London Banter

-   -   Awful journey planners (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15001-awful-journey-planners.html)

[email protected] July 18th 16 04:05 PM

Awful journey planners

In article , (Clive Page)
wrote:

On 17/07/2016 10:02, Roland Perry wrote:
Ever since the government scrapped the "Transport Direct", I use Google
Maps. It's simple and reliable.

Do you know whether it has up-to-date info on engineering works etc?
I tried to find out but Google's algorithms seem to be hidden.

Not hard to check if it respects which trains are not calling at London
Bridge now, surely?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim... July 18th 16 05:24 PM

Awful journey planners

wrote in message
In article , (Clive
Page)
wrote:

On 17/07/2016 10:02, Roland Perry wrote:
Ever since the government scrapped the "Transport Direct", I use Google
Maps. It's simple and reliable.

Do you know whether it has up-to-date info on engineering works etc?
I tried to find out but Google's algorithms seem to be hidden.

Not hard to check if it respects which trains are not calling at London
Bridge now, surely?

the thing about the LB engineering is that it is long term and reflected in
the twice annual published timetables

It's the odd weekend engineering that is only released a week or two before
that's the problem to collect

(I have no idea if Google do this or not)

Peter Smyth[_3_] July 18th 16 05:30 PM

Awful journey planners

wrote:

In article ,
(Clive
Page) wrote:

On 17/07/2016 10:02, Roland Perry wrote:
Ever since the government scrapped the "Transport Direct", I use
Google Maps. It's simple and reliable.

Do you know whether it has up-to-date info on engineering works
etc? I tried to find out but Google's algorithms seem to be
hidden.

Not hard to check if it respects which trains are not calling at
London Bridge now, surely?

It has details of long-term closures such as London Bridge and the
Goblin which are part of the base timetable.

It doesn't seem to have weekend closures though, for next Saturday it
is advising me to use the District Line to Wimbledon even though the
branch is closed.

Peter Smyth

[email protected] July 19th 16 12:11 AM

Awful journey planners

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,

(Clive Page) wrote:

On 17/07/2016 10:02, Roland Perry wrote:
Ever since the government scrapped the "Transport Direct", I use
Google Maps. It's simple and reliable.

Do you know whether it has up-to-date info on engineering works etc?
I tried to find out but Google's algorithms seem to be hidden.

Not hard to check if it respects which trains are not calling at London
Bridge now, surely?

the thing about the LB engineering is that it is long term and
reflected in the twice annual published timetables

It's the odd weekend engineering that is only released a week or two
before that's the problem to collect

(I have no idea if Google do this or not)

It's supposed to be at least 12 weeks before these days, barring things like
Eden Brow.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive Page[_3_] July 19th 16 11:57 AM

Awful journey planners

On 18/07/2016 18:30, Peter Smyth wrote: (on Google Maps)
It doesn't seem to have weekend closures though, for next Saturday it
is advising me to use the District Line to Wimbledon even though the
branch is closed.

Ah that's a good test. I was impressed by the recommendations higher up
the thread to use CityMapper, and it does seem better in many ways than
the TfL or NR journey planners, in that it suggests a number of
alternatives, has times for changing trains etc., and has timings for a
set of buses/tubes/trains, not just the one it thinks you will take.

But I just tried it for Embankment to Wimbledon for next Saturday and it
does indeed suggest taking the District Line. Pity.

--
Clive Page

Optimist July 24th 16 07:41 AM

Awful journey planners

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 07:35:36 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:18:45 +0100
Clive Page wrote:

it took me the best part of half-an-hour,

damn, stop the world, a whole half hour
to plan a trip...Pathetic

And why should anyone want to plan an awful journey?

Arthur Conan Doyle July 25th 16 03:54 PM

Awful journey planners

Hmmm... Apparently Google Maps is adding transit delays...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07...to-some-users/

Mizter T August 2nd 16 10:53 PM

Awful journey planners

Clive Page wrote:

it took me the best part of half-an-hour,

damn, stop the world, a whole half hour
to plan a trip...Pathetic

What justice do you offer, apart from utter inanity?

Theo Markettos August 3rd 16 10:09 AM

Awful journey planners

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Hmmm... Apparently Google Maps is adding transit delays...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07...to-some-users/

I learnt to distrust Google Maps transit times when I got off the Caltrain
at Mountain View to catch the VTA light rail, to discover that most of the
route had been bustituted and was completely different from the times Google
Maps told me (taking an extra hour). If Google can't cope with scheduled
service changes /in their home town/ I don't think there's much hope for the
rest of us.

Theo