London Banter

-   -   Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14448-pointless-missive-tfl-regarding-buses.html)

Someone Somewhere July 29th 15 10:05 AM

Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks

I've just received a mail from TfL entitled "Changes to bus route 135"
which, as an occasional user of that service, was of some interest to me.

I wondered as it downloaded (I think quickly) what it was going to be -
a route extension (to Barbican please!), a curtailment, later running?
But no, to quote:

"
I am writing to let you know that until spring 2016, we will be building
Cycle Superhighway 1 from White Hart Lane stadium to Liverpool Street
station, as part of the Road Modernisation Plan.

The second phase of work will take place at the junction of Old Street
and Great Eastern Street from Monday 3 August.

Public transport

Access to Tube and Rail stations will not be affected by these works,
but entrances may change at times. Buses passing through the area may be
subject to delays, diverted or stop short of their normal destination;
this includes route 135.
"

To paraphrase, all this says is "roadworks happening, roads busy, we may
screw with buses (which we often do anyway)".

What about other buses though - for example the 205 (which I also take)
on long term diversion on pretty much the same route through the area?

[email protected] July 29th 15 01:34 PM

Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

[...]

There seems to be a bit more detail on the TfL web site.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Someone Somewhere July 29th 15 05:03 PM

Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks

On 29/07/2015 14:34, wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

To paraphrase, all this says is "roadworks happening, roads busy, we
may screw with buses (which we often do anyway)".

What about other buses though - for example the 205 (which I also
take) on long term diversion on pretty much the same route through
the area?

There seems to be a bit more detail on the TfL web site.

Not much really - couple of restrictions on turning into certain roads,
but nothing about how badly a bus service will be affected, or "changed"
in the language of their e-mail header.

Ho hum - I remember the disruption when they last rebuilt the Shoreditch
triangle one way system and shudder to think that might happen again,
just to help a few cyclists get to or from work a handful of seconds
quicker.

Someone Somewhere July 30th 15 10:34 AM

Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks

On 30/07/2015 11:18, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:05:37 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

What about other buses though - for example the 205 (which I also take)
on long term diversion on pretty much the same route through the area?

The 205 is comprehensively screwed daily because of CSH works in Bow,
Mile End, gyratory works in Aldgate plus works elsewhere. The 205 is
now permanently routed via Great Eastern St - TfL consulted on that a
year or so ago.

Ah - I didn't realise that move was permanent - so no return to the
doubling back on itself through Liverpool Street station?

More the point was I am a regular user of both the 135 and the 205 but I
only received a missive regarding the 135 (which basically said nothing).

David Walters July 30th 15 02:55 PM

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:03:20 +0100, Someone Somewhere wrote:
Ho hum - I remember the disruption when they last rebuilt the Shoreditch
triangle one way system and shudder to think that might happen again,
just to help a few cyclists get to or from work a handful of seconds
quicker.

The changes don't really help cyclists get through the area quicker,
some of them slow them down. They should make it safer.

[email protected] July 31st 15 06:43 AM

Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks

The bus route updates are indeed very erratic. The 135 route through Canary Wharf has changed frequently because of building work on Herons Quay, but these changes have never been publicised well - or in some case, not publicised at all.

Someone Somewhere July 31st 15 02:10 PM

Pointless missive from TfL regarding buses and roadworks

On 30/07/2015 20:07, Paul Corfield wrote:

I understood the point but expecting TfL to be consistent in its
customer comms is probably a step too far.

I will continue to live in hope!