London Banter

-   -   Why is the northern line still so lousy? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14999-why-northern-line-still-so.html)

[email protected] July 14th 16 08:28 AM

Why is the northern line still so lousy?

AFAIK its all ATO now, so why are there still 3 min service gaps (at least
on the Bank branch) with trains chugging along at what can't be much more
than 20mph? Is there a capacity limit with camden town junction or are there
simply not enough trains for a victoria line 1 min gap service?

--
Spud

Neil Williams July 14th 16 08:35 AM

On 2016-07-14 08:28:17 +0000, d said:

AFAIK its all ATO now, so why are there still 3 min service gaps (at least
on the Bank branch) with trains chugging along at what can't be much more
than 20mph? Is there a capacity limit with camden town junction or are there
simply not enough trains for a victoria line 1 min gap service?

Part of the cause of this is that Bank itself is so busy that you
simply can't dispatch a train every minute.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] July 14th 16 08:48 AM

Why is the northern line still so lousy?

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:35:04 +0100
On 2016-07-14 08:28:17 +0000, d said:

AFAIK its all ATO now, so why are there still 3 min service gaps (at least
on the Bank branch) with trains chugging along at what can't be much more
than 20mph? Is there a capacity limit with camden town junction or are there
simply not enough trains for a victoria line 1 min gap service?

Part of the cause of this is that Bank itself is so busy that you
simply can't dispatch a train every minute.

Is Bank any worse than say Victoria or KX on the victoria line? Its certainly
busy but its not exceptionally so IMO.

--
Spud

Someone Somewhere July 14th 16 08:51 AM

On 2016-07-14 08:28:17 +0000, d said:

AFAIK its all ATO now, so why are there still 3 min service gaps (at
least
on the Bank branch) with trains chugging along at what can't be much more
than 20mph? Is there a capacity limit with camden town junction or are
there
simply not enough trains for a victoria line 1 min gap service?

Part of the cause of this is that Bank itself is so busy that you simply
can't dispatch a train every minute.

Neil

That doiesn't explain the wait in Bank station itself though - there are
often 2-4 minute waits listed, even at busy periods, for the next train
whereas if the dwell time in Bank was the gating reason surely the next
train should pull in as soon as possible after the previous?

Neil Williams July 14th 16 10:44 AM

On 2016-07-14 08:48:36 +0000, d said:

Is Bank any worse than say Victoria or KX on the victoria line? Its certainly
busy but its not exceptionally so IMO.

Yes, massively so. Have you ever been there during the evening peak?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] July 14th 16 02:28 PM

Why is the northern line still so lousy?

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:44:30 +0100
On 2016-07-14 08:48:36 +0000, d said:

Is Bank any worse than say Victoria or KX on the victoria line? Its certainly
busy but its not exceptionally so IMO.

Yes, massively so. Have you ever been there during the evening peak?

Frequently. I used to use the DLR when I worked at canary wharf last year.
Have you ever been to victoria in the rush hour? Its scary.

--
Spud

Mike Bristow July 14th 16 03:25 PM

Why is the northern line still so lousy?

On 2016-07-14 08:48:36 +0000,
d said:

Is Bank any worse than say Victoria or KX on the victoria line? Its certainly
busy but its not exceptionally so IMO.

Yes, massively so. Have you ever been there during the evening peak?

Frequently. I used to use the DLR when I worked at canary wharf last year.

Did you visit the northern line platforms? Obviously, seeing the
DLR platforms won't help you understand problems on the northern
line (equally obviously, your journey was likely to include lines
other than the DLR, unless you live on Cheapside).

Have you ever been to victoria in the rush hour? Its scary.

--
Mike Bristow

[email protected] July 14th 16 03:34 PM

Why is the northern line still so lousy?

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 16:25:33 +0100
On 2016-07-14 08:48:36 +0000,
d said:

Is Bank any worse than say Victoria or KX on the victoria line? Its

certainly
busy but its not exceptionally so IMO.

Yes, massively so. Have you ever been there during the evening peak?

Frequently. I used to use the DLR when I worked at canary wharf last year.

Did you visit the northern line platforms? Obviously, seeing the

Yes. They get very crowded, but I've seen just as bad if not worse elsewhere.

--
Spud

Offramp July 14th 16 07:35 PM

Believe me. The delays are almost always owing to passengers ****ing up in one way or another.