London Banter

-   -   UTL meet (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14787-utl-meet.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] February 16th 16 11:08 AM

UTL meet

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for that?

Someone Somewhere February 16th 16 11:24 AM

UTL meet

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

[email protected] February 16th 16 03:37 PM

UTL meet

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim... February 16th 16 07:16 PM

UTL meet

wrote in message
In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

The Flask in Hampstead, bit far but a not impossible walk :-)

tim

eastender[_5_] February 16th 16 07:52 PM

UTL meet

On 2016-02-16 20:16:08 +0000, tim... said:

wrote in message
In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

The Flask in Hampstead, bit far but a not impossible walk :-)

tim

But your name isn't Henry.

E.

David C[_2_] February 16th 16 11:07 PM

UTL meet

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:37:06 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

The Barking Dog at Barking?
Weatherspoons, so reasonable food & beer.

---

Robin9 February 18th 16 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] (Post 153910)
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:37:06 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

Ferry Boat Inn down the road from Blackhorse Road? [1] You can sit
outside in the sunshine and watch the trains go past. :-)

http://www.theferryboatlondon.co.uk/

It's also a shortish stroll to T Hale for those who would prefer a
main line train into Liv St or north into Essex / Cambs.

The Line's User Group do have a "refreshment" page on their website
but not sure how up to date it is. The Standard by Blackhorse Rd is
long gone as much of the area behind it is being demolished.

http://www.barking-gospeloak.org.uk/refreshment.htm

[1] a sllightly selfish option as I can get home on the bus directly
from the pub. Best to own up now!

--
Paul C

The Ferry Boat Inn used to be a good pub with a decent menu.
I haven't frequented it for several years so it may have changed.
I recall it's linked to The Three Jolly Wheelers at Woodford Bridge:
same menu, same all-day business model, same lay-out inside.

e27002 aurora February 18th 16 09:53 AM

UTL meet

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:08:58 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for that?

Do we know the actual date of the closure? I know its June. But, the
day of the month does not appear anywhere I have seen.

[email protected] February 18th 16 03:25 PM

UTL meet

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:37:06 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

Ferry Boat Inn down the road from Blackhorse Road? [1] You can sit
outside in the sunshine and watch the trains go past. :-)

http://www.theferryboatlondon.co.uk/

It's also a shortish stroll to T Hale for those who would prefer a
main line train into Liv St or north into Essex / Cambs.

Now you're talking!

The Line's User Group do have a "refreshment" page on their website
but not sure how up to date it is. The Standard by Blackhorse Rd is
long gone as much of the area behind it is being demolished.

http://www.barking-gospeloak.org.uk/refreshment.htm

[1] a sllightly selfish option as I can get home on the bus directly
from the pub. Best to own up now!

Sounds fairly promising, especially in June.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jarle Hammen Knudsen February 18th 16 05:46 PM

UTL meet

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:37:06 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 16/02/2016 12:08, Basil Jet wrote:

We haven't had one for a few years. I'm thinking that the last day
before the Goblin closes in June might be a time for us to meet up,
travel the line together and then retire to a pub. Is anyone up for
that?

Will we be going via Clapham Junction?

Depends on how long a tour you want. Where would one find a pub close to
Goblin?

The Southampton Arms near Gospel Oak always has great beer and ciders
from small independent breweries. I like to visit this pub if can when
I'm in London.
http://www.thesouthamptonarms.co.uk/

Only problem is it's quite small, so fills up quickly. You could meet
up there, then travel the line and retire to one of the larger pubs in
Barking.

--
jhk