London Banter

-   -   London Overground expansion (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14763-london-overground-expansion.html)

[email protected] January 23rd 16 02:59 PM

London Overground expansion

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

And Paul (not for the first time IMV!) has the right of it.

And so say all of us!

It's all very well providing 'affordable housing' and very laudable
it is. Not everybody is able to afford or even wish to buy their own
property, however cheap you might make it.

So the answer is that old fashioned council house (social housing
nowadays). They are available to the masses at a price that can be
afforded. Yes they may need to be subsidised to a point but isn't
that what Society is about and better than tax credits? Supporting
our weaker members should be what 'we' do?

The world has become obsessed with people being able to purchase and
I'm not convinced it's helpful.

While I agree with you that we desperately need more affordable homes to
rent I have this nagging feeling from the people deciding all this living in
houses they are buying or have bought yet want to deny the same to others...

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9 January 24th 16 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 153550)
In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

[...]

Even if it is true that some of those advocating a huge
increase in public housing have questionable motives, it
is incontravertible that a larger stock of council houses
will affect the entire housing market and reduce pressure
on prices. To some extent this will make it easier for
would-be buyers.