London Banter

-   -   Crossrail Rolling Stock (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14650-crossrail-rolling-stock.html)

[email protected] November 22nd 15 03:15 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

I wonder if they plan to do a mock up anywhere in town.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/11/her...g-as-standard/

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 15 03:35 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

wrote:
I wonder if they plan to do a mock up anywhere in town.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/11/her...g-as-standard/

Do we know why the initial TfL Rail sets for the Liverpool Street to
Shenfield service will only be seven-car? Are there some current platform
length restrictions?

Basil Jet[_4_] November 22nd 15 10:16 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015\11\22 21:53, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:35:54 -0000 (UTC), Recliner

I wonder if they plan to do a mock up anywhere in town.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/11/her...g-as-standard/

Do we know why the initial TfL Rail sets for the Liverpool Street to
Shenfield service will only be seven-car? Are there some current platform
length restrictions?

As a follow up to my other post I have subsequently found this on the
web.

"2.4.4 Following the introduction of Crossrail services, the number of
platforms at London Liverpool Street station will reduce from 18 to
17. This is to enable platforms 16 and 17 to be lengthened to
accommodate Crossrail trains; platform 18 will be taken out of
commission."

Maybe I'm being really thick, but I see no reason why the trains running
through Liverpool Street deep have to fit in Liverpool Street surface.
Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to do it.

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 15 11:21 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

The new trains will be running into Liverpool St surface platforms before
the tunnel opens, hence the need for the initial batch to be shorter to
fit.

Even after the tunnel opens, some Crossrail trains will serve the surface
platforms, hence the need to lengthen (some of) the surface platforms. But
fewer surface platforms will be needed when most of the Shenfield trains
will be using the tunnel.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 24th 15 02:15 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015\11\24 12:50, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 23:16:27 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\11\22 21:53, Paul Corfield wrote:

As a follow up to my other post I have subsequently found this on the
web.

"2.4.4 Following the introduction of Crossrail services, the number of
platforms at London Liverpool Street station will reduce from 18 to
17. This is to enable platforms 16 and 17 to be lengthened to
accommodate Crossrail trains; platform 18 will be taken out of
commission."

Maybe I'm being really thick, but I see no reason why the trains running
through Liverpool Street deep have to fit in Liverpool Street surface.
Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to do it.

The service level to be provided on the Shenfield line is such that
not all peak trains can run via the tunnel. Therefore some have to
run into the surface platforms. It's as simple as that. To allow the
9 car Class 345s to run into the local platforms on the east side of
LST requires the platform modifications.

I didn't make myself clear. I meant that I see no reason why the trains
terminating at Liverpool Street have to be as long as the trains going
through to Paddington. Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to
do it. How long are these trains and platforms now? Why would the
introduction of Crossrail bring about an increase in the number of
people using Liverpool Street, because I would expect a decrease.

Eric[_3_] November 24th 15 03:00 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

wrote:

[...]

Because over time the cost of not having a uniform fleet (spare sets,
scheduling problems for the normal timetable, flexibility when something
goes wrong ...) is probably greater than the cost of fiddling with
the end of one platform (2 faces). That's all its about. There _will_
be fewer passengers (and fewer trains) at Liverpool Street ("surface"),
so there's no reason not to lose one platform that is just long enough
for an 8-car 315.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

[email protected] November 24th 15 03:16 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:00:09 +0100
On 2015-11-24, Basil Jet wrote:
I didn't make myself clear. I meant that I see no reason why the trains
terminating at Liverpool Street have to be as long as the trains going
through to Paddington. Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to
do it. How long are these trains and platforms now? Why would the
introduction of Crossrail bring about an increase in the number of
people using Liverpool Street, because I would expect a decrease.

Because over time the cost of not having a uniform fleet (spare sets,
scheduling problems for the normal timetable, flexibility when something
goes wrong ...) is probably greater than the cost of fiddling with

Thats something LU finally figured out when it ordered the S stock.

the end of one platform (2 faces). That's all its about. There _will_
be fewer passengers (and fewer trains) at Liverpool Street ("surface"),
so there's no reason not to lose one platform that is just long enough
for an 8-car 315.

So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground has
started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

--
Spud

Basil Jet[_4_] November 24th 15 03:17 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-24, Basil Jet wrote:

I didn't make myself clear. I meant that I see no reason why the trains
terminating at Liverpool Street have to be as long as the trains going
through to Paddington. Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to
do it. How long are these trains and platforms now? Why would the
introduction of Crossrail bring about an increase in the number of
people using Liverpool Street, because I would expect a decrease.

Because over time the cost of not having a uniform fleet (spare sets,
scheduling problems for the normal timetable, flexibility when something
goes wrong ...) is probably greater than the cost of fiddling with
the end of one platform (2 faces). That's all its about. There _will_
be fewer passengers (and fewer trains) at Liverpool Street ("surface"),
so there's no reason not to lose one platform that is just long enough
for an 8-car 315.

I suppose when you add up all the costs involved it does make sense!

Eric[_3_] November 24th 15 04:09 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

No, the existing Shenfield trains use 16,17,18. When Crossrail opens
they will go through the centre (i.e. the new Liverpool Street Crossrail
platforms) except for some in the peak that will go into the existing
Liverpool Street using platforms 16 and 17 - 18 will have been lost to
make 16 and 17 long enough.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

[email protected] November 24th 15 04:13 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:09:11 +0100
On 2015-11-24, d wrote:
So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground has
started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

No, the existing Shenfield trains use 16,17,18. When Crossrail opens
they will go through the centre (i.e. the new Liverpool Street Crossrail
platforms) except for some in the peak that will go into the existing
Liverpool Street using platforms 16 and 17 - 18 will have been lost to
make 16 and 17 long enough.

Yes, so a platform has been lost. And this is when TfL will at some point
want to increase the frequency of the Overground running to LS.

--
Spud

[email protected] November 24th 15 05:15 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

The Overground doesn't use that side (the old Electric Lines) of Liverpool
St, platforms 11-18. It uses some of the lowest numbered platforms (1-4?)
though it shares with AGA on them.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 24th 15 05:29 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground has
started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

No, the existing Shenfield trains use 16,17,18. When Crossrail opens
they will go through the centre (i.e. the new Liverpool Street Crossrail
platforms) except for some in the peak that will go into the existing
Liverpool Street using platforms 16 and 17 - 18 will have been lost to
make 16 and 17 long enough.

Yes, so a platform has been lost. And this is when TfL will at some point
want to increase the frequency of the Overground running to LS.

They don't use that side of the station, though. Is it even accessible from
Bethnal Green junctions?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Eric[_3_] November 24th 15 05:31 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground has
started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

No, the existing Shenfield trains use 16,17,18. When Crossrail opens
they will go through the centre (i.e. the new Liverpool Street Crossrail
platforms) except for some in the peak that will go into the existing
Liverpool Street using platforms 16 and 17 - 18 will have been lost to
make 16 and 17 long enough.

Yes, so a platform has been lost. And this is when TfL will at some point
want to increase the frequency of the Overground running to LS.

A platform which Overground trains could not get to without destroying
the capacity of the station throat.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Basil Jet[_4_] November 24th 15 05:46 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground has
started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

No, the existing Shenfield trains use 16,17,18. When Crossrail opens
they will go through the centre (i.e. the new Liverpool Street Crossrail
platforms) except for some in the peak that will go into the existing
Liverpool Street using platforms 16 and 17 - 18 will have been lost to
make 16 and 17 long enough.

Yes, so a platform has been lost. And this is when TfL will at some point
want to increase the frequency of the Overground running to LS.

A platform which Overground trains could not get to without destroying
the capacity of the station throat.

I think he was suggesting that the tracks into the platforms all be
budged over one, rather than that trains from the westernmost track use
the easternmost platform. I have no idea how easy it would be to do that.

[email protected] November 24th 15 08:11 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

In article , (Basil Jet)

On 2015-11-24,
Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
[...]

Aren't 9 and 10 the only ones that can take the Norwich trains?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 24th 15 08:11 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 12:15:10 -0600,

wrote:

The Overground doesn't use that side (the old Electric Lines) of
Liverpool St, platforms 11-18. It uses some of the lowest numbered
platforms (1-4?) though it shares with AGA on them.

P1-7 - some peak LOROL services get as far across as Platform 7. As
you say the station is shared with AGA who run trains out of platforms
1-15 in totality. TfL Rail have P16-18 routinely but can run out of
other platforms if required.

I think 9 & 10 are for Norwich services with AGA services on 11-15 separate
from those on 1-8.

As I am sure you know the services are "grouped" into batches of
platforms to avoid excessive crossing of tracks in the station throat
at busy times.

Indeed. Which means that AGA services are subdivided into WA & mainline
groups.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Eric[_3_] November 25th 15 10:50 AM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-24, wrote:
In article ,
(Basil Jet)

On 2015-11-24,
Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
[...]

No. All are long enough except 16,17,18. In terms of track layout
(getting to and from the fast lines), all of 5-14 seem to be possible,
and I have seen all of 8-12 myself over the years.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

[email protected] November 25th 15 05:24 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-24,

wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-11-24,
Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
[...]

I thought 9 and 10 were longer than the rest. Or did that go in the
rebuilding? I usually do see Norwich loco and DVT trains there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Eric[_3_] November 25th 15 05:48 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015-11-25, wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-11-24,

wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-11-24,
Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
[...]

Yes.

I usually do see Norwich loco and DVT trains there.

Yes, they are the usual platforms. 8 used to be used a lot at one time,
but I don't know about now.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry

Roland Perry November 26th 15 07:27 AM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

In message , at 12:24:31
on Wed, 25 Nov 2015, remarked:
[...]

According to this map they are all the same length, apart fro 17 & 18
which are slightly shorter:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/ht...tml?rtnloc=LST

Martin Petrov[_2_] November 26th 15 04:40 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

"2.4.4 Following the introduction of Crossrail services, the number of
platforms at London Liverpool Street station will reduce from 18 to 17.
This is to enable platforms 16 and 17 to be lengthened to accommodate
Crossrail trains; platform 18 will be taken out of commission."

That does imply that there's some period where there will be only 2
platforms available at Liv St, but that they won't be extended to cope
with 9 cars by that point? Presumably there will be a period when 9 cars
will go through the tunnel, but all surface services will still be 7?

Martin Petrov[_2_] November 26th 15 04:45 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:15:02 +0000, wrote:

I wonder if they plan to do a mock up anywhere in town.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/11/her...ide-crossrail-
train-carriages-4g-wi-fi-and-air-conditioning-as-standard/

While I'm sure I could find this somewhere if I looked myself (*cough*)
are there numbers to hand which would give the capacity of the current 7
car trains (standing and seated) against 7 cars of the new Crossrail
stock, and then the 9 cars of the Crossrail stock?

I'm keen to know how much extra capacity will be unlocked by the move.

(it did pain me a little when I found out the actual number of trains
along the Shenfield line won't significantly increase post Crossrail,
though the lengthening and improving of the rolling stock will make a
decent difference, even if it's only short term before it fills up)

Basil Jet[_4_] November 26th 15 05:50 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

On 2015\11\26 17:40, Martin Petrov wrote:

"2.4.4 Following the introduction of Crossrail services, the number of
platforms at London Liverpool Street station will reduce from 18 to 17.
This is to enable platforms 16 and 17 to be lengthened to accommodate
Crossrail trains; platform 18 will be taken out of commission."

That does imply that there's some period where there will be only 2
platforms available at Liv St, but that they won't be extended to cope
with 9 cars by that point? Presumably there will be a period when 9 cars
will go through the tunnel, but all surface services will still be 7?

Or there will be a period where all trains from Shenfield go though the
tunnel.

Martin Petrov[_2_] November 27th 15 07:42 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

While I'm sure I could find this somewhere if I looked myself (*cough*)
are there numbers to hand which would give the capacity of the current 7
car trains (standing and seated) against 7 cars of the new Crossrail
stock, and then the 9 cars of the Crossrail stock?

The existing trains are two 4 car class 315 units running in mulitple.
Therefore 8 cars. The loadings are so bad people can't board trains and
TfL Rail has recently starting banning entry to llford station with
people forced to queue outside due to platform overcrowding.

I'm keen to know how much extra capacity will be unlocked by the move.

(it did pain me a little when I found out the actual number of trains
along the Shenfield line won't significantly increase post Crossrail,
though the lengthening and improving of the rolling stock will make a
decent difference, even if it's only short term before it fills up)

Does Wikipedia not give some capacity info for 315s and 345s (CR
trains)?

Wikipedia had some of the info, but I did find this elsewhe

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tachment_data/
file/4153/tpecapacities.pdf

Class 315 (data is for 4 cars, so doubling up)

636 seats
226 standing
862 total

Class 345 (data is for 9 cars, rather than 10 - is the 10 car set up for
later?)

450 seats
1150 standing
1500 total

(which is a pretty significant total increase....)

[email protected] November 27th 15 11:54 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

In article ,

*Subject:* Crossrail Rolling Stock
*From:* Paul Corfield
*Date:* Fri, 27 Nov 2015 23:23:01 +0000

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 20:42:38 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov
wrote:

Wikipedia had some of the info, but I did find this elsewhe

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tachment_data/
file/4153/tpecapacities.pdf

Class 315 (data is for 4 cars, so doubling up)

636 seats
226 standing
862 total

Class 345 (data is for 9 cars, rather than 10 - is the 10 car set up

for later?)

450 seats
1150 standing
1500 total

(which is a pretty significant total increase....)

You did better than me on the 315 capacities. I found seating but not
standing capacities.

the 345s will initially be 7 cars when they run into Liv St prior to
May 2019. From that point they need to be 9 cars and will have the 2
cars re-inserted for running through the tunnel. I think when
Crossrail takes over Heathrow Connect in May 2018 that those trains
will be 9 cars but they'll run solely on the surface at that time.
There is no 10 car design. The 345s are extendable to 11 cars and
the central area platforms are all built to that length but may need
finishing / fitting out whenever the 11 car decision is taken.

Timeline

May 2017 - 345s enter service Shenfield - Liv St (surface) 7 cars
May 2018 - Crossrail takes over Heathrow T4 - Paddington "Connect"
service. 9 cars.
Dec 2018 - Paddington (low level) - Abbey Wood service starts. 9 cars
May 2019 - Paddington (low level) - Shenfield service added. 9 cars
Dec 2019 - Full through service Shenfield / Abbey Wood - Heathrow /
Reading. 9 cars.
Sometime in the future - trains possibly extended to 11 cars.

The point of the 9-car Crossrail Aventras is that they are the length of a
10-car train of standard stock, e.g. 315s, which are 20m long. So the class
345 cars will be ~22m long, making a 7-car train similar in length to an
8-car class 315 formation.

These lengths are a bit approximate as was discovered when they wanted to
run 12-car trains of class 365 stock from Cambridge to King's Cross.
Platform 1 was supposed to be long enough for 12-car trains. It is, but only
for class 317s. 365s are that little bit longer and wouldn't fit between the
starting signal and the scissors crossover, hence expensive platform
lengthening work.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] November 29th 15 07:59 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

In message , Eric
wrote:
Aren't 9 and 10 the only ones that can take the Norwich trains?

No. All are long enough except 16,17,18.

[Someone may have said this before, but I haven't seen it.]

Before the complete rebuild, 9 and 10 were significantly longer than the
rest. Then were the east side (11 to 18) which I think stayed the same
length when rebuilt, while the west side (1 to 8) were a lot shorter
(something like 6 or 8 chains).

In terms of track layout
(getting to and from the fast lines), all of 5-14 seem to be possible,
and I have seen all of 8-12 myself over the years.

The Suburbans connect to 1 to 10.

The Mains connect to 5 to 14.

The Electrics connect to 13 to 18, though Bishopgate Jn means that a
train on the Up Electric can switch to the Up Main.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

[email protected] November 29th 15 11:14 PM

Crossrail Rolling Stock

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message , Eric
wrote:
Aren't 9 and 10 the only ones that can take the Norwich trains?

No. All are long enough except 16,17,18.

[Someone may have said this before, but I haven't seen it.]

Before the complete rebuild, 9 and 10 were significantly longer than
the rest. Then were the east side (11 to 18) which I think stayed the
same length when rebuilt, while the west side (1 to 8) were a lot
shorter (something like 6 or 8 chains).

Wasn't the throat moved east and the west side platforms extended at the
country end?

In terms of track layout
(getting to and from the fast lines), all of 5-14 seem to be possible,
and I have seen all of 8-12 myself over the years.

The Suburbans connect to 1 to 10.

The Mains connect to 5 to 14.

The Electrics connect to 13 to 18, though Bishopgate Jn means that a
train on the Up Electric can switch to the Up Main.

Thanks for the details, complete as ever, Clive.

--
Colin Rosenstiel