Old July 9th 15, 07:30 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Canopy design

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 06:05:53 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

What is the name of the design feature often found on canopy edges,
whereby vertical planks of wood are separated by notches which have a
circular hole at the top of the notch? You can see it in the picture
below, which is of Borough Green & Wrotham station. Does it have a
functional significance, for instance does it reduce the turbulence
caused by 100 mph vehicles going past in some way, or was it just a
fashion which for some reason was copied to an astonishing extent on
railways but nowhere else?

AFIK, purely decorative. There were some beautiful examples on the
Barnet Branch of the TfL Northern Line. It has been thirty years
since I was last there, so they may have gone.

Old July 9th 15, 07:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

What is the name of the design feature often found on canopy edges,
whereby vertical planks of wood are separated by notches which have a
circular hole at the top of the notch? You can see it in the picture
below, which is of Borough Green & Wrotham station. Does it have a
functional significance, for instance does it reduce the turbulence
caused by 100 mph vehicles going past in some way, or was it just a
fashion which for some reason was copied to an astonishing extent on
railways but nowhere else?

AFIK, purely decorative. There were some beautiful examples on the
Barnet Branch of the TfL Northern Line. It has been thirty years
since I was last there, so they may have gone.

Not entirely decorative, I think, although each railway had its own
distinctive design. Barge boards serve a practical purpose wherever
they are found, perhaps on your house. On my house, they are of
plastic and very plain. I suggest a practical reason for the pointed
design and vertical alignment of the grain of the wood was to guide
rain to many points to drip on to platforms and passengers rather than
having a mini-torrent at some unpredictable spot
A new canopy has been constructed in recent years at my local station
which is equipped with traditional barge board.

Guy Gorton
Old July 9th 15, 07:54 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. That I had not understood.

A new canopy has been constructed in recent years at my local station
which is equipped with traditional barge board.

Did the new barge board fit with traditional existing GW GC station
features? I have found some of the platform rebuilds on your route
disappointing.
Old July 9th 15, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Yes, a good match.

Guy Gorton
Old July 9th 15, 04:25 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

You set my curiosity going, so I have been to the station this
afternoon, with camera, and all is not quite what it seems.!
The old and the new look the same, but they are not. The original is
made of seperate vertical planks of wood, closely fitted together
above the round hole we are familiar with and with a gap of about half
an inch in the lowest part. There are a few places where the upper
part is sufficiently separated to let daylight through.
The new version is in wide pieces with a groove milled out above the
aforementioned hole so that it looks as if it is separate planks.
About 8 imitation planks per piece. And that is not all ! I am
pretty certain that the new one is all white plastic, not wood.
I think that credit is due to NR and Chiltern for doing an excellent
imitation which certainly preserves the GW/GC look of the station.

Nothing to do with canopies but did you know that last Wednesday was
the 10th anniversary of the collapse of the Tesco tunnel here in
Gerrads Cross, bringing the railway to a complete halt?.

Guy Gorton

Old July 9th 15, 04:37 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Agreed, it is reassuring to know that they care.

Nothing to do with canopies but did you know that last Wednesday was
the 10th anniversary of the collapse of the Tesco tunnel here in
Gerrads Cross, bringing the railway to a complete halt?

Ten years already!!!

Old July 9th 15, 07:42 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Very interesting. The modern version is presumably both cheaper and
maintenance-free.

Nothing to do with canopies but did you know that last Wednesday was
the 10th anniversary of the collapse of the Tesco tunnel here in
Gerrads Cross, bringing the railway to a complete halt?.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd have thought it was longer.