Old July 30th 15, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default This month's Oyster refund

Every month I go over my journey history to find all the times when
Oyster has overcharged me. This is usually because of touches not being
recorded despite gates opening, or not being recorded when a gate is
already open, and results in an unresolved journey.

In the month to the 17th of July they overcharged me by £12.40.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
-- Cartoon Law XI

Old July 30th 15, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/07/2015 14:25, David Cantrell wrote:
Every month I go over my journey history to find all the times when
Oyster has overcharged me. This is usually because of touches not being
recorded despite gates opening, or not being recorded when a gate is
already open, and results in an unresolved journey.

In the month to the 17th of July they overcharged me by £12.40.

This *never* happens to me. Really. I don't know what you're doing
wrong. (I can take some guesses I suppose.)
Old August 1st 15, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/07/2015 18:19, Mizter T wrote:

On 30/07/2015 14:25, David Cantrell wrote:
Every month I go over my journey history to find all the times when
Oyster has overcharged me. This is usually because of touches not being
recorded despite gates opening, or not being recorded when a gate is
already open, and results in an unresolved journey.

In the month to the 17th of July they overcharged me by £12.40.

This *never* happens to me. Really. I don't know what you're doing
wrong. (I can take some guesses I suppose.)

This used to happen to me occasionally but not any more.

I find that one can avoid it by never going into a gate when it is open.
Wait a second or so after the last person goes through and then if the
gate re-opens it means your Oyster Card has been read. There is a
problem when you find a station where all the gates have been locked
open for some reason - I don't know the solution here, but I've only
encountered this once or twice and (fingers crossed) not had another
over-charge so far. Of course this means it delays your journey by a
second or so sometimes, but compared to the time it takes to resolve an
unresolved journey, this is a bargain.

One problem I still get now and again is a gate saying "seek assistance"
and failing to open, even though I carefully keep all other RFID cards
away from the reader. I have recently found that if I leave the Oyster
Card pressed against the reader for a few seconds longer then it
suddenly re-reads it and the gate opens. I have no idea why. I have no
doubt that if I blindly barged through a still-open gate under such
circumstances I would, like the OP, get an unresolved journey. I was
afraid that by leaving the card in place I might get charged twice, but
this has so far never occurred.

--
Clive Page
Old August 3rd 15, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 04:22:00PM +0100, Clive Page wrote:
On 30/07/2015 18:19, Mizter T wrote:
On 30/07/2015 14:25, David Cantrell wrote:
Every month I go over my journey history to find all the times when
Oyster has overcharged me. This is usually because of touches not being
recorded despite gates opening, or not being recorded when a gate is
already open, and results in an unresolved journey.
In the month to the 17th of July they overcharged me by ?12.40.

This *never* happens to me. Really. I don't know what you're doing
wrong. (I can take some guesses I suppose.)

Please do! As far as I know the only thing I'm doing that is unusual is
that I bother to check my journey history and claim refunds.

I find that one can avoid it by never going into a gate when it is open.
Wait a second or so after the last person goes through ...

But wasn't Oyster sold to us as being faster than paper tickets? Your
suggestion makes it slower, so is obviously not how TfL intend them to
be used.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

You can't spell AWESOME without ME!
Old August 3rd 15, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:21:14
on Mon, 3 Aug 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
But wasn't Oyster sold to us as being faster than paper tickets?

Depends whether you are counting the time at the gate or the time taken
to buy the paper ticket. Although almost always mine would be a
Travelcard, and they take the same time to buy as a normal train ticket.

Old August 3rd 15, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 13:21:14 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 04:22:00PM +0100, Clive Page wrote:
On 30/07/2015 18:19, Mizter T wrote:
On 30/07/2015 14:25, David Cantrell wrote:
Every month I go over my journey history to find all the times when
Oyster has overcharged me. This is usually because of touches not being
recorded despite gates opening, or not being recorded when a gate is
already open, and results in an unresolved journey.
In the month to the 17th of July they overcharged me by ?12.40.
This *never* happens to me. Really. I don't know what you're doing
wrong. (I can take some guesses I suppose.)

Please do! As far as I know the only thing I'm doing that is unusual is
that I bother to check my journey history and claim refunds.

You sure you're not getting a card clash? Perhaps you're mistaking an error
beep for a normal beep?

I find that one can avoid it by never going into a gate when it is open.
Wait a second or so after the last person goes through ...

But wasn't Oyster sold to us as being faster than paper tickets? Your

What something is sold as and what the real reasons for it are, are generally
not always the same.

--
Spud

Old August 11th 15, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 04:22:00PM +0100, Clive Page wrote:
On 30/07/2015 18:19, Mizter T wrote:
On 30/07/2015 14:25, David Cantrell wrote:
Every month I go over my journey history to find all the times when
Oyster has overcharged me. This is usually because of touches not being
recorded despite gates opening, or not being recorded when a gate is
already open, and results in an unresolved journey.
In the month to the 17th of July they overcharged me by ?12.40.
This *never* happens to me. Really. I don't know what you're doing
wrong. (I can take some guesses I suppose.)

Please do! As far as I know the only thing I'm doing that is unusual is
that I bother to check my journey history and claim refunds.

You sure you're not getting a card clash?

Absolutely 100% positive. I'd have noticed spurious charges on any of my
other cards, and I keep the Oyster card physically seperate from them
for exactly that reason.

Perhaps you're mistaking an error beep for a normal beep?

Dunno. In busy environments with lots of beeping machines,
announcements, people talking, phones ringing and so on - places like
station gate-lines, for example - it's kinda hard to tell whether there
was an error beep, let alone whether it was the specific gate that I'm
using.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use. If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
-- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916