London Banter

-   -   Topping-up pre-pay at newsagents' terminals (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1476-topping-up-pre-pay-newsagents.html)

Steph Davies February 24th 04 12:00 PM

Topping-up pre-pay at newsagents' terminals

Is this possible?

I went into a newsagent last night and tried to put £1 on my Oyster
pre-pay.

He didn't seem to understand and all he wanted to do was sell me a bus
pass. Luckily I managed to stop him doing it before he tried to
charge me!

I suspect it is possible to top-up pre-pay at newsagents, and I just
want to know how to phrase the question so that the newsagent will
understand.

TIA,
Steph

K February 24th 04 01:25 PM

Topping-up pre-pay at newsagents' terminals

On 24 Feb 2004 05:00:46 -0800, (Steph Davies)
wrote:

I suspect it is possible to top-up pre-pay at newsagents,

It is - a colleague of my did it at the newsagent her.

and I just
want to know how to phrase the question so that the newsagent will
understand.

Can I put £x prepay on my Oystercard please? :-)

Helen Deborah Vecht February 24th 04 02:44 PM

Topping-up pre-pay at newsagents' terminals

(Steph Davies)typed

I suspect it is possible to top-up pre-pay at newsagents, and I just
want to know how to phrase the question so that the newsagent will
understand.

Look, I've lived in the London Borough of Brent for four years and I
STILL don't speak Gujerati so I can't help you...

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Just me and the world February 26th 04 02:48 AM

Topping-up pre-pay at newsagents' terminals

I would have thought any newsagent who has a Paypoint terminal or similar
apparatus in his mini emporium, would know what it is you want to do.
However, it is highly possible that the actual newsagent (who knows how to
use the machine)was at the mosque and therefore his wife's second brothers
third cousins (twice removed) mother may have been standing in for him.

It should simply be a matter of asking to add £1 (I believe this is the
smallest denomination you can re-credit) to your card

om...

Steph Davies February 26th 04 07:58 AM

wrote:

I suspect it is possible to top-up pre-pay at newsagents,

It is - a colleague of my did it at the newsagent here.

and I just
want to know how to phrase the question so that the newsagent will
understand.

Can I put £x prepay on my Oystercard please? :-)

If only it were that simple :-) The guy just didn't know what I
wanted and kept trying to put a bus pass on it.

What I was hoping for was a list of talk-through instructions to tell
the guy how to do it, something like:

1. Press the "Top-up Oystercard" button on your screen
2. Then choose the "Cash top-up"
3. Choose the amount

etc...

Step-by-step instructions that would work with any newsagent, even one
who didn't know what you were asking for!

As Oyster bus pre-pay hasn't officially launched I guess there aren't
many people on the right side of the river topping up cash yet.

So, any newsagent travelcard system experts in here..?