London Banter

-   -   Another one-step-forward, two-steps-back (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14429-another-one-step-forward-two.html)

Roland Perry July 16th 15 06:47 PM

Another one-step-forward, two-steps-back

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ch/news/apple-
pay-tfl-says-users-will-face-penalty-charges-if-their-battery-runs-out-
on-the-tube-10394417.html

"In the week a man was arrested for charging his phone on a
train, TfL cautions that it’ll charge people if it runs out,
too."

tim..... July 16th 15 08:14 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ch/news/apple-
pay-tfl-says-users-will-face-penalty-charges-if-their-battery-runs-out-
on-the-tube-10394417.html

"In the week a man was arrested for charging his phone on a
train, TfL cautions that it’ll charge people if it runs out,
too."

and if it runs out during the day, you won't be able to take advantage of
capping

what a pile of poo this idea is!

tim

Recliner[_3_] July 16th 15 08:17 PM

"tim....." wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ch/news/apple-
pay-tfl-says-users-will-face-penalty-charges-if-their-battery-runs-out-
on-the-tube-10394417.html

"In the week a man was arrested for charging his phone on a
train, TfL cautions that it’ll charge people if it runs out,
too."

and if it runs out during the day, you won't be able to take advantage of capping

what a pile of poo this idea is!

It's interesting that airports now make it easier to charge phones that may
have to be turned on in the security check, as well as carrying the
boarding card.

Neil Williams July 16th 15 10:02 PM

On 2015-07-16 20:17:23 +0000, Recliner said:

It's interesting that airports now make it easier to charge phones that may
have to be turned on in the security check

I'm yet to encounter that (so I guess it's specific destinations).

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Recliner[_3_] July 16th 15 10:19 PM

On 2015-07-16 20:17:23 +0000, Recliner said:

It's interesting that airports now make it easier to charge phones that may
have to be turned on in the security check

I'm yet to encounter that (so I guess it's specific destinations).

You can guess which ones...

Neil Williams July 17th 15 08:48 AM

On 2015-07-16 20:17:23 +0000, Recliner said:

It's interesting that airports now make it easier to charge phones that may
have to be turned on in the security check

I'm yet to encounter that (so I guess it's specific destinations).

You can guess which ones...

:)

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Offramp July 18th 15 09:13 AM

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 19:55:07 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ch/news/apple-
pay-tfl-says-users-will-face-penalty-charges-if-their-battery-runs-out-
on-the-tube-10394417.html

"In the week a man was arrested for charging his phone on a
train, TfL cautions that it'll charge people if it runs out,
too."

The sensible thing for a Revenue Control Inspector to do would be to issue a PFN, taking no money, and then the passenger can appeal within 21 days by showing a printout that the iPhone had been touched in.

Roland Perry July 18th 15 09:32 AM

Another one-step-forward, two-steps-back

In message , at
02:13:00 on Sat, 18 Jul 2015, Offramp remarked:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ch/news/apple-
pay-tfl-says-users-will-face-penalty-charges-if-their-battery-runs-out-
on-the-tube-10394417.html

"In the week a man was arrested for charging his phone on a
train, TfL cautions that it'll charge people if it runs out,
too."

The sensible thing for a Revenue Control Inspector to do would be to
issue a PFN, taking no money, and then the passenger can appeal within
21 days by showing a printout that the iPhone had been touched in.

Unfortunately the correct fare can't be charged unless they also
touch-out; so evidence like that won't work.

FWIW, now that I'm carrying a smartphone more often, I always also take
on of those battery-booster packs and a six-inch micro-USB cable with
me. This is no different two when I would take a spare battery for a
classic phone with me, back in the day when those batteries also didn't
always last a whole day.

It's also possible to get a "sleeve" for some phones, especially
iPhones, which contain a booster battery and double as a case.