London Banter

-   -   Another bridge! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14912-another-bridge.html)

Mizter T May 4th 16 04:32 PM

Another bridge!

On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be more.

Off the top of my head, I can't think there's really a decent
alternative route for high vehicles even vaguely nearby - e.g.
travelling westwards once they come through Forest Hill it's already
sort of too late. Which is why any tall lorry that's had its route
planned properly shouldn't be coming this way, but there's obviously
plenty for which that doesn't apply.

Graeme Wall May 4th 16 04:46 PM

Another bridge!

On 04/05/2016 17:32, Mizter T wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be more.

Off the top of my head, I can't think there's really a decent
alternative route for high vehicles even vaguely nearby - e.g.
travelling westwards once they come through Forest Hill it's already
sort of too late. Which is why any tall lorry that's had its route
planned properly shouldn't be coming this way, but there's obviously
plenty for which that doesn't apply.

Up the Croxted Road and back down the Norwood road would do it.
Clearances of 15'6" and more that way.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Mizter T May 4th 16 04:54 PM

Another bridge!

On 04/05/2016 17:46, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:32, Mizter T wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be
more.

Off the top of my head, I can't think there's really a decent
alternative route for high vehicles even vaguely nearby - e.g.
travelling westwards once they come through Forest Hill it's already
sort of too late. Which is why any tall lorry that's had its route
planned properly shouldn't be coming this way, but there's obviously
plenty for which that doesn't apply.

Up the Croxted Road and back down the Norwood road would do it.
Clearances of 15'6" and more that way.

The left hand turn from Croxted Rd into Norwood Rd looks pretty iffy to
me for an artic, and Croxted Rd itself isn't ideal.

Lowering the road under the problem bridge would be one way to deal with
the matter, but I suspect that TPTB don't really want to encourage
larger lorries to come this way.

[email protected] May 4th 16 05:11 PM

Another bridge!

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously_

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

I think it was already posted here.

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be
more.

Off the top of my head, I can't think there's really a decent
alternative route for high vehicles even vaguely nearby - e.g.
travelling westwards once they come through Forest Hill it's already
sort of too late. Which is why any tall lorry that's had its route
planned properly shouldn't be coming this way, but there's obviously
plenty for which that doesn't apply.

Did we establish if there are advance height checks as on Upper Richmond
Road on the approach to East Putney?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] May 4th 16 05:21 PM

Another bridge!

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

The fundamental problem is that it's the South Circular Road which exists
only as a series of sign posts. It should be signed as local roads only and
lorries should be forced to use the M25.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Charles Ellson[_2_] May 4th 16 06:25 PM

Another bridge!

On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:54:05 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:46, Graeme Wall wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:32, Mizter T wrote:

On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be
more.

Off the top of my head, I can't think there's really a decent
alternative route for high vehicles even vaguely nearby - e.g.
travelling westwards once they come through Forest Hill it's already
sort of too late. Which is why any tall lorry that's had its route
planned properly shouldn't be coming this way, but there's obviously
plenty for which that doesn't apply.

Up the Croxted Road and back down the Norwood road would do it.
Clearances of 15'6" and more that way.

I would expect most big stuff is non-local traffic whose safe routes
should be avoiding the area rather than just the bridge. What's the
betting a fair number of car satnavs will be found in the offending
vehicles ?

The left hand turn from Croxted Rd into Norwood Rd looks pretty iffy to
me for an artic, and Croxted Rd itself isn't ideal.

Lowering the road under the problem bridge would be one way to deal with
the matter,

Not necessarily a practical option if there's something under the
surface that can't be easily moved.

[email protected] May 5th 16 08:14 AM

Another bridge!

On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be more.

Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they could
do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then idiots ignore
flashing lights at level crossings so...

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] May 5th 16 08:43 AM

Another bridge!

wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be more.

Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they could
do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then idiots ignore
flashing lights at level crossings so...

I think the only solution is to have a sturdy steel beam, painted in
luminous paint, a few metres before the bridge (and obviously mounted so
that, even if hit, no force is transferred to the bridge parapets). The
beam might be a few cm below the bridge, but there might also be a hanging
fringe below that so it's right in the driver's eye line.

[email protected] May 5th 16 08:54 AM

Another bridge!

In article , d () wrote:

On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be
more.

Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they could
do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then idiots
ignore flashing lights at level crossings so...

Are there warning signs in advance though? Those trigger alarms I understand.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] May 5th 16 09:12 AM

Another bridge!

On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
Couldn't see the signs, obviously…

We discussed this bridge on the South Circular (on Thurlow Park Rd in
Tulse Hill) recently, maybe it was over on utl (which I've x-posted to).

There's already extensive signage, but I guess there could always be more.

Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they could
do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then idiots ignore
flashing lights at level crossings so...

I think the only solution is to have a sturdy steel beam, painted in
luminous paint, a few metres before the bridge (and obviously mounted so
that, even if hit, no force is transferred to the bridge parapets). The
beam might be a few cm below the bridge, but there might also be a hanging
fringe below that so it's right in the driver's eye line.

Well he failed to spot the pretty obvious warning signs on the bridge so I
doubt this particular Einstein would have seen a painted beam either. But as
you say, at least the bridge wouldn't get hit.

--
Spud

Sam Wilson May 5th 16 09:18 AM

Another bridge!

In article , d wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:

[signage, flashing lights, level crossings, idiots, steel beams,
luminous paint, hanging fringe]

As always: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Clive Page[_3_] May 5th 16 09:18 AM

Another bridge!

On 05/05/2016 09:14, d wrote:
Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they could
do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then idiots ignore
flashing lights at level crossings so...

I agree, it seems impossible to not notice. Shouldn't drivers who miss
signs such as this be required to take another driving test (which I
understand now includes an element that tests one's ability to notice
hazards on the road) and also an eyesight test before being allowed to
continue?

Just the knowledge that this would be the result of a bridge bash might
be enough to make drivers of high vehicles just a little bit more careful.

--
Clive Page

Tim Watts[_3_] May 5th 16 09:22 AM

Another bridge!

On 05/05/16 09:43, Recliner wrote:

I think the only solution is to have a sturdy steel beam, painted in
luminous paint, a few metres before the bridge (and obviously mounted so
that, even if hit, no force is transferred to the bridge parapets). The
beam might be a few cm below the bridge, but there might also be a hanging
fringe below that so it's right in the driver's eye line.

The only solution is ruinous punitive damages plus criminal charges
levelled against the driver.

If a bridge strike cost their insurers £50000 and the driver 6 points, I
be the standard of reading would shoot up overnight.

Tim Watts[_3_] May 5th 16 09:23 AM

Another bridge!

On 05/05/16 10:18, Clive Page wrote:
On 05/05/2016 09:14, d wrote:
Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they
could
do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then idiots
ignore
flashing lights at level crossings so...

I agree, it seems impossible to not notice. Shouldn't drivers who miss
signs such as this be required to take another driving test (which I
understand now includes an element that tests one's ability to notice
hazards on the road) and also an eyesight test before being allowed to
continue?

Just the knowledge that this would be the result of a bridge bash might
be enough to make drivers of high vehicles just a little bit more careful.

No - 6 points on license. That would soon stop their carefree attitude
and propensity to buy cheap non-truck grade GPS satnavs.

[email protected] May 5th 16 09:51 AM

Another bridge!

In article ,
(Sam Wilson) wrote:

In article ,
d wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
On 04/05/2016 17:17, Graeme Wall wrote:

[signage, flashing lights, level crossings, idiots, steel beams,
luminous paint, hanging fringe]

As always: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

Cool! Now, why don't Network Rail try that?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] May 5th 16 09:51 AM

Another bridge!

d wrote:
Looking at the signs they've already got I'm not sure what more they
could do other than have overheight flashing warning lights. But then
idiots ignore flashing lights at level crossings so...

I agree, it seems impossible to not notice. Shouldn't drivers who miss
signs such as this be required to take another driving test (which I
understand now includes an element that tests one's ability to notice
hazards on the road) and also an eyesight test before being allowed to
continue?

Just the knowledge that this would be the result of a bridge bash might
be enough to make drivers of high vehicles just a little bit more
careful.

No - 6 points on license. That would soon stop their carefree
attitude and propensity to buy cheap non-truck grade GPS satnavs.

Not enough. They should be disqualified at least and made to re-take tests.
These are professional drivers who are not fit and proper people to be on
the roads if they cannot handle their large vehicles safely.

They should also be charged with endangering passengers on the railway and
sent to jail if that is what they have done. I can't understand why the
worst level crossing cases are never charged with that when that is what the
idiots are doing.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry May 5th 16 10:05 AM

Another bridge!

In message , at 09:12:50 on Thu, 5 May
2016, d remarked:
I think the only solution is to have a sturdy steel beam, painted in
luminous paint, a few metres before the bridge (and obviously mounted so
that, even if hit, no force is transferred to the bridge parapets). The
beam might be a few cm below the bridge, but there might also be a hanging
fringe below that so it's right in the driver's eye line.

Well he failed to spot the pretty obvious warning signs on the bridge so I
doubt this particular Einstein would have seen a painted beam either.

Are we sure he ignored the signs, rather than forgot (or didn't properly
know) the height of his vehicle. Forgetting what you are driving is just
about the only reason one of the fairly regular double-decker bus bashes
happens.

Martin Coffee May 5th 16 10:35 AM

Another bridge!

On 05/05/2016 09:14, d wrote:
I agree, it seems impossible to not notice. Shouldn't drivers who miss
signs such as this be required to take another driving test (which I
understand now includes an element that tests one's ability to notice
hazards on the road) and also an eyesight test before being allowed to
continue?

Just the knowledge that this would be the result of a bridge bash might
be enough to make drivers of high vehicles just a little bit more
careful.

No - 6 points on license. That would soon stop their carefree attitude
and propensity to buy cheap non-truck grade GPS satnavs.

No 11 points on license. That really would make them think.

[email protected] May 5th 16 10:49 AM

Another bridge!

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 09:12:50 on Thu, 5 May
2016,
d remarked:
I think the only solution is to have a sturdy steel beam, painted in
luminous paint, a few metres before the bridge (and obviously mounted so
that, even if hit, no force is transferred to the bridge parapets). The
beam might be a few cm below the bridge, but there might also be a
hanging fringe below that so it's right in the driver's eye line.

Well he failed to spot the pretty obvious warning signs on the bridge so
I doubt this particular Einstein would have seen a painted beam either.

Are we sure he ignored the signs, rather than forgot (or didn't
properly know) the height of his vehicle. Forgetting what you are
driving is just about the only reason one of the fairly regular
double-decker bus bashes happens.

Either way it's a major failure to meet the standard of driving expected of
people driving such large vehicles.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

D A Stocks[_2_] May 5th 16 12:33 PM

Another bridge!

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:12:50 on Thu, 5 May 2016,
d remarked:
I think the only solution is to have a sturdy steel beam, painted in
luminous paint, a few metres before the bridge (and obviously mounted so
that, even if hit, no force is transferred to the bridge parapets). The
beam might be a few cm below the bridge, but there might also be a
hanging
fringe below that so it's right in the driver's eye line.

Well he failed to spot the pretty obvious warning signs on the bridge so I
doubt this particular Einstein would have seen a painted beam either.

Are we sure he ignored the signs, rather than forgot (or didn't properly
know) the height of his vehicle. Forgetting what you are driving is just
about the only reason one of the fairly regular double-decker bus bashes
happens.

It's a shipping container that hit the bridge, so the driver may well have
been caught out by the size of that.

Another solution for fixed height vehicles would be to mandate the fitting
of warning devices to the vehicles themsleves; I saw a very effective radar
system in use on a coach some years ago. However, this would be harder to
put into practise for vehicles like this one that can carry a variable
height load.

--
DAS

Tim Watts[_3_] May 5th 16 01:46 PM

Another bridge!

On 05/05/16 13:33, D A Stocks wrote:

It's a shipping container that hit the bridge, so the driver may well
have been caught out by the size of that.

If he was caught "off guard" he is incompetent or careless IMO. One of
his duties is to know exactly the clearance height of his vehicle.

[email protected] May 5th 16 01:49 PM

Another bridge!

In article , (D A Stocks)
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:12:50 on Thu, 5
May 2016,
d remarked:
[...]

Shipping containers are standard sizes so I don't accept not knowing the
height as an excuse. So vehicle-located warning devices would be very
practical.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] May 5th 16 03:41 PM

Another bridge!

On 2016\05\05 10:12, d wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

A diagonal beam guiding the vehicle into a sandpit might be a better
idea at some locations. Not very cycle-friendly though.

Graeme Wall May 6th 16 07:22 AM

Another bridge!

On 05/05/2016 10:12, d wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

A low tunnel in Sydney (I think) has a water curtain with a big no entry
sign projected on it right in front of the driver if a heigh vehicle
passes the sensor.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] May 6th 16 07:29 AM

Another bridge!

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 05/05/2016 10:12, d wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Do you mean this one that Sam Wilson posted upthread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

Graeme Wall May 6th 16 07:57 AM

Another bridge!

On 06/05/2016 08:29, Recliner wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 05/05/2016 10:12, d wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:32:41 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
[...]

That's it, missed Sam's post first time round as I'm playing catch up.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Mike Bristow May 6th 16 09:15 AM

Another bridge!

In article ,
wrote:
As always: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

Cool! Now, why don't Network Rail try that?

It is cool. Does it work during daylight hours? Wouldn't just a
simple traffic light work as well?

--
Mike Bristow

Basil Jet[_4_] May 6th 16 12:57 PM

Another bridge!

On 2016\05\06 10:15, Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
As always: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

Cool! Now, why don't Network Rail try that?

It is cool. Does it work during daylight hours? Wouldn't just a
simple traffic light work as well?

A sulphuric acid curtain would work better.

Seriously, surely the point of these crashes is that the bloke thinks
that even though the sign/detector/water curtain thinks that he's too
high for the bridge/tunnel, he thinks that he'll squeeze through with
half an inch to spare, and a lot of the time he'll be right. So no
matter how visible you make the sign, the crash will still happen. The
only way to stop them is to detect the height of vehicles and then lower
a physical gate so that the driver knows that even if he could
theoretically squeeze under the bridge, he can't get past the gate. Or
put up an electronic toll sign that tells drivers that vehicle LLxxLLL
will be fined the cost of a bridge strike even if they manage to squeeze
through.

Roland Perry May 6th 16 01:46 PM

Another bridge!

In message , at 13:57:00 on Fri, 6 May 2016,
Basil Jet remarked:
surely the point of these crashes is that the bloke thinks that even
though the sign/detector/water curtain thinks that he's too high for
the bridge/tunnel, he thinks that he'll squeeze through with half an
inch to spare, and a lot of the time he'll be right.

It's much more likely they just forget what they are driving (how high
etc).

Arthur Conan Doyle May 6th 16 02:17 PM

Another bridge!

Graeme Wall wrote:

A low tunnel in Sydney (I think) has a water curtain with a big no entry
sign projected on it right in front of the driver if a heigh vehicle
passes the sensor.

Yes, pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

D A Stocks[_2_] May 6th 16 02:59 PM

Another bridge!

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:57:00 on Fri, 6 May 2016,
Basil Jet remarked:
surely the point of these crashes is that the bloke thinks that even
though the sign/detector/water curtain thinks that he's too high for the
bridge/tunnel, he thinks that he'll squeeze through with half an inch to
spare, and a lot of the time he'll be right.

It's much more likely they just forget what they are driving (how high
etc).

Exactly. The various "hanging is too good for 'em" pundits here need to
consider that the driver is dealing with a combination of the deck height of
the trailer, the height of the container, and quite possibility the tractor
unit may affect the height as well. Nobody is questioning the fact that the
lorry driver is responsible for making sure it will all fit, but given the
opportunities for mistakes to happen it's a wonder there aren't more
incidents of this nature. For example, it's possible that the driver passed
under the same bridge with a smaller container in one direction, and then
swapped it for a taller container - or even a taller trailer/container
combination - for the return journey.

What happened is comparable with a signaller setting the wrong route for a
train and then the driver accepting that route. Surely that *never* happens,
does it?

There but for the Grace of God, etc. etc.

--
DAS

[email protected] May 6th 16 03:50 PM

Another bridge!

On Fri, 06 May 2016 08:17:29 -0600
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:

A low tunnel in Sydney (I think) has a water curtain with a big no entry
sign projected on it right in front of the driver if a heigh vehicle
passes the sensor.

Yes, pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

Doesn't just happen to road vehicles it would seem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKwYR8mzzM

--
Spud

Roland Perry May 6th 16 04:59 PM

Another bridge!

In message , at 15:59:31 on Fri, 6 May
2016, D A Stocks remarked:
For example, it's possible that the driver passed under the same bridge
with a smaller container in one direction, and then swapped it for a
taller container - or even a taller trailer/container combination - for
the return journey.

One of the Ely bridge bashes a couple of years ago was like that - a
local tradesman (plumber I think) had been driving to and fro several
times a day for years without incident, and then someone bought him a
new van which was very slightly taller...

Then there was this chap (not visible) driving into Ely who apparently
got under the first half of the underpass by the level crossing, then
chickened out at the second. The police and local Railtrack people
(visible) helped him let his tyres down at which point he made it
through the second half.

I have no idea if they did him for obstruction, but as it was a PCSO I
don't think they can ticket someone for that.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/ocado-ely.jpg

JNugent[_5_] May 11th 16 01:54 PM

Another bridge!

On 04/05/2016 18:21, wrote:
In article ,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

Because there aren't anything like enough lorries on the M25, are there?

Optimist May 28th 16 05:38 AM

Another bridge!

On Thu, 05 May 2016 05:49:21 -0500, wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

Why aren't vehicles fitted with electronic gadgets to warn the driver of low bridges?

[email protected] May 28th 16 10:47 AM

Another bridge!

In article ,
(Optimist) wrote:

On Thu, 05 May 2016 05:49:21 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

Good question!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

eastender[_5_] May 28th 16 08:04 PM

Another bridge!

On 2016-05-28 10:47:06 +0000, said:

In article ,
(Optimist) wrote:

On Thu, 05 May 2016 05:49:21 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

I was behind a truck yesterday as it was about to enter an underpass
under the A12. The driver slowed to a halt and hopped out to have a
good look first. It was quite tight.

E.