London Banter

-   -   Longest and Shortest (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14318-longest-shortest.html)

[email protected] May 14th 15 03:36 PM

Longest and Shortest

Greetings,

Does anybody know what the longest and shortest distance is between bus
stops here in London?

I also wonder where there is the most remote bus stop in the Greater
London area?

Someone Somewhere May 14th 15 04:08 PM

Longest and Shortest

On 14/05/2015 16:36, wrote:
Greetings,

Does anybody know what the longest and shortest distance is between bus
stops here in London?

I also wonder where there is the most remote bus stop in the Greater
London area?

I think you're going to have to be more specific before a decent answer
can be given.

For example, the 100 bus on Cable Street technically has a stand outside
St George's Town Hall, and a stop immediately adjacent (look on
countdown.tfl.gov.uk). They both have separate entries and timetables,
but does this count? I would argue not!

Similarly, you didn't mention that the bus stops need to be on the same
route, or that they be TfL contracted bus services. It can easily be
argued that the former is a bit of a nonsequitor, but the latter maybe
not so - consider the Oxford Tube from Shepherds Bush to Hillingdon....

Finally, define "remote" - is that from other TfL transport (in which
case isn't there a TfL bus that goes out to Slough or some such?), or
from civilisation in some form?

Piatkow May 14th 15 04:35 PM

Longest and Shortest

If by remote you mean outside the built up area then Liberty Cottages in Havering atte Bower on route 375 is a good candidate.

The route continues north to the Passingford Bridge roundabout in open country which is the first place where a bus can be turned.

No doubt there are similar rural routes south east of London.

Arthur Figgis May 14th 15 08:30 PM

Longest and Shortest

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ketmonkey/14854150687/

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

[email protected] May 14th 15 08:41 PM

Longest and Shortest

On 14.05.15 17:08, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 14/05/2015 16:36, wrote:
Greetings,

Does anybody know what the longest and shortest distance is between bus
stops here in London?

I also wonder where there is the most remote bus stop in the Greater
London area?

I think you're going to have to be more specific before a decent answer
can be given.

The longest known distance between bus stops in London. As an analogy,
the distance between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham as well as between
Canary Wharf and West India Quay.

Paul Cummins May 14th 15 08:53 PM

Longest and Shortest

In article , () wrote:

The longest known distance between bus stops in London.

So the furthest you can travel, paying for only one stop, on a scheduled
London Bus stage service?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Michael R N Dolbear May 14th 15 09:54 PM

Longest and Shortest

"Paul Cummins" wrote

() wrote:

The longest known distance between bus stops in London.

So the furthest you can travel, paying for only one stop, on a scheduled
London Bus stage service?

Has the flat fare escaped your attention ?

But the between stops distances on the X26 (and other limited stop services)
are likely to win.

Kingston to New Malden ?

X26 Length 23.75 miles (38.22 km) so the average stage is 1.8 miles

--
Mike D

Roland Perry May 15th 15 07:56 AM

Longest and Shortest

In message , at 21:41:09 on Thu, 14 May
2015, " remarked:
Does anybody know what the longest and shortest distance is between bus
stops here in London?

I also wonder where there is the most remote bus stop in the Greater
London area?

I think you're going to have to be more specific before a decent answer
can be given.

The longest known distance between bus stops in London. As an analogy,
the distance between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham as well as between
Canary Wharf and West India Quay.

You probably need to look at somewhere in the Green Belt. I've picked
(not as a candidate, but as an example) Leatherhead Rd, Chessington,
where it's almost a mile, and 3 minutes by bus, from the stop at Malden
Russet Shy Horse to the next one south. https://goo.gl/maps/UpXZG

Roland Perry May 15th 15 08:12 AM

Longest and Shortest

In message , at 22:54:11 on Thu, 14
May 2015, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

But the between stops distances on the X26 (and other limited stop
services) are likely to win.

Kingston to New Malden ?

X26 Length 23.75 miles (38.22 km) so the average stage is 1.8 miles

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

Otherwise we get involved in things like the Oxford Tube running
non-stop from Hillingdon to Shepherds Bush.

Tony Dragon May 15th 15 09:04 AM

Longest and Shortest

On 15/05/2015 08:56, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:41:09 on Thu, 14 May
2015, " remarked:
Does anybody know what the longest and shortest distance is between bus
stops here in London?

I also wonder where there is the most remote bus stop in the Greater
London area?
I think you're going to have to be more specific before a decent answer
can be given.

The longest known distance between bus stops in London. As an analogy,
the distance between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham as well as between
Canary Wharf and West India Quay.

You probably need to look at somewhere in the Green Belt. I've picked
(not as a candidate, but as an example) Leatherhead Rd, Chessington,
where it's almost a mile, and 3 minutes by bus, from the stop at Malden
Russet Shy Horse to the next one south. https://goo.gl/maps/UpXZG

At 8 am in the other direction it will be much longer than 3 minutes.

---

Someone Somewhere May 15th 15 09:17 AM

Longest and Shortest

On 15/05/2015 09:12, Roland Perry wrote:

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

Otherwise we get involved in things like the Oxford Tube running
non-stop from Hillingdon to Shepherds Bush.

Oi - I said that yesterday in the first reply to this thread!

Mizter T May 15th 15 12:16 PM

Longest and Shortest

On 15/05/2015 09:12, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 22:54:11 on Thu, 14
May 2015, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

But the between stops distances on the X26 (and other limited stop
services) are likely to win.

Kingston to New Malden ?

X26 Length 23.75 miles (38.22 km) so the average stage is 1.8 miles

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

I don't think he was - there are oodles of of examples of bus stops next
to each other (i.e. distances under 10 metres) serving different routes.

FWIW, I'd interpret his question as what is the most distant of two bus
stops served on the same (non-limited stop route) route in the same
direction. One would also have to disregard any lengths between distant
bus stops that included hail-and-ride sections.

Roland Perry May 15th 15 01:21 PM

Longest and Shortest

In message , at 13:16:11 on Fri, 15 May
2015, Mizter T remarked:
But the between stops distances on the X26 (and other limited stop
services) are likely to win.

Kingston to New Malden ?

X26 Length 23.75 miles (38.22 km) so the average stage is 1.8 miles

I think that should only be counted if there are no other bus stops on
the route. The OP was asking for the distance between bus stops (the
street furniture) not the longest distance between buses stopping (the
timetable).

I don't think he was - there are oodles of of examples of bus stops
next to each other (i.e. distances under 10 metres) serving different
routes.

FWIW, I'd interpret his question as what is the most distant of two bus
stops served on the same (non-limited stop route) route in the same
direction.

Agreed, it seemed pretty obvious that "on the same bus route" was one of
the criteria.

Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

Robin[_4_] May 15th 15 01:54 PM

Longest and Shortest

Roland Perry wrote:
Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

"It's déjà vu all over again"[1]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.transport.london/between$20bus$20stops/uk.transport.london/8o0qIuR4XdI/2DULSKf0tx4J

[1] copyright Yogi Berra
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Roland Perry May 15th 15 03:13 PM

Longest and Shortest

In message , at 14:54:07 on Fri, 15 May
2015, Robin remarked:

Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

"It's déjà vu all over again"[1]

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.transport.london/between$20bus$20stops/uk.transport.london/8o0qIuR4XdI/2DULSKf0tx4J

[1] copyright Yogi Berra

Interesting that the thread mentions consecutive bus stops either side
of a dual carriageway. I experienced these two, 20m apart, last year:

https://goo.gl/maps/OQbYI

.... running for a bus on the NW side of the road, then thought "hang on,
if I wait for it to go up to the roundabout and back, I've got plenty of
time."

Robin[_4_] May 15th 15 05:39 PM

Longest and Shortest

Roland Perry wrote:
Interesting that the thread mentions consecutive bus stops either side
of a dual carriageway. I experienced these two, 20m apart, last year:

https://goo.gl/maps/OQbYI

... running for a bus on the NW side of the road, then thought "hang
on, if I wait for it to go up to the roundabout and back, I've got
plenty of time."

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

So another question for the rules of the "closest bus stops" record is
whether the distance is measured "as the bus drives" or "as the
passenger runs/walks/crawls"?

And I feel so nerdish after even thinking of that question that I'm off
for a very large drink :(

Offramp May 15th 15 06:08 PM

Longest and Shortest

On Friday, 15 May 2015 18:39:31 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

I think that that is a definite winner.
A Gold Award for you. Thanks!

Mizter T May 15th 15 09:47 PM

Longest and Shortest

On 15/05/2015 19:08, Offramp wrote:

On Friday, 15 May 2015 18:39:31 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

I think that that is a definite winner.
A Gold Award for you. Thanks!

Half an answer - the shortest. There's also the longest...

Basil Jet[_4_] May 15th 15 10:13 PM

Longest and Shortest

On 2015\05\15 22:47, Mizter T wrote:

On 15/05/2015 19:08, Offramp wrote:

On Friday, 15 May 2015 18:39:31 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

I think these two stops at Tesco/IKEA in Tottenham on opposite sides of
a single carriageway are (a) closer as well as (b) in Lodnon ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

[NB Google has placed the icons well away from the actual stops]

I think that that is a definite winner.
A Gold Award for you. Thanks!

Half an answer - the shortest. There's also the longest...

I can't be bothered to measure them, but can I suggest

Lea Valley Road in Ponders End

Blackwall Tunnel

Pinkham Way / North Circular Road

M4 Spur to Heathrow

Barnet Way in Mill Hill / Borehamwood

Roland Perry May 16th 15 07:37 AM

Longest and Shortest

In message , at 01:00:59 on
Sat, 16 May 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
I suspect the distance between the Walthamstow
Central Station stop and the next stop in the Bus Station is shorter.
Now these may well be set down stops but so what - they're still
stops. It's only a tiny distance further to Stop E (boarding and
alighting). There may be other bus stations where similar distances
apply.

Perhaps we need a supplementary rule that one should be able to get on
at the first stop, and off at the second - thus making it the shortest
trip between bus stops.

The problem with longest distance is it can vary by route - you get
long gaps between stops on the X26 and X68 (how far is it between West
Norwood and Waterloo?).

There are bus stops en-route, but limited stop buses don't use them.
Your interpretation here is "the longest ride on a bus after you've got
on, before having an opportunity to get off".

Peter Able May 16th 15 11:02 AM

Longest and Shortest

On 14/05/2015 16:36, wrote:
Greetings,

Does anybody know what the longest and shortest distance is between bus
stops here in London?

I also wonder where there is the most remote bus stop in the Greater
London area?

Don't know if it still applies, but when I was a conductor on LT route
285 the stops from Hatton Cross, around the perimeter road and into the
Heathrow terminal were very well spaced out. A good rest for me - and
the prospect of a tip helping passengers with their luggage :)

PA

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] May 16th 15 09:36 PM

Longest and Shortest

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
Where I lived for a while in Nottingham the bus stops in the suburbs
were as little as 100m apart. eg southbound he

https://goo.gl/maps/JII2E

We've got three in my village that are closely spaced. Though now I play
with Google maps the outer two each turn out to be about 160m from the
middle one.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Paul Cummins May 17th 15 10:17 AM

Longest and Shortest

In article , (Clive
D. W. Feather) wrote:

We've got three in my village that are closely spaced. Though now I
play with Google maps the outer two each turn out to be about 160m
from the middle one.

In parts of Basingstoke, I recall bus stops so close by walking that you
could get off at one and walk to the nearest before the bus got there,
but this was because of the road looping and the path being straight
across the estate.

Also in Basingstoke are bus stops so near that you can recognise the
people waiting at one from the other. The bus stop equivalent of Lower
Sydenham to New Beckenham.

TERRYGI December 15th 17 10:54 AM

Shortest distance between two London bus stops

To my knowledge the shortest distance between two bus tops in London is on the B13 route from Bexleyheath to New Eltham situated between Avery Hill and Halfway Street the distance is 50 metres as measured on Google maps.