Old February 21st 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Mad Ken" on borrowed time ?

I'm sick of seeing the words "mayor of London" on posters too. Unfortunately,
whereas we might have wanted a proper local authority for London again, what we
got was this presidential bollox, which they've also tried to push through
elsewhere.
In case anyone tells me that its what people voted for, I must remind them it
was Hobson's Choice - you either had to vote for this system or none at all.
(first time I ever spoilt a ballot paper, and I know I'm not alone, but of
course spoilt papers don't count).
In fairness to Ken Livingstone, he was not too keen on the system either, but
decided to try and make the best of it. And most Londoners saw a vote for him
as the chance to thrust up two fingers to both Mrs.T in restrospect and Tony
Blair today.
Plus remembering that some of Ken's "mad" ideas like Fare's Fair had actually
worked.
It looks as though Livingstone might get re-elected, whatever his faults. Maybe
because (a)if we are to have this 'personality' politics, people prefer a
politician who has one, and (b) however bad
some of his ideas may seem, his opponents don't seem to have any.