London Banter

-   -   TfL Live Map (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14702-tfl-live-map.html)

Lew 1[_4_] December 29th 15 06:18 AM

TfL Live Map

The TfL live map currently shows the circle and H&C lines as not running
between Baker Street and Aldgate. This is correct. However the map would
also seem to show that the Metropolitan line is running through to Aldgate.

However, clicking through to the details of the Circle closure reveals that
'The Metropolitan line does not run between Baker Street and Aldgate at
these times'.

This is very misleading, I wonder why they're doing this. is this purely so
they can advertise a Good Service on the Metropolitan line? In which case,
surely correct travel information should trump this?

(I'm transferring from Thameslink to Paddington... Now planning to use West
Hampstead to Paddington via Baker Street.)

Lew

Roland Perry December 29th 15 07:28 AM

TfL Live Map

In message , at
07:18:15 on Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Lew 1 remarked:
The TfL live map currently shows the circle and H&C lines as not running
between Baker Street and Aldgate. This is correct. However the map would
also seem to show that the Metropolitan line is running through to Aldgate.

However, clicking through to the details of the Circle closure reveals that
'The Metropolitan line does not run between Baker Street and Aldgate at
these times'.

This is very misleading, I wonder why they're doing this. is this purely so
they can advertise a Good Service on the Metropolitan line? In which case,
surely correct travel information should trump this?

Are they saying that the "through City Service" isn't running anyway,
due to the holiday period?

Lew 1[_4_] December 29th 15 09:35 AM

TfL Live Map

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
07:18:15 on Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Lew 1 remarked:
The TfL live map currently shows the circle and H&C lines as not running
between Baker Street and Aldgate. This is correct. However the map would
also seem to show that the Metropolitan line is running through to Aldgate.

However, clicking through to the details of the Circle closure reveals that
'The Metropolitan line does not run between Baker Street and Aldgate at
these times'.

This is very misleading, I wonder why they're doing this. is this purely so
they can advertise a Good Service on the Metropolitan line? In which case,
surely correct travel information should trump this?

Are they saying that the "through City Service" isn't running anyway,
due to the holiday period?

I don't know, but surely the point of the Live Map is to see at a glance
what's running and what's not? That's no good at all if they're trying to
fiddle the figures by not showing some closures.

Roland Perry December 29th 15 10:19 AM

TfL Live Map

In message , at
10:35:08 on Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Lew 1 remarked:
[...]

Is it a "closure" though, rather than a planned timetable alteration for
the period in question? I don't know - perhaps in previous years they
ran through to the City during the whole holiday.

Basil Jet[_4_] December 29th 15 10:29 AM

TfL Live Map

On 2015\12\29 07:18, Lew 1 wrote:

The TfL live map currently shows the circle and H&C lines as not running
between Baker Street and Aldgate. This is correct. However the map would
also seem to show that the Metropolitan line is running through to Aldgate.

However, clicking through to the details of the Circle closure reveals that
'The Metropolitan line does not run between Baker Street and Aldgate at
these times'.

This is very misleading, I wonder why they're doing this. is this purely so
they can advertise a Good Service on the Metropolitan line? In which case,
surely correct travel information should trump this?

(I'm transferring from Thameslink to Paddington... Now planning to use West
Hampstead to Paddington via Baker Street.)

Isn't Paddington completely shut? Or am I reading too much into your use
of the word "transferring" ...

Lew 1[_4_] December 29th 15 05:42 PM

TfL Live Map

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Honestly, I don't know.

But I really think it's a moot point: The Metropolitan lines runs through
to Aldgate. If it isn't for any reason, I would expect to see that on the
live map. The Waterloo And City shows as 'disrupted' every Sunday.

Lew

Lew 1[_4_] December 29th 15 05:42 PM

TfL Live Map

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\12\29 07:18, Lew 1 wrote:

The TfL live map currently shows the circle and H&C lines as not running
between Baker Street and Aldgate. This is correct. However the map would
also seem to show that the Metropolitan line is running through to Aldgate.

However, clicking through to the details of the Circle closure reveals that
'The Metropolitan line does not run between Baker Street and Aldgate at
these times'.

This is very misleading, I wonder why they're doing this. is this purely so
they can advertise a Good Service on the Metropolitan line? In which case,
surely correct travel information should trump this?

(I'm transferring from Thameslink to Paddington... Now planning to use West
Hampstead to Paddington via Baker Street.)

Isn't Paddington completely shut? Or am I reading too much into your use
of the word "transferring" ...

Well, unless I imagined getting my train to Cardiff from Paddington this
morning ;)

Lew

Offramp December 31st 15 07:45 AM

TfL Live Map

On Tuesday, 29 December 2015 18:42:59 UTC, Lew 1 wrote:

Is it a "closure" though, rather than a planned timetable alteration for
the period in question? I don't know - perhaps in previous years they
ran through to the City during the whole holiday.

Honestly, I don't know.

But I really think it's a moot point...

What is a "moot point"?

Roland Perry December 31st 15 08:15 AM

TfL Live Map

In message , at
00:45:17 on Thu, 31 Dec 2015, Offramp remarked:
On Tuesday, 29 December 2015 18:42:59 UTC, Lew 1 wrote:

Is it a "closure" though, rather than a planned timetable alteration for
the period in question? I don't know - perhaps in previous years they
ran through to the City during the whole holiday.

Honestly, I don't know.

But I really think it's a moot point...

What is a "moot point"?

There's a model railway layout on display in the USA that includes
stations called "Moot Point" and "Glottal Stop".

Robin9 December 31st 15 09:23 AM

In normal, colloquial English the phrase "moot point" means
an idea which is highly debatable and is certainly not
accepted by everyone.

The phrase is often employed on Internet fora. Person A
makes an assertion. Person B replies "Well, that's a moot
point." What Person B means is "I don't accept that but
for the sake of this discussion, I'll let it pass this time."