London Banter

-   -   What are 'table tops'? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14863-what-table-tops.html)

eastender[_5_] April 6th 16 01:27 PM

What are 'table tops'?

Looking at the register of roadworks I can see near us there is:

"SCHEMES - FOOTWAY - Renew F/w, Install Table tops"

Start date: 21/03/2016
End date: 10/06/2016

can't see any activity yet - I presume is some pavement improvements
but what are table tops?

Robin9 April 6th 16 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastender[_5_] (Post 154888)
Looking at the register of roadworks I can see near us there is:

"SCHEMES - FOOTWAY - Renew F/w, Install Table tops"

Start date: 21/03/2016
End date: 10/06/2016

can't see any activity yet - I presume is some pavement improvements
but what are table tops?

I live in Waltham Forest which has an anti-motor car Council.
They install speed humps at every opportunity. "Table tops" is
the term they use for speed humps installed at junctions and
which cover the entire road surface at the junction.

Roy April 6th 16 04:22 PM

What are 'table tops'?

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 9:27:06 AM UTC-4, eastender wrote:
Looking at the register of roadworks I can see near us there is:

"SCHEMES - FOOTWAY - Renew F/w, Install Table tops"

Start date: 21/03/2016
End date: 10/06/2016

can't see any activity yet - I presume is some pavement improvements
but what are table tops?

Traffic calming perhaps - those big "humps"?
--
Roy

Roland Perry April 6th 16 05:24 PM

What are 'table tops'?

In message , at
09:22:22 on Wed, 6 Apr 2016, Roy remarked:

can't see any activity yet - I presume is some pavement improvements
but what are table tops?

Traffic calming perhaps - those big "humps"?

Probably, although I think they are normally called "tables" rather than
"table tops".

http://www.ite.org/traffic/table.asp

Mizter T April 6th 16 05:54 PM

What are 'table tops'?

On 06/04/2016 14:27, eastender wrote:
Looking at the register of roadworks I can see near us there is:

"SCHEMES - FOOTWAY - Renew F/w, Install Table tops"

Start date: 21/03/2016
End date: 10/06/2016

can't see any activity yet - I presume is some pavement improvements but
what are table tops?

They are like a speed bump that covers a whole junction or a pedestrian
crossing point.

https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/speed-table.shtml

Robin[_4_] April 7th 16 08:34 AM

What are 'table tops'?

On 06/04/2016 18:54, Mizter T wrote:

Those look gentle compared with some which are used in 20 mph zones to
"calm" traffic on otherwise fast stretches of road. Eg the ones in
Homerton Road by Hackney Marshes have such steep edges that many buses
have to crawl over them if they are not to ground.

--
Robin

[email protected] April 9th 16 05:35 PM

What are 'table tops'?

I had read somewhere that there were plans in the works somewhere to
introduce tables that rose only when a certain posted speed was exceeded.

Kind of like the timed signals that you see on the London Underground or
the New York City Subway.

Offramp April 9th 16 07:15 PM

What are 'table tops'?

I am a non-driver and a non-bicyclist.

I think that the best traffic-calming system is yet to be discovered.

Mizter T April 11th 16 04:50 PM

What are 'table tops'?

On 09/04/2016 20:15, Offramp wrote:
I am a non-driver and a non-bicyclist.

I think that the best traffic-calming system is yet to be discovered.

Valium for agitated drivers? Though probably best if said drivers didn't
leave their front door after it was administered...