Old April 28th 16, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxu demos at KXStP

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:58:55 +0100, JNugent wrote:
On 27/04/2016 21:30, David Walters wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:54:48 +0100, JNugent wrote:
On 27/04/2016 20:27, David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:06:22 +0100, JNugent wrote:
On 27/04/2016 17:28, David Walters wrote:

Perhaps there should be, if there isn't already, an online database
that is available to all that allows the insurance status of a vehicle
and driver combination to be checked in realtime. Pushing bits of paper
around seems like the wrong thing to do.

It does already exist but it's not available to all.

But apparently not TfL or private hire operator licence holders.

Private companies ought not to be able to gain access to private data on
government computer systems (DoT, PNC) in any case,

With permission from the person the data is about they should. Like
hire vehicle comapnies can now check your driving licence online.

How do you know it would not be abused?

Since I'm coming from the view that the insurance details of a vehicle
used on the public highway to provide a service to the public should
be public knowledge I can't think of an abuse of that information. It's
probably a failure of my imagination though, perhaps you can enlighten me?

Insurance data isn't primarily on a govenment computer system anyway
but the Motor Insurers' Bureau system or the insurance comapny which
are private companies.

Maybe if there were a special register of vehicles with hire and reward
insurance and NO public hire (taxi) licence.

Why would you exclude insured taxis?

Old April 28th 16, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/04/2016 10:19, David Walters wrote:
[...]

I would exclude *everything* except licensed "private hire" cars.

There is no need for a private hire operator to check your car, or mine.