London Banter

-   -   Urban Myths? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14780-urban-myths.html)

robin_b.clay%[email protected] February 8th 16 11:25 PM

Urban Myths?

On Tuesday, July 20, 1999 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Phil Clark wrote:
Isn't there an underground subsurface station somewhere that has a big
pipe with the Tyburn in it running above the platforms next to the
passenger footbridge? It might even be Baker Street BICBW

You are wrong. It's Sloan Square Station. The sewer pipe was damaged by a bomb in WW II, resulting in raw sewage flowing into the station.

And I have a suspicion that it's not the Ty Burn, but is actually the King's Scholars' Pond sewer ? BIMBW ;-)

Basil Jet[_4_] February 9th 16 12:15 AM

Urban Myths?

On 2016\02\09 00:25, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 20, 1999 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Phil Clark wrote:
Isn't there an underground subsurface station somewhere that has a big
pipe with the Tyburn in it running above the platforms next to the
passenger footbridge? It might even be Baker Street BICBW

You are wrong. It's Sloan Square Station. The sewer pipe was damaged by a bomb in WW II, resulting in raw sewage flowing into the station.

And I have a suspicion that it's not the Ty Burn, but is actually the King's Scholars' Pond sewer ? BIMBW ;-)

It's the River Westbourne. I haven't heard about the wartime incident,
but I would imagine the "sewage" the pipe contained was run-off from the
streets rather than flushnuggets.

Grebbsy McLaren February 10th 16 07:40 PM

Urban Myths?

It was a dark and stormy night when Basil Jet
wrote in article ...
On 2016\02\09 00:25, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 20, 1999 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Phil Clark wrote:
Isn't there an underground subsurface station somewhere that has a big
pipe with the Tyburn in it running above the platforms next to the
passenger footbridge? It might even be Baker Street BICBW

You are wrong. It's Sloan Square Station. The sewer pipe was damaged by a

bomb in WW II, resulting in raw sewage flowing into the station.

And I have a suspicion that it's not the Ty Burn, but is actually the King's

Scholars' Pond sewer ? BIMBW ;-)

It's the River Westbourne. I haven't heard about the wartime incident,
but I would imagine the "sewage" the pipe contained was run-off from the
streets rather than flushnuggets.

The bomb that hit Sloane Square caused a lot of damage, taking out the
nice new escalators that had only just been put in, and killing over 30
people, but somehow managed not to fracture the pipe.

Grebbsy McLaren