London Banter

-   -   Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14869-crossrail-poor-interchanges-now-he.html)

eastender[_5_] April 12th 16 07:36 PM

Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

"...commuters needing to change from Crossrail on to the tube or other
services could find time savings eroded by the distances they need to
cover within stations, according to Andrew Adonis, the chairman of the
national infrastructure commission."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...gh-lord-adonis

Robin9 April 13th 16 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastender[_5_] (Post 154927)
"...commuters needing to change from Crossrail on to the tube or other
services could find time savings eroded by the distances they need to
cover within stations, according to Andrew Adonis, the chairman of the
national infrastructure commission."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...gh-lord-adonis

Indeed.

"I tried as a minister at the last minute to unpick this,
but it was too late."

His last minute as a minister was in 2010. Why has he waited
six years?

Roland Perry April 13th 16 08:15 AM

Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

In message 20160412203633525-email@domaincom, at 20:36:33 on Tue, 12
Apr 2016, eastender remarked:
"...commuters needing to change from Crossrail on to the tube or other
services could find time savings eroded by the distances they need to
cover within stations, according to Andrew Adonis, the chairman of the
national infrastructure commission."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...nterchanges-no
t-good-enough-lord-adonis

Presumably this is because they are employing the same architects who
perpetrated horrors like the walk from SPILL to the Victoria Line under
Kings Cross?

Judging by the plans published a few months ago, Crossrail 2 to Euston
is going to be another one of these route marches.

Roland Perry April 13th 16 10:21 AM

Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

In message , at 06:52:11 on Wed, 13
Apr 2016, Robin9 remarked:

http://tinyurl.com/zf3zan6

Indeed.

"I tried as a minister at the last minute to unpick this,
but it was too late."

His last minute as a minister was in 2010. Why has he waited
six years?

He wasn't wearing the hat of "Chairman of the Infrastructure Commission"
until very recently.

Robin[_4_] April 13th 16 10:49 AM

On 12/04/2016 20:36, eastender wrote:
"...commuters needing to change from Crossrail on to the tube or other
services could find time savings eroded by the distances they need to
cover within stations, according to Andrew Adonis, the chairman of the
national infrastructure commission."

What he doesn't say there is whether the time savings in the investment
appraisal were based on unrealistic times for interchanges. If they
were based on realistic times, the time savings are not eroded.

Commuters' expectations may be unrealistic but ISTM that's another matter.

--
Robin

Robin9 April 13th 16 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Perry (Post 154932)
In message , at 06:52:11 on Wed, 13
Apr 2016, Robin9
remarked:

"...commuters needing to change from Crossrail on to the tube

or other
services could find time savings eroded by the distances they need to
cover within stations, according to Andrew Adonis, the chairman of the
national infrastructure commission."

http://tinyurl.com/zf3zan6

Indeed.

"I tried as a minister at the last minute to unpick this,
but it was too late."

His last minute as a minister was in 2010. Why has he waited
six years?

He wasn't wearing the hat of "Chairman of the Infrastructure Commission"
until very recently.

True, but in the interim period he wasn't hiding his light
under a bushel. He was forever popping up on radio programmes,
posing as the font of all wisdom on public transport matters.
I don't watch television but I imagine he had a pulpit there too.

piatkow April 13th 16 10:54 PM

Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

Of course before Crossrail the tube trains pulled up alongside the terminating main line ones at Paddington and Liverpool Street and there was never a long treck across the concourse and through a maze of tunnels.

Roland Perry April 14th 16 08:49 AM

Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

In message , at 17:58:57 on Wed, 13
Apr 2016, Robin9 remarked:
"I tried as a minister at the last minute to unpick this,
but it was too late."

His last minute as a minister was in 2010. Why has he waited
six years?-

He wasn't wearing the hat of "Chairman of the Infrastructure Commission"

until very recently.

True, but in the interim period he wasn't hiding his light
under a bushel. He was forever popping up on radio programmes,
posing as the font of all wisdom on public transport matters.
I don't watch television but I imagine he had a pulpit there too.

This business of ex-ministers playing Hamlet's Ghost can only be taken
so far. In this case perhaps something so specific was wiser to leave
until he had a relevant official part to the play.

Roland Perry April 14th 16 08:53 AM

Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

In message , at
15:54:40 on Wed, 13 Apr 2016, Piatkow
remarked:
Of course before Crossrail the tube trains pulled up alongside the
terminating main line ones at Paddington

Only one of the tube lines.

and Liverpool Street

Do you mean Stratford?

and there was never a long treck across the concourse and through
a maze of tunnels.

Another change which has been substantially elongated is Thameslink to
Victoria/Piccadilly at Kings Cross/St Pancras. Previously it was a much
shorter passage (still extant).