London Banter

-   -   TV Programmes (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14434-tv-programmes.html)

Peter Able July 20th 15 05:20 PM

TV Programmes

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus: Award-winning Schlesinger docu: A Day at
Waterloo Station in 1961.

01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit: Follows a school outing to London in the 1950s.

01Aug15 1930: This Year - London: Follows a factory outing to London in
the 1950s.

29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song: Transport developments 60 years ago -
including London's buses.

All from British Transport Films.

E&OE

[email protected] July 20th 15 10:46 PM

TV Programmes

In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus: Award-winning Schlesinger docu: A Day at
Waterloo Station in 1961.

01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit: Follows a school outing to London in the
1950s.

01Aug15 1930: This Year - London: Follows a factory outing to London
in the 1950s.

29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song: Transport developments 60 years ago -
including London's buses.

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Someone Somewhere July 21st 15 08:34 AM

TV Programmes

On 20/07/2015 23:46, wrote:
In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus: Award-winning Schlesinger docu: A Day at
Waterloo Station in 1961.

01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit: Follows a school outing to London in the
1950s.

01Aug15 1930: This Year - London: Follows a factory outing to London
in the 1950s.

29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song: Transport developments 60 years ago -
including London's buses.

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

Given this was posted to uk.transport.LONDON it wasn't unreasonable to
do so.

For those not privileged enough to live here a quick look on their
website suggests Sky channel 117. If one is also bereft of Sky
privileges you might be on your own.

They do stream some of the shows on their website, but I have no idea
whether any of these will be.

michael adams[_7_] July 21st 15 11:50 AM

TV Programmes

wrote in message
In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus: Award-winning Schlesinger docu: A Day at
Waterloo Station in 1961.

01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit: Follows a school outing to London in the
1950s.

01Aug15 1930: This Year - London: Follows a factory outing to London
in the 1950s.

29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song: Transport developments 60 years ago -
including London's buses.

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

They're all available on various DVD volumes of the BFI BT Film
Collection available from Amazon and elsewhere.

"Terminus" is on volume three, "Capital Visit" volume two,
"This Year" volume one. Can't find "Bridge of Song" although
it sounds a lot like "All That Mighty Heart" which is on volume ten
"London on the Move"

There's an 18 disc box set which can be had for a shade under
£50.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Tran...ransport+films

michael adams

Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell July 21st 15 11:51 AM

TV Programmes

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 05:46:32PM -0500, wrote:
In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus ...
01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit ...
01Aug15 1930: This Year - London ...
29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song ...

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

No-one in London watches London Live either, it gets a staggering 0.05%
of the audience :-)

The first three are available to buy on DVD according to
http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/. If you can't find them online
then I expect that the BFI shop will be able to get them for you.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use. If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
-- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916

Recliner[_3_] July 21st 15 03:37 PM

TV Programmes

(Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus ...
01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit ...
01Aug15 1930: This Year - London ...
29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song ...

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

No-one in London watches London Live either, it gets a staggering 0.05%
of the audience :-)

The amusing thing is that it gets prime position in the TV listings carried
by the Evening Standard. Before they stopped showing the embarrassing (R)
indicator for repeats, it was painfully apparent that whatever the channel
might be, Live it was not. Lebedev must have bought up all the old TV
programmes that even Dave couldn't run any more.

The rumours suggest that the channel won't be live in any sense of the word
by the end of the year.

Peter Able July 21st 15 04:44 PM

TV Programmes

(Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus ...
01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit ...
01Aug15 1930: This Year - London ...
29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song ...

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

No-one in London watches London Live either, it gets a staggering 0.05%
of the audience :-)

The first three are available to buy on DVD according to
http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/. If you can't find them online
then I expect that the BFI shop will be able to get them for you.

Well, here is a good reason for watching London Live, then. They are
also showing a season of the other films the Ealing Studios made. At
one time both the BBC and Channel 4 used to show such
out-of-the-mainstream items - before they became ratings-obsessed.
London Live may not last too long - but, personally, I'm grateful for
any initiative that gets this material before the public.

BTW, all four of the films mentioned are on BFI BTF DVDs - and they are
generally all much cheaper from other suppliers than directly from the
BFI :)

PA

[email protected] July 21st 15 05:01 PM

TV Programmes

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 05:46:32PM -0500,
wrote:
In article ,
stuck@home (Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus ...
01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit ...
01Aug15 1930: This Year - London ...
29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song ...

All from British Transport Films.

How might those of us not in London see these?

No-one in London watches London Live either, it gets a staggering 0.05%
of the audience :-)

The first three are available to buy on DVD according to
http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/. If you can't find them online
then I expect that the BFI shop will be able to get them for you.

Thanks all. I was assuming they were to be broadcast free to air and maybe
on web sites, not being familiar with London Live. I'm not interested enough
to buy DVDs. It looks as if I'll be able to watch on their web site.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Peter Able July 21st 15 05:07 PM

TV Programmes

On 21/07/2015 18:01, wrote:
In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 05:46:32PM -0500,
wrote:
In article ,
stuck@home (Peter Able) wrote:

Several documentaries relating to transport and London coming up on
London Live:

25Jul15 1900: Terminus ...
01Aug15 1900: Capital Visit ...
01Aug15 1930: This Year - London ...
29Aug15 1900: Bridge of Song ...

All from British Transport Films.
How might those of us not in London see these?

No-one in London watches London Live either, it gets a staggering 0.05%
of the audience :-)

The first three are available to buy on DVD according to
http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/. If you can't find them online
then I expect that the BFI shop will be able to get them for you.

Thanks all. I was assuming they were to be broadcast free to air and maybe
on web sites, not being familiar with London Live. I'm not interested enough
to buy DVDs. It looks as if I'll be able to watch on their web site.

They will be FTA in London :)

[email protected] July 21st 15 05:54 PM

TV Programmes

In article , stuck@home
(Peter Able) wrote:

On 21/07/2015 18:01, wrote:
In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 05:46:32PM -0500,
wrote:
In article ,
stuck@home (Peter Able) wrote:

[...]

I see it's channel 8 on Freeview. Is that only accessible in London

--
Colin Rosenstiel