the only other
regular private mileage I did was a weekly trip to the supermarket.