London Banter

-   -   Bye Bye Wolmar (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14502-bye-bye-wolmar.html)

Roland Perry September 11th 15 07:52 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...didate-result-
full-breakdown/

[email protected] September 11th 15 11:18 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...e-result-full-
breakdown/

Indeed. I wondered why on earth he thought he had any more chance than the
proverbial icicle in hell.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 12th 15 07:01 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:18:04 -0500,

wrote:

Indeed. I wondered why on earth he thought he had any more chance than
the proverbial icicle in hell.

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters. Personally I
think it'd be a disaster but then I've never been convinced by the so
called "expert" tag people put on him.

I think you need to use people who have experience of running
transport services rather than people who theorise and criticise from
the sidelines. Making transport work properly and effectively is not
an answer job and requires great skill.

Hear hear!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 12th 15 07:23 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 01:30:32 on
Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

tim..... September 12th 15 11:10 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...didate-result-
full-breakdown/

He did better than Liz Kendall (4% of her electorate)

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 12th 15 04:04 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

Roland Perry wrote:
5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...didate-result-
full-breakdown/

That's much better than I expected. He actually managed not to come last,
beating my local MP into that position.

He better hope his railway book reprint project earns him some income next
year, as his pointless campaign has got in the way of his regular book.

Roland Perry September 12th 15 08:17 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 20:28:23 on
Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 08:23:23 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 01:30:32 on
Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

Adonis was SoS wasn't he? Khan was never SoS.

Wikipedia says:

Minister of State for Transport
In office
8 June 2009 - 11 May 2010
Prime Minister Gordon Brown
Preceded by The Lord Adonis
Succeeded by Theresa Villiers

But yes, Adonis was promoted to SoS in June 2009.

They both left post as a result of the 2010 election and were in
position for barely a year with there having been the usual procession
of Ministers who barely manage 24 months in post.

Kahn became the Shadow SoS.

To be frank we do not need a Mayor to be tinkering with organisational
structures. That will waste time and money.

I thought their job was to tinker (with hopefully a good result).

They should also explain how they can justify shovelling mountains of
cash to the TOCs to compensate for their lower revenues compared to
their franchise projections.

Is that the cap and collar arrangements? If so then the TOCs only agreed
to take on the franchise if that safety net was there.

[email protected] September 12th 15 11:23 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 01:30:32
on Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

The track record of Transport Ministers knowing much about the subject is
distinctly poor.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 13th 15 06:59 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 18:23:00
on Sat, 12 Sep 2015, remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

The track record of Transport Ministers knowing much about the subject is
distinctly poor.

He wasn't too bad. I even followed him in that role on Twitter. Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

Recliner[_3_] September 13th 15 12:24 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:23:00
on Sat, 12 Sep 2015, remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

The track record of Transport Ministers knowing much about the subject is
distinctly poor.

He wasn't too bad. I even followed him in that role on Twitter. Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

His father was a bus driver, do he does have some inside knowledge on the
subject.

Arthur Figgis September 13th 15 06:23 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 13/09/2015 07:59, Roland Perry wrote:

Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

stereotype
Or just knows about the Underground line from where he has lived to
where he has worked, and is amazed that all the people who only arrived
after university have actually been to insert name of a place on a
different Underground line, have used National Rail services, still
think deep down that "night bus" is an oxymoron, and claim to have once
seen a tram.
/stereotype

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Recliner[_3_] September 13th 15 06:57 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 13/09/2015 07:59, Roland Perry wrote:

Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

stereotype
Or just knows about the Underground line from where he has lived to where
he has worked, and is amazed that all the people who only arrived after
university have actually been to insert name of a place on a different
Underground line, have used National Rail services, still think deep
down that "night bus" is an oxymoron, and claim to have once seen a tram.
/stereotype

He used to be a civil liberties solicitor, and so probably knows the
Tube/bus routes to all the prisons in London.

Roland Perry September 13th 15 08:18 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at
19:23:42 on Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

stereotype
Or just knows about the Underground line from where he has lived to
where he has worked, and is amazed that all the people who only arrived
after university have actually been to insert name of a place on a
different Underground line, have used National Rail services, still
think deep down that "night bus" is an oxymoron, and claim to have once
seen a tram.
/stereotype

I'd like to see some evidence of that, but although I disagree with much
of his politics the tweets I saw from him while a transport minister
paint a very different picture.

Roland Perry September 13th 15 08:34 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 21:25:59 on
Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

He used to be a civil liberties solicitor, and so probably knows the
Tube/bus routes to all the prisons in London.

More likely he knows how to drive to them or hails a cab. How many
lawyers, who are any good, use public transport to visit clients? Time
is money and all that stuff.

He was born and brought up in London (in a working class family), and
went to University in London. You think he drove or used cabs for any of
that time?

Robin9 September 14th 15 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] (Post 150160)
So what? Working class families don't have cars or their kids don't
learn to drive? Get real.

My reference to the potential use of cabs was in the context of him
being a lawyer and travelling to visit clients in prisons. On the
basis that lawyers are traditionally very busy people they are
unlikely to schlep round London on the bus. They are far more likely
to opt for cabs.

Paul C

. . . the first time I've ever seen Paul Corfield admit that for many people
travelling by car is more sensible than travelling by bus! (I, of course, am
a motorist!)

Roland Perry September 14th 15 08:11 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 00:57:47 on
Mon, 14 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

He was born and brought up in London (in a working class family), and
went to University in London. You think he drove or used cabs for any of
that time?

So what? Working class families don't have cars or their kids don't
learn to drive? Get real.

It's much less likely if they are living in a block of council flats in
Tooting. And driving from there to Camden to go to university would be
bizarre.

Neil Williams September 14th 15 08:28 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 2015-09-13 20:25:59 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

More likely he knows how to drive to them or hails a cab. How many
lawyers, who are any good, use public transport to visit clients? Time
is money and all that stuff.

In my experience the Tube is often a much faster way to travel around
London than a cab, though it can depend on where bus lanes are
provided. For some journeys, my recent observation is that the bicycle
can be by far the quickest.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams September 14th 15 08:45 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 2015-09-14 07:55:54 +0000, Robin9 said:

. . the first time I've ever seen Paul Corfield admit that for many
people
travelling by car is more sensible than travelling by bus! (I, of
course, am
a motorist!)

I'm a pedestrian, a cyclist, a motorist, an air passenger, a ship
passenger, a rail passenger, a bus passenger and probably others I
haven't thought of. I choose the appropriate mode of transport for the
journey being made, IOW, though I'll admit motorcycling doesn't feature
I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Why do we have to typecast ourselves?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry September 14th 15 09:07 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 09:45:04 on Mon, 14
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

I'm a pedestrian, a cyclist, a motorist, an air passenger, a ship
passenger, a rail passenger, a bus passenger and probably others I
haven't thought of. I choose the appropriate mode of transport for the
journey being made, IOW, though I'll admit motorcycling doesn't feature
I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Why do we have to typecast ourselves?

Many of us don't (I'm multimodal like yourself - and add trams if you
like, and obviously minicabs and taxis).

But there quite a few militant cyclists and militant non-car-users, and
people who claim they wouldn't be seen dead on a bike/in a bus. And then
the people who famously would only use a taxi when travelling around
Z1/Z2. So there are many flavours of people around.

Roland Perry September 14th 15 09:26 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 09:28:22 on Mon, 14
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:
More likely he knows how to drive to them or hails a cab. How many
lawyers, who are any good, use public transport to visit clients? Time
is money and all that stuff.

In my experience the Tube is often a much faster way to travel around
London than a cab, though it can depend on where bus lanes are
provided. For some journeys, my recent observation is that the bicycle
can be by far the quickest.

Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination is,
especially late at night.

Neil Williams September 14th 15 09:41 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 2015-09-14 09:26:00 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination is,
especially late at night.

True, though Google Maps and the likes reduce the chance of not knowing
exactly where your destination is these days.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] September 14th 15 09:49 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Oh please. Don't fall for the old "my old man's a busman" routine. Yes
his dad drove route 44 in Tooting but even today the 44 is a different
route to the one he drove. None of that helps you understand what is
needed London wide, what the right contract approach is, what
passenger needs are today or in 10 years time, how to set a strategy,
what level to set bus fares at etc etc etc.

The 44 was one of the few examples of a tram route split by partial
conversion to trolleybuses being put back together again (the 12 tram and
the 612 trolleybus). The 44 started running from London Bridge to Mitcham.
The core of the present route still reflects that history.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 14th 15 09:49 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

Who looked after his Twitter account though? I wasn't so impressed when I
saw him in the flesh at that time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Cantrell September 14th 15 11:50 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 12:24:59PM +0000, Recliner wrote:

His father was a bus driver, do he does have some inside knowledge on the
subject.

My mother makes embroidery stuff for churches. That only gives me inside
knowledge on the gossip in a handful of churches' circles of old ladies.
Having a father who was a bus driver might give you a bit of inside
knowledge on a handful of routes and garages.

My "in" via my mother doesn't clue me in on how the church decides on
its theology, or how it manages its money. Likewise an "in" via a bus
driver tells you not very much at all about the hows and whys of running
an entire city's multi-modal transport network or how to fund it.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Nuke a disabled unborn gay baby whale for JESUS!

[email protected] September 14th 15 07:33 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 09:45:04 on Mon, 14
Sep 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

I'm a pedestrian, a cyclist, a motorist, an air passenger, a ship
passenger, a rail passenger, a bus passenger and probably others I
haven't thought of. I choose the appropriate mode of transport for the
journey being made, IOW, though I'll admit motorcycling doesn't feature
I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Why do we have to typecast ourselves?

Many of us don't (I'm multimodal like yourself - and add trams if you
like, and obviously minicabs and taxis).

But there quite a few militant cyclists and militant non-car-users,
and people who claim they wouldn't be seen dead on a bike/in a bus.
And then the people who famously would only use a taxi when
travelling around Z1/Z2. So there are many flavours of people around.

Far less than you appear to think from my experience of the Cambridge
Cycling Campaign.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 14th 15 07:33 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article ,

On 2015-09-13 20:25:59 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

More likely he knows how to drive to them or hails a cab. How many
lawyers, who are any good, use public transport to visit clients? Time
is money and all that stuff.

In my experience the Tube is often a much faster way to travel around
London than a cab, though it can depend on where bus lanes are
provided. For some journeys, my recent observation is that the
bicycle can be by far the quickest.

That is also my experience of nearly 10 years working in Westminster. Even
when the bike wasn't actually quicker bike was so much more predictable than
the tube between Westminster and King's Cross.

When I stayed at my parents' in Putney I could cycle to Westminster in much
the same time as the tube took (quicker bearing in mind the walking at both
ends). The other advantage was that I got a seat which you almost never get
in the peak at East Putney on the District Line.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams September 14th 15 09:40 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 2015-09-14 19:33:23 +0000, said:

That is also my experience of nearly 10 years working in Westminster. Even
when the bike wasn't actually quicker bike was so much more predictable than
the tube between Westminster and King's Cross.

I can reliably ride a Boris bike from Cannon St to Euston via Holborn
in about 21-22 minutes (I think). By the time you've faffed about with
the silly one way system on the Tube at Bank (they won't let you use
the lifts nor the spiral staircase in the evening peak, despite both
being available and working fine in the morning, so instead you get
crammed down into the Central Line or DLR platforms to get to the
Northern Line) I'm not convinced it isn't slower to go by Tube.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Someone Somewhere September 15th 15 08:01 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 9/14/2015 8:33 PM, wrote:
In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

But there quite a few militant cyclists and militant non-car-users,
and people who claim they wouldn't be seen dead on a bike/in a bus.
And then the people who famously would only use a taxi when
travelling around Z1/Z2. So there are many flavours of people around.

Far less than you appear to think from my experience of the Cambridge
Cycling Campaign.

And far more than you think from my experience living adjacent to CS3,
particularly with the works currently going on (where there are signs
that request "Cyclists Dismount" that none did as I was trying to
traverse that stretch, almost being hit by 5 or 6 overly-entitled
lycra-clad idiots). That's ignoring the average one accident a week I
see (on the same stretch) where pedestrians interact with cyclists who
are oblivious to anything apart from themselves and their mission to get
wherever they are going.

The problem is, they can seemingly organise - I loved reading the
results of the consultation on the changes on Cable Street where, of
those who provided their postcode, only a quarter were within the local
postal area or even one adjacent (E1, E1W, E14, E2, EC) :

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roa...ion-report.pdf

[email protected] September 15th 15 01:37 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article ,

On 2015-09-14 19:33:23 +0000,
said:

That is also my experience of nearly 10 years working in Westminster.
Even when the bike wasn't actually quicker bike was so much more
predictable than the tube between Westminster and King's Cross.

I can reliably ride a Boris bike from Cannon St to Euston via Holborn
in about 21-22 minutes (I think). By the time you've faffed about
with the silly one way system on the Tube at Bank (they won't let you
use the lifts nor the spiral staircase in the evening peak, despite
both being available and working fine in the morning, so instead you
get crammed down into the Central Line or DLR platforms to get to the
Northern Line) I'm not convinced it isn't slower to go by Tube.

I agree it depends on the precise journey. East Putney to Westminster
involves no more changing than cross-platform at Earl's Court and not even
that more than half the time.

Westminster to King's Cross includes a not entirely short interchange at
Green Park and a descent to the bottom of the deep hole that is Westminster
tube station. The bike ride is also about 20 minutes but with my own bike so
none of the overheads of obtaining and docking a Boris bike. Only available
off-peak, obviously.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9 September 15th 15 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Williams (Post 150166)
On 2015-09-14 07:55:54 +0000, Robin9 said:

. . the first time I've ever seen Paul Corfield admit that for many
people
travelling by car is more sensible than travelling by bus! (I, of
course, am
a motorist!)

I'm a pedestrian, a cyclist, a motorist, an air passenger, a ship
passenger, a rail passenger, a bus passenger and probably others I
haven't thought of. I choose the appropriate mode of transport for the
journey being made, IOW, though I'll admit motorcycling doesn't feature
I wouldn't rule it out for the future.

Why do we have to typecast ourselves?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Oh, please! By declaring that I'm a motorist I am not stating that I never use
other modes of transport. I've used LU this afternoon to reach Thames
Magistrates Court and yesterday I travelled between Colney Hatch Lane and
Leyton Midland by bus and LO.

Incidentally, walking is one of my hobbies.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] September 15th 15 07:21 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination is,
especially late at night.

You hope.

I once landed at London City Airport and jumped in a cab to take me to
an important meeting.

"Telehouse, please".
"Where?"

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

[email protected] September 15th 15 08:24 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination is,
especially late at night.

You hope.

I once landed at London City Airport and jumped in a cab to take me
to an important meeting.

"Telehouse, please".
"Where?"

A black cab? Is it not on the list for the "Knowledge"?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] September 16th 15 09:42 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message ,
wrote:
Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination is,
especially late at night.

You hope.

I once landed at London City Airport and jumped in a cab to take me
to an important meeting.

"Telehouse, please".
"Where?"

A black cab? Is it not on the list for the "Knowledge"?

Yes, a proper black cab.

I would have thought it was in the "Knowledge". Perhaps I should have
reported him.

Peter Smyth[_3_] September 16th 15 10:27 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your
destination is, especially late at night.

You hope.

I once landed at London City Airport and jumped in a cab to take
me to an important meeting.

"Telehouse, please".
"Where?"

A black cab? Is it not on the list for the "Knowledge"?

Yes, a proper black cab.

I would have thought it was in the "Knowledge". Perhaps I should have
reported him.

Looks like it is just outside the six mile radius from Charing Cross.

Peter Smyth

Mizter T September 18th 15 03:40 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

On 16/09/2015 22:42, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination
is, especially late at night.

You hope.

I once landed at London City Airport and jumped in a cab to take
me to an important meeting.

"Telehouse, please".
"Where?"

A black cab? Is it not on the list for the "Knowledge"?

Yes, a proper black cab.

I would have thought it was in the "Knowledge". Perhaps I should
have reported him.

Might have been worth a query at least. Despite being the epicentre of
the UK's internet (a description I'm sure to regret...), it might not
have been on the horizon of those in the PCO (as was)/ TfL TPH in charge
of the Knowledge.

[email protected] September 18th 15 11:02 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

wrote:
Cabs are useful if you don't exactly know where your destination
is, especially late at night.

You hope.

I once landed at London City Airport and jumped in a cab to take
me to an important meeting.

"Telehouse, please".
"Where?"

A black cab? Is it not on the list for the "Knowledge"?

Yes, a proper black cab.

I would have thought it was in the "Knowledge". Perhaps I should
have reported him.

Might have been worth a query at least. Despite being the epicentre
of the UK's internet (a description I'm sure to regret...), it might
not have been on the horizon of those in the PCO (as was)/ TfL TPH in
charge of the Knowledge.

I know Telehouse is internet central but how many people go there a day?

--
Colin Rosenstiel