London Banter

-   -   Underground Heritage by Antony Badsey Ellis (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14545-underground-heritage-antony-badsey-ellis.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] October 9th 15 01:27 PM

Underground Heritage by Antony Badsey Ellis

It's about three years old, but I just discovered it. What a beautiful
book! I haven't read the text yet, but so many great pictures of
everything from ventilation grilles to tiling patterns to canopy
supports and valences. I actually bought it, and I think it's about 10
years since I last gave money to the enthusiasm industry, so that's how
impressive it is!

e27002 aurora October 9th 15 01:56 PM

(London) Underground Heritage by Antony Badsey Ellis

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 14:27:38 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

It's about three years old, but I just discovered it. What a beautiful
book! I haven't read the text yet, but so many great pictures of
everything from ventilation grilles to tiling patterns to canopy
supports and valences. I actually bought it, and I think it's about 10
years since I last gave money to the enthusiasm industry, so that's how
impressive it is!

Thanks for the Heads Up. I am checking it out on Amazon, as a possible
purchase.

Until recently one of the few things I would have said in TfL's (LTPB,
LT, LRT) favor was the careful cultivation of their corporate image
and the guarding of their heritage. Sadly, recently I have seen
examples to counter that view.

Clapham North, Leicester Square, and Great Portland Street to name a
few stations. These are less and attractive, and less user friendly,
than they were thirty years back.

Just the same TfL is custodian of some magnificent structures.

e27002 aurora November 1st 15 01:10 PM

wrote:

It's about three years old, but I just discovered it. What a beautiful
book! I haven't read the text yet, but so many great pictures of
everything from ventilation grilles to tiling patterns to canopy
supports and valences. I actually bought it, and I think it's about 10
years since I last gave money to the enthusiasm industry, so that's how
impressive it is!

My copy arrived this morning. It really is a lovely, small sized,
coffee table book. It is reminder of just how the rich is the
"UndergrounD" heritage.

Thanks for the recomendation.