London Banter

-   -   Abandoned northern line loop (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14245-abandoned-northern-line-loop.html)

Grebbsy McLaren March 18th 15 01:06 PM

Abandoned northern line loop

It was a dark and stormy night when d wrote
in article ...
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:27:48 +0000
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 18/03/2015 10:04,
d wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 04:37:48 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
(Basil Jet)
wrote:
Are you suggesting that every railway under the Thames was shut
simultaneously for a while?

That's my understanding, yes. Detailed in chapter XIII, The Second World
War, pages 127-8, of "The story of London's Underground", by London
Transport, first published 1963, revised and enlarged to 1972 in my copy.

What about the ELL tunnel at Wapping? Does that have flood doors?

From my memory of a couple of tours under the Thames I don't remember
seeing such doors.

Was the ELL in use in WW2? A flood in those tunnels would wipe out a few
stations either side at least.

"In 1939 there was concern that bomb damage could flood the under-river
tunnel, after which the water would rise through the shaft at
Rotherhithe station and flood the surrounding low-level ground.
Therefore a double floodgate was installed at the north end of the
station."

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/eastlondon.html

G.
--
Grebbsy McLaren

[email protected] March 18th 15 01:56 PM

Abandoned northern line loop

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:06:00 +0000
Grebbsy McLaren wrote:
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/eastlondon.html

Interesting page.

"The line closed as an Underground line in late 2007 and was integrated into
the London Overground network as "route 4". It remains owned by London
Underground, though the signalling is maintained and operated by NR. "

Is that still the case? I thought the whole ELL that doesn't run on southern
lines is owned and run by TfL including the signalling.

--
Spud

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] March 19th 15 05:48 AM

Abandoned northern line loop

In message ,
d wrote:
"The line closed as an Underground line in late 2007 and was integrated into
the London Overground network as "route 4". It remains owned by London
Underground, though the signalling is maintained and operated by NR. "

Is that still the case? I thought the whole ELL that doesn't run on southern
lines is owned and run by TfL including the signalling.

No, it's owned by TfL but Network Rail does the signalling. It's
signalled to NR standards (including PoSA aspects), not LU.

Also, the section parallel to the NLL is owned by Network Rail, as I
understand things.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org