London Banter

-   -   Todmorden curve finally opens (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14338-todmorden-curve-finally-opens.html)

[email protected] May 27th 15 12:29 PM

Todmorden curve finally opens

On Wed, 27 May 2015 04:22:39 -0700 (PDT)
Joyce Whitchurch wrote:
Properly speaking it's Canonbury West Junction and the bit of track we seem=
to be discussing is the Canonbury Curve.

Nowadays it allows trains from e.g. Felixstowe to run via Stratford to the =
North London Line and join the ECML at Finsbury Park. But up until 1976 it =
also carried commuter trains from Broad Street to the ECML. Wikipedia has s=
ome information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_L...Line#Former_s=
ervices.

Apparently that was too difficult to accomplaish in the 21st century for the
revamped NLL however.

--
Spud

Robin9 May 27th 15 04:08 PM

It's a slight stretch to suggest that until 1976 trains ran from Broad Street
to the ECML. Technically correct, but in truth they were rush hour only
suburban trains to Hertford North and Hatfield. I used to travel each day from
Palmers Green to Broad Street.