Old February 21st 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Athens subway

8pm, History Channel, Friday 19th March.

'Athens Subway'

Programme documenting the construction of the Athens Subway in time for
the 2004 Olympic Games. Programme charts the progress of the
construction and how the engineers had to work with archaeologists to
construct what has been dubbed 'A Metro Within A Museum'.

Sounds interesting.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old February 23rd 04, 06:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Andrew P Smith
writes
'Athens Subway'

Programme documenting the construction of the Athens Subway in time for
the 2004 Olympic Games.

That wording is slightly misleading - Athens has had an underground
metro for some years. I presume they're talking about extensions for the
Olympics.

I remember one station where some of the passageways pass through Nth
century BC buildings, all left exactly where it was but carefully
illuminated and labelled behind glass).

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 23rd 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
8pm, History Channel, Friday 19th March.

'Athens Subway'

Oooh

And it's on the Hitler channel too !

Old February 25th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
That wording is slightly misleading - Athens has had an underground
metro for some years. I presume they're talking about extensions for
the Olympics.

The last time I used the Athens subway was a few years ago but it was an
interesting experience to see their response to a train failure.

The train suddenly stopped between stations and only the emergency
lights stayed on. After a couple of minutes there was an announcement,
the gist of which a kindly local translated for us. Then the doors
opened, and in a fairly orderly fashion we all jumped or slid or were
helped to the ground; then we all trooped along to the nearest station,
all without the appearance of a guard or any obvious member of staff.
Some lights were on in the tunnel, so the evacuation wasn't at all
difficult. The nearest station was only a couple of hundred meters away
and fortunately for us was the one we had been planning to alight at; so
we just walked up the sloping end of the platform and exited normally.

I couldn't help thinking that in London, with a similar technical
failure, we'd probably have been trapped for hours. As it was, everyone
used their common sense and we all got out with only a small delay, and
only a few grumbled complaints.

--
Clive Page
Old February 25th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote:
In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
[...]

Mass unsupervised evacuation of passengers on to the track of a 3rd-rail
electrified railway doesn't sound like "common sense" to me. How did
people know the current wasn't about to come on again? Is the live rail
shielded?
--
Richard J.

Old February 26th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Clive Page wrote:

I couldn't help thinking that in London, with a similar technical
failure, we'd probably have been trapped for hours. As it was,
everyone used their common sense and we all got out with only a small
delay, and only a few grumbled complaints.

Mass unsupervised evacuation of passengers on to the track of a 3rd-rail
electrified railway doesn't sound like "common sense" to me. How did
people know the current wasn't about to come on again? Is the live rail
shielded?

Is it 3rd rail? The Moscow underground, for example, is overhead
electrified.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old February 27th 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Terry Harper" wrote in message ...
"Richard J." wrote in message
Clive Page wrote:

I couldn't help thinking that in London, with a similar technical
failure, we'd probably have been trapped for hours. As it was,
everyone used their common sense and we all got out with only a small
delay, and only a few grumbled complaints.

Mass unsupervised evacuation of passengers on to the track of a 3rd-rail
electrified railway doesn't sound like "common sense" to me. How did
people know the current wasn't about to come on again? Is the live rail
shielded?

Is it 3rd rail? The Moscow underground, for example, is overhead
electrified.

No it isn't , its 3rd rail like most of the east european metro systems
(that mostly all use the same type of russian built train just as an aside).
I believe its 850V DC and is broad gauge but I'm not 100% sure.

B2003
Old February 28th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

m...

"Richard J." wrote in message
Clive Page wrote:

[...]

Isn't Barcelona overhead electrified?