London Banter

-   -   Colindale tall building (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14856-colindale-tall-building.html)

Offramp March 25th 16 07:17 PM

Colindale tall building

Just outside Colindale station, to the right, there is a new building being erected lol.

It seems to be being constructed entirely from Containers sellotaped together. I mean those sea containers.

Has anyone seen it. Is this normal construction? And how can it take so long?

eastender[_5_] March 25th 16 08:35 PM

Colindale tall building

On 2016-03-25 19:17:51 +0000, Offramp said:

Just outside Colindale station, to the right, there is a new building
being erected lol.

It seems to be being constructed entirely from Containers sellotaped
together. I mean those sea containers.

Has anyone seen it. Is this normal construction? And how can it take so long?

Quite common now - I've seen home units made out of containers on
Trinity Buoy Wharf near East India and of course there's the Boxpark
shops at Shoreditch. They make quick shop and living spaces.

[email protected] March 25th 16 11:03 PM

Colindale tall building

On 25.03.16 19:17, Offramp wrote:
Just outside Colindale station, to the right, there is a new building being erected lol.

It seems to be being constructed entirely from Containers sellotaped together. I mean those sea containers.

Has anyone seen it. Is this normal construction? And how can it take so long?

Another hipster hangout?

Offramp March 25th 16 11:36 PM

Colindale tall building

But why is it taking such a long time?

Adrian Caspersz March 26th 16 10:10 AM

Colindale tall building

On 26/03/16 08:59, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On 25.03.16 19:17, Offramp wrote:
Just outside Colindale station, to the right, there is a new building being erected lol.

It seems to be being constructed entirely from Containers sellotaped
together. I mean those sea containers.

Has anyone seen it. Is this normal construction? And how can it take so long?

Another hipster hangout?

In Colindale?

Could be this. Ye can see the concrete fire escape tower on streetview.

"18 storey
building comprising apart-hotel use to 55 rooms and 319 student
accommodation units (Sui Generis) with associated communal space. "

https://barnet.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s9902/Site%20to%20the%20rear%20of%20Colindale%20Station% 20Plaza%20comprising%20land%20of%20Former%20Statio n%20House%20and%20part%20of%20Form.pdf

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/barnrt1

Nothing in there references sea containers though.

--
Adrian C

Offramp March 26th 16 10:30 AM

Colindale tall building

wrote:
[...]

Yes. That is it. I wish I had taken a picture of the sea containers.

MikeS[_2_] March 26th 16 10:51 AM

Colindale tall building

wrote:
On 25.03.16 19:17, Offramp wrote:
Just outside Colindale station, to the right, there is a new
building being erected lol.

It seems to be being constructed entirely from Containers sellotaped
together. I mean those sea containers.

Has anyone seen it. Is this normal construction? And how can it
take so long?

Another hipster hangout?

In Colindale?

Could be this. Ye can see the concrete fire escape tower on streetview.

"18 storey
building comprising apart-hotel use to 55 rooms and 319 student
accommodation units (Sui Generis) with associated communal space. "

http://preview.tinyurl.com/barnrt1

Nothing in there references sea containers though.

Thanks. Like Offramp I have been puzzled by this construction and its
purpose. Apart from the strange container-like units and snail like
progress it also appears to have almost no windows. Seems very odd even
for students.

Noted the comment about the "Colindale transport hub" - a whole new way
of describing a tube station with one bus stop for two local routes
(opposite stop is a long way down the road).

eastender[_5_] March 26th 16 11:07 AM

Colindale tall building

On 2016-03-25 23:36:44 +0000, Offramp said:

But why is it taking such a long time?

Maybe because it's going up as one building and it's big? These ones in
the links below at Trinity Buoy Wharf have been added to I think.

http://www.dekhduniya.com/wp-content...ity-London.jpg

http://www.urbanspace.com/assets/upl...NT_16.7.14.jpg

https://londonunveiled.files.wordpre.../07/fatboy.jpg

My kids go to school on the wharf at a small school called Faraday -
the man himself used to do experiments in the lighthouse and there's a
hut with some of his stuff to see.

Offramp March 26th 16 12:21 PM

Colindale tall building

On 2016-03-25 23:36:44 +0000, Offramp said:

But why is it taking such a long time?

Maybe because it's going up as one building and it's big?

But all they have to do is put one container on top of another and sellotape them together. How hard can it be, as the bishop said to the actress.