London Banter

-   -   Official geographic Tube map (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14505-official-geographic-tube-map.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] October 6th 15 09:40 PM

Official geographic Tube map

On 2015\10\06 21:34, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
09:10:28 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, remarked:
http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/

I've always wondered about this map. It looks very "precise" but is it
really?

Every time I've checked it, the result is the most accurate I've seen.

For example, a tube line runs under the Western side of Finsbury Park

There's a certain amount of artistic licence at places like Finsbury
Park station, where the various lines are spread out horizontally for
clarity.

(West of the reservoir) but neither the Victoria or Piccadilly lines
are shown so doing - so what's going on there?

Other maps I have confirm the Victoria Line shadowing the Piccadilly as
far as Manor House Station and then the Piccadilly heading north to
Turnpike Lane, under or adjacent to Green Lanes, and the Victoria Line
continuing under Seven Sisters Road.

Both are well east of the lake in the park, which would be a massive
diversion for either line.

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php shows the Vic passing west of
the reservoir.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-... ough_wrapper
shows the Vic running east-west under the reservoir.

The very different portrayals of the line from Seven Sisters -
Northumberland Park Depot are surprising.

The ITO map is definitely more accurate in the Gibson Square area,
because there is a ventilation shaft there. The ITO map also shows the
Jubbly more accurately near Regents Park station, because there is also
a ventilation shaft there.

[email protected] October 6th 15 09:59 PM

Le mardi 6 octobre 2015 22:40:19 UTC+1, Basil Jet a écrit*:

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php shows the Vic passing west of
the reservoir.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-... ough_wrapper
shows the Vic running east-west under the reservoir.

The very different portrayals of the line from Seven Sisters -
Northumberland Park Depot are surprising.

Indeed. Only one of them can be right. Where do they get their data from?

There is a ventilation shaft coming in Finsbury Park roughly to the left of the words "Finsbury Park" in the Rail Map image just above where it draws the Victoria Line. That would be consistent with the ITO map but not, I think, the Carto Metro one, though looking closely it is hard to be sure. None of the three agree though.

Which is why I'm sceptical of any of them.

Francis

Peter Smyth[_3_] October 6th 15 10:36 PM

wrote:

Le mardi 6 octobre 2015 22:40:19 UTC+1, Basil Jet a écrit*:

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php shows the Vic passing west
of the reservoir.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-...37&zoom=15&ope
n_sidebar=clickthrough_wrapper shows the Vic running east-west
under the reservoir.

The very different portrayals of the line from Seven Sisters -
Northumberland Park Depot are surprising.

Indeed. Only one of them can be right. Where do they get their data
from?

There is a ventilation shaft coming in Finsbury Park roughly to the
left of the words "Finsbury Park" in the Rail Map image just above
where it draws the Victoria Line. That would be consistent with the
ITO map but not, I think, the Carto Metro one, though looking
closely it is hard to be sure. None of the three agree though.

Which is why I'm sceptical of any of them.

Francis

There is an official TfL map at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...633/attach/3/U
ndergroundMaps.pdf which more or less matches the ITO map.

Peter Smyth

Roland Perry October 7th 15 06:49 AM

Official geographic Tube map

In message , at 22:40:17 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015,
Basil Jet remarked:
[...]

I'm a bit suspicious of that map because it shows the GN line north of
Old Street under East Road, when we know it's to the west on account of
that auger incident (actual alignment p17):

https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...b940f0b6024100
0157/140213_R032014_Old_Street.pdf

It's also a bit bizarre at Regents Park station, and in convergence with
another thread has Barbican tube station in the wrong place.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-...zoom=15&open_s
idebar=clickthrough_wrapper shows the Vic running east-west under the
reservoir.

It's shown neither under the lake in the park nor under the East/West
reservoirs. But the route just to the south of the lake in the park is
definitely the same as most other maps show.

The very different portrayals of the line from Seven Sisters -
Northumberland Park Depot are surprising.

The ITO map is definitely more accurate in the Gibson Square area,
because there is a ventilation shaft there. The ITO map also shows the
Jubbly more accurately near Regents Park station, because there is also
a ventilation shaft there.

It also makes an attempt at the alignment north of Old Street.

Roland Perry October 7th 15 06:49 AM

Official geographic Tube map

In message , at
14:59:03 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, remarked:
http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php shows the Vic passing west of
the reservoir.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-... ough_wrapper
shows the Vic running east-west under the reservoir.

The very different portrayals of the line from Seven Sisters -
Northumberland Park Depot are surprising.

Indeed. Only one of them can be right. Where do they get their data from?

There is a ventilation shaft coming in Finsbury Park roughly to the left of the words
"Finsbury Park" in the Rail Map image just above where it draws the Victoria Line.

I can't see that, could you zoom in on Google Maps and post a short
link?

That would be consistent with the ITO map but not, I think, the Carto Metro one,

As mentioned earlier, that map suffers a little from the artificial
separation of the under- and over-ground (notTM) stations at Finsbury
Park, so that the tube platforms are a little too far east. Apart from
that it agrees completely with the ITO map.

though looking closely it is hard to be sure. None of the three agree though.

Other than the one with Victoria going west of the lake in the park, all
the others (and more) are broadly in agreement about the routes from
Finsbury Park to Manor House.

Which is why I'm sceptical of any of them.

Roland Perry October 7th 15 07:12 AM

Official geographic Tube map

In message , at
14:59:03 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, remarked:

Where do they get their data from?

Here's some more data, a drawing showing the Victoria Line heading very
much north-east (rather than north) away from the station:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2530/3...0e537361_o.gif

[email protected] October 7th 15 11:58 AM

Le mercredi 7 octobre 2015 07:56:08 UTC+1, Roland Perry a écrit*:

I can't see that, could you zoom in on Google Maps and post a short
link?

I have no idea how to do that. Does the following work:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...ZM&usp=sharing

Just North of the Tennis Courts (that are in use) a some way to the West of the reservoir and a little to the SE of where the Parkland Walk begins.

Francis

Basil Jet[_4_] October 7th 15 12:09 PM

On 2015\10\07 12:58, wrote:
Le mercredi 7 octobre 2015 07:56:08 UTC+1, Roland Perry a écrit :

I can't see that, could you zoom in on Google Maps and post a short
link?

I have no idea how to do that. Does the following work:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...ZM&usp=sharing

Not for me.

Just North of the Tennis Courts (that are in use) a some way to the West of the reservoir and a little to the SE of where the Parkland Walk begins.

That sounds like it's on the former alignment of the line to Highgate.
Are you sure it's not an abandoned viaduct support?

Roland Perry October 7th 15 01:52 PM

Official geographic Tube map

In message , at
04:58:45 on Wed, 7 Oct 2015, remarked:
I can't see that, could you zoom in on Google Maps and post a short
link?

I have no idea how to do that. Does the following work:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...ZM&usp=sharing

No, it requires me to ask you to share it, which I have. Let's see what
happens next.

Normally, all one does is go to the place you want to share, click on
the 'Hamburger' icon in the white box on the top LHS of the screen, pick
"Share or embed", select share (which is usually the default) tick the
"Short URL" box then cut and paste the ensuing url.

Just North of the Tennis Courts (that are in use) a some way to the West
of the reservoir and a little to the SE of where the Parkland Walk begins.

I can't see anything called "Parkland Walk". Is this the feature you
mean: https://goo.gl/maps/7SuSjqD94sC2

[email protected] October 7th 15 03:45 PM

Le mercredi 7 octobre 2015 14:54:07 UTC+1, Roland Perry a écrit*:

I can't see anything called "Parkland Walk". Is this the feature you
mean: https://goo.gl/maps/7SuSjqD94sC2

Yes. It's a ventilation shaft (air - and not very nice air - is pumped out through it). Some years ago they fenced it off and put up barriers around it.