Old January 2nd 16, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster outage

"Thousands of rail, bus and Tube passengers enjoyed free
transport on Saturday after London’s Oyster card network
collapsed.

Barriers are rail and tube stations were opened by staff after
Oyster card 'reader' machines used to register the start and end
of each journey failed to work throughout the network."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-
transport/12077955/Londons-Oyster-card-system-crashes-giving-thousands-
free-travel.html

I wonder if this is a random fault, or a "Y2K" type of problem.

I remember when the Nottingham City Transport smartcard had one of the
latter at New Year in around 2006.

Old January 2nd 16, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
"Thousands of rail, bus and Tube passengers enjoyed free
transport on Saturday after London’s Oyster card network
collapsed.

Barriers are rail and tube stations were opened by staff after
Oyster card 'reader' machines used to register the start and end
of each journey failed to work throughout the network."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-
transport/12077955/Londons-Oyster-card-system-crashes-giving-thousands-
free-travel.html

I wonder if this is a random fault, or a "Y2K" type of problem.

I remember when the Nottingham City Transport smartcard had one of the
latter at New Year in around 2006.

I notice that the handwritten sign says that contactless cards should be
used as normal, so the fault was specifically with the Oyster system. Apart
from the change of year, there was also the normal New Year's free travel
-- I wonder if the attempt to re-set to normal chargeable travel failed?

Old January 2nd 16, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:38:40 on Sat, 2 Jan 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I wonder if this is a random fault, or a "Y2K" type of problem.

I remember when the Nottingham City Transport smartcard had one of the
latter at New Year in around 2006.

I notice that the handwritten sign says that contactless cards should be
used as normal, so the fault was specifically with the Oyster system. Apart
from the change of year, there was also the normal New Year's free travel
-- I wonder if the attempt to re-set to normal chargeable travel failed?

The free travel thing points even more to a Y2K style problem, if the
charging system wasn't active yesterday. In the Nottingham case it
wasn't spotted until the 2nd because no buses ran on the 1st.

ps I note some NatWest debit cards had outages on the 1st: another Y2K
problem perhaps.
Old January 2nd 16, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The free travel ended at 0430 1st Jan and there weren't any reports of
problems yesterday. I'm guessing it is relating to the annual fares
increase which takes effect today, there was probably some sort of
update being pushed out to the gates overnight which has failed.

Peter Smyth
Old January 2nd 16, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote on 02 Jan 2016 at 09:50 ...
[...]

For decades, computer systems have exhibited faults after a holiday
period, caused often by problems in restarting hardware or software
after a holiday outage or reverting to normal operation after
non-standard holiday operation, or caused by changes to the system that
were applied during the holiday. Why are you assuming that this
particular instance was in any way similar to Y2K?

--
Richard J.

Old January 2nd 16, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:12:16 on Sat, 2 Jan
2016, Richard J. remarked:
The free travel thing points even more to a Y2K style problem, if the
charging system wasn't active yesterday. In the Nottingham case it
wasn't spotted until the 2nd because no buses ran on the 1st.

ps I note some NatWest debit cards had outages on the 1st: another Y2K
problem perhaps.

For decades, computer systems have exhibited faults after a holiday
period, caused often by problems in restarting hardware or software
after a holiday outage or reverting to normal operation after
non-standard holiday operation, or caused by changes to the system that
were applied during the holiday. Why are you assuming that this
particular instance was in any way similar to Y2K?

Firstly, because a very similar incident *was* tracked down to that
cause, and secondly the other routine issues you mention ought to be
well understood and planned for during a holiday period.

Plus the fact they are having to talk to their suppliers to work out a
fix, rather than applying a clue-bat to the sysadmin-du-jour.
Old January 2nd 16, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 11:00:45 -0000 (UTC), "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

Recliner wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Yes, that appears to have been the problem.
Old January 2nd 16, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:00:45 on Sat, 2 Jan 2016,
Peter Smyth remarked:

The free travel ended at 0430 1st Jan and there weren't any reports of
problems yesterday.

That's a good point. I was expecting the free travel to have been all
day on the 1st.
Old January 2nd 16, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

ISTR that the "contracted out" admin and the suppliers are the same people

tim

Old January 2nd 16, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:33:58 on Sat, 2 Jan 2016,
tim..... remarked:

Plus the fact they are having to talk to their suppliers to work out
a fix, rather than applying a clue-bat to the sysadmin-du-jour.

ISTR that the "contracted out" admin and the suppliers are the same people

The admin are son-of-EDS and the suppliers Cubic, I thought.