London Banter

-   -   South West Trains over District Line south of East Putney (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1445-south-west-trains-over-district.html)

Martin J February 16th 04 07:35 PM

South West Trains over District Line south of East Putney

When at Putney Bridge yesterday afternoon, I noticed a sign saying reduced
Tube service over the coming or next weekend since South West trains would
be diverted over this route. I remember from my observations now vs. the
late '80s that the link from Wandsworth Town to East Putney is not even 2
way as the viaducts over the main line have been demolished. How are they
going to achieve any service with only 1 line up from Wandsworth Town to
East Putney?
many thanks,
Martin J

Stuart February 17th 04 12:09 AM

Martin J wrote:
When at Putney Bridge yesterday afternoon, I noticed a sign saying reduced
Tube service over the coming or next weekend since South West trains would
be diverted over this route. I remember from my observations now vs. the
late '80s that the link from Wandsworth Town to East Putney is not even 2
way as the viaducts over the main line have been demolished. How are they
going to achieve any service with only 1 line up from Wandsworth Town to
East Putney?

Blimey they did this one weekend last month (alas the one weekend I
needed to use SWT). They ran a shuttle from Wimbledon to Waterloo. I
suppose they just make sure that 2 trains don't use the slip from one
line to the other and LU trains are kept in the platform. There are
presumably points at each end.

The train I was on stopped and picked up (some confused) passengers at
Wimbledon Park

Colin Rosenstiel February 17th 04 06:40 AM

South West Trains over District Line south of East Putney

In article ,
(Martin J) wrote:

When at Putney Bridge yesterday afternoon, I noticed a sign saying reduced
Tube service over the coming or next weekend since South West trains would
be diverted over this route. I remember from my observations now vs. the
late '80s that the link from Wandsworth Town to East Putney is not even 2
way as the viaducts over the main line have been demolished. How are they
going to achieve any service with only 1 line up from Wandsworth Town to
East Putney?
many thanks,

Point Pleasant Junction can still handle two way traffic to and from East
Putney Junction. There is just an extended single lead to just North of East
Putney station.

--
Colin Rosenstiel