London Banter

-   -   Whitechapel (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14258-whitechapel.html)

[email protected] March 26th 15 02:00 PM

Whitechapel

What was the thinking behind ditching the 2 centre tracks at LU whitechapel?
I can't see the logic in losing the operational flexibility.

--
Spud

Mizter T March 26th 15 02:07 PM

Whitechapel

On 26/03/2015 15:00, d wrote:
What was the thinking behind ditching the 2 centre tracks at LU whitechapel?
I can't see the logic in losing the operational flexibility.

It's all part of providing enough space and capacity for the rebuilt
station with the addition Crossrail.

Recliner[_3_] March 26th 15 02:12 PM

Whitechapel

Mizter T wrote:
On 26/03/2015 15:00, d wrote:
What was the thinking behind ditching the 2 centre tracks at LU whitechapel?
I can't see the logic in losing the operational flexibility.

It's all part of providing enough space and capacity for the rebuilt
station with the addition Crossrail.

Isn't that space being used for the Crossrail connections (escalators,
stairs, lifts)?

[email protected] March 26th 15 02:28 PM

Whitechapel

On 26.03.15 15:12, Recliner wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On 26/03/2015 15:00, d wrote:
What was the thinking behind ditching the 2 centre tracks at LU whitechapel?
I can't see the logic in losing the operational flexibility.

It's all part of providing enough space and capacity for the rebuilt
station with the addition Crossrail.

Isn't that space being used for the Crossrail connections (escalators,
stairs, lifts)?

That was my understanding.

eastender[_5_] March 27th 15 02:28 PM

Whitechapel

On 2015-03-26 17:54:22 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The centre tracks area at Whitechapel will have escalators and a lift
to the "station bridge" which will stretch over the full length of the
Overground platforms. Access to Crossrail is at the north end of the
station bridge construction.

That's good – I presume that gets rid of the flimsy bridge at the north
end of the Overground platfoms?

E.

tim..... March 28th 15 10:07 AM

Whitechapel

On 2015-03-26 17:54:22 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The centre tracks area at Whitechapel will have escalators and a lift
to the "station bridge" which will stretch over the full length of the
Overground platforms. Access to Crossrail is at the north end of the
station bridge construction.

That's good – I presume that gets rid of the flimsy bridge at the north
end of the Overground platfoms?

I find it hard to believe that any bridge designed to be used by 100s of
people a day could ever be "flimsy"

tim

Mizter T March 29th 15 05:43 PM

Whitechapel

On 2015-03-26 17:54:22 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The centre tracks area at Whitechapel will have escalators and a lift
to the "station bridge" which will stretch over the full length of the
Overground platforms. Access to Crossrail is at the north end of the
station bridge construction.

That's good – I presume that gets rid of the flimsy bridge at the
north end of the Overground platfoms?

I find it hard to believe that any bridge designed to be used by 100s of
people a day could ever be "flimsy"

Lacking in grace may have been a better way of putting it.

One staircase that does feel like it's under a bit of strain is the old
one at Drayton Park when servicing arriving fans for an evening game at
the Arsenal.

[email protected] March 29th 15 09:06 PM

Whitechapel

On Sunday, 29 March 2015 18:43:39 UTC+1, Mizter T wrote:

On 2015-03-26 17:54:22 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

The centre tracks area at Whitechapel will have escalators and a lift
to the "station bridge" which will stretch over the full length of the
Overground platforms. Access to Crossrail is at the north end of the
station bridge construction.

That's good - I presume that gets rid of the flimsy bridge at the
north end of the Overground platfoms?

I find it hard to believe that any bridge designed to be used by 100s of
people a day could ever be "flimsy"

Lacking in grace may have been a better way of putting it.

One staircase that does feel like it's under a bit of strain is the old
one at Drayton Park when servicing arriving fans for an evening game at
the Arsenal.

I thought Drayton Park wasn't supposed to be used for the Emirates?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T March 31st 15 02:11 PM

Whitechapel

On 29/03/2015 22:06, wrote:

On Sunday, 29 March 2015 18:43:39 UTC+1, Mizter T wrote:
[...]
One staircase that does feel like it's under a bit of strain is the old
one at Drayton Park when servicing arriving fans for an evening game at
the Arsenal.

I thought Drayton Park wasn't supposed to be used for the Emirates?

It's not promoted as a route, so it's only used by those who've figured
it out. It's only any good for getting there for a weekday evening game
- no service at weekends or holidays, the last trains (at the mo at
least) are around 10pm and the station is closed off for entry after an
evening match finishes - or do those later trains just not stop at
all... I'm not entirely sure TBH.

[email protected] April 1st 15 01:15 AM

Whitechapel

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 29/03/2015 22:06,
wrote:

On Sunday, 29 March 2015 18:43:39 UTC+1, Mizter T wrote:
[...]
One staircase that does feel like it's under a bit of strain is the old
one at Drayton Park when servicing arriving fans for an evening game at
the Arsenal.

I thought Drayton Park wasn't supposed to be used for the Emirates?

It's not promoted as a route, so it's only used by those who've
figured it out. It's only any good for getting there for a weekday
evening game - no service at weekends or holidays, the last trains
(at the mo at least) are around 10pm and the station is closed off
for entry after an evening match finishes - or do those later trains
just not stop at all... I'm not entirely sure TBH.

Class 313 trains always have to stop at Drayton Park, to switch between
third rail and overhead power supply.

Whether their replacements to be provided under the GTR franchise will be
able to switch power source on the move like Electrostars is an interesting
question.

--
Colin Rosenstiel