Old May 11th 16, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mayor Sadiq

In article
-september
..org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Wed, 11 May 2016 11:53:49 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:32:49AM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

I'll believe it when TfL say it. It's far too common for a reporter to
misunderstand something and report a great deal more than the facts.

Will this do?

Quote:
Speaking about the launch of the new fare, London_s Transport
Commissioner, Mike Brown, said: _This new option will benefit a huge
number of our passengers. For many people catching more than one bus
is the only way they can get from A to B. This fare will enable us to
better meet the needs of those Londoners who live or work in areas
which aren_t as well served by Tube or rail services._

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ngdom/england/

london/articles/tfls-london-bus-hopper-fare-to-commence-in-september/

Caroline Pigeon and the London Lib Dems have been banging on about
this for a decade so there would have been reasons to look at
feasibility for some time now.

The difference being, of course, that there was no chance of a LD mayor,
so TfL didn't need to pay much attention. Only once one of the two leading
candidates adopted the policy did TfL need to think about how to implement
it.

And, in this case, Sadiq had been the firm favourite to win for the whole
campaign, and this was one of his key promises, so TfL could earn some
brownie points by giving him a quick win. Sadiq's clearly not a fan of
TfL, so they needed to get started early on his pet projects.

One advantage of this change is that it will allow considerable
route simplification if TfL wants it. Routes are partly based on
avoiding passengers changing buses and this will become less of a
consideration (but not none at all) in future.

Good point. I wonder if TfL will take advantage of this new flexibility?

I think it will be a long term matter. Once the idea of the one hour ticket
is more firmly established it is sure to influence route development.
Simplification will help achieve much needed economies I'm sure.

I gather tonight that initially the full one hour plan won't be implemented,
just allowing a second free journey from September, using the existing
capabilities implemented in the Croydon area.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old May 11th 16, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
-september
.org, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, as mentioned upthread. The announcements have also been clear that all
that's being offered initially is one free journey within 60 minutes. The
full version will have to await the new generation back office Oyster
system, when both contactless and Oyster systems converge.