Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 5th 15, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Freedom Pass Intermittent Problems

My new Freedom Pass was issued in March.
It has never been bent or damaged in any way.
Its presented to the card reader in its own
wallet. I do also carry a contactless
card although this is transferred to
my left hand pocket before going
through the barrier.

Despite all this, starting around two weeks
ago it can take two or three attempts with
the card oriented both vertical or horizontal
or swiped, often in two readers for the card
to be read. Sometimes its not read at all.
At other times at various stations I sail through
first time. This seems to vary, week by week.

Having previously not experienced any problems on
buses I now wait until I'm last to board so that
I can show the driver my pass as it usually fails
to register.

I'm aware that I can report this as a faulty
card, but as its only an intermittent fault
- the worst type of all, I could end up being
charged £10 if the Card people fail to replicate
the fault. And presumably the idea of citing
station staff as witnesses by way of pre-prepared
signed statements to the effect that my card
clearly isn't working in their particular readers
(on the next occasion when it doesn't) is out as
they rightly disclaim all knowledge of the
machines and refer all problems to the card
issuer.