Old July 16th 16, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Awful journey planners

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 19:28:28 +0100
"tim..." wrote:

"burfordTjustice" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 11:49:30 +0100
Clive Page wrote:

So for this rather simple cross-London journey both main journey
planners failed badly

Why would anyone need a machine to plan their trip?

You must be pretty stupid if you can not plan
your own route.

Luton airport is an awkward destination because there are fast
trains, semi fast trains and slow trains

Getting to the airport at time X and taking the first train may not
be the smart thing to do

tim

So you are stupid and dependent on someone's machine to figure
things out for you. As the op stated seems the machines are
just a stupid.
Care for your self and not be dependent on government
or others to care for you...

Damn folks Man up and tend to yourself and families.

Old July 17th 16, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/07/2016 12:43, Basil Jet wrote:
Is this not just a case of the Cannon Street line being messed around by
engineering work?

No, seems to be running normally this morning, i.e. one train to
Plumstead via Deptford every 15 mins.

--
Clive Page
Old July 17th 16, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote:

So for this rather simple cross-London journey both main journey
planners failed badly

Why would anyone need a machine to plan their trip?

You must be pretty stupid if you can not plan
your own route.

Thank you for those kind and perceptive comments.

As I explained, there are (at least) three routes with similar timings,
and it required detailed study of timetables for Thameslink, EMT, and SE
trains, plus getting estimates of times on Northern, Jubilee, and
Circle/District lines, as well as checking for the effects of weekend
engineering works, to work out the best route for any given departure
time. This is the sort of job that ought to be ideally suited to
computers. We have had on-line journey planners for at least 15 years
now, but it seems to me that they are still stuck in the 20th Century,
and have hardly advanced in all that time.

Of course one can do all the work oneself and in this case I had to but
it took me the best part of half-an-hour, but I really don't understand
why there is not a single on-line journey planner that can do the work
much more quickly and reliably.

-- l
Clive Page
Old July 17th 16, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:18:45 on Sun, 17
Jul 2016, Clive Page remarked:
Of course one can do all the work oneself and in this case I had to but
it took me the best part of half-an-hour, but I really don't understand
why there is not a single on-line journey planner that can do the work
much more quickly and reliably.

Ever since the government scrapped the "Transport Direct", I use Google
Maps. It's simple and reliable.
Old July 17th 16, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Clive Page wrote:

Does anyone know of any better journey planners out there?

Citymapper shows a 65 minute journey, via Cannon Street.

Des Citymapper use actual time tables or does ot just take average times
- I have trmoved one app bevause of that and think it was this one

--
Mark

Old July 17th 16, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote:

Someone I know wants to go tomorrow (Sunday) from Luton Airport Parkway
station to Deptford. Trains to Deptford go from Cannon Street calling
at London Bridge. So this is a pretty simple journey, really, and there
seem to be three reasonable routes:

(1) LTN to West Hampstead, then Jubilee line to London Bridge.

(2) LTN to St. Pancras, then Northern Line to London Bridge.

(3) LTN to Blackfriars, then Circle/District line to Cannon Street.

Without checking lots of timetables I was not sure which would be
fastest, so I thought I would try the two main online journey planners.

I appreciate that journey planning is a complex job, but it seems to me
that the current examples do a rather poor job even in fairly simple
cases. Does anyone know of any better journey planners out there?

Travellink South East gives only one journet with fast walk and that is
your number one route taking 75-6 minutes

Average walk makes these 87-9 miunutes but adds some longer ones
Thaneslink to Elephant and Castel then bus to New Cross then 10 mins
walk - taking 106 mins
and a 99 min journey LTN-StaPancras-KX-Northerm to Bank- DLR to
Cutty Sark- Bus to Deptford

A slow walk gives 1 as 93-102 mins but adds 3 (change at Farringdon not
Blackfriars ie the oyjer way round the circle ) as 94 mins

So depends on how fast you walk and there are more rouyes than you
yjought of and only 1 actually competes.

--
Mark
Old July 17th 16, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:18:45 +0100
Clive Page wrote:

it took me the best part of half-an-hour,

damn, stop the world, a whole half hour
to plan a trip...Pathetic
Old July 17th 16, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Mark Bestley) wrote:

Des Citymapper use actual time tables or does ot just take average times
- I have trmoved one app bevause of that and think it was this one

Good question. I assumed it uses actual timetables as the journey times vary
depending on when you choose to depart, but I suppose that might not be the
case.
Old July 17th 16, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Page wrote:

[...]

I think you are being somewhat harsh on the TfL Planner, it gave you a
perfectly reasonable route. Exactly which option is quickest will
largely depend on how much time you allow for the interchanges.

It is very likely all three options would have ended up on the same
train out of London Bridge.

Peter Smyth

Old July 18th 16, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/07/2016 10:02, Roland Perry wrote:
Ever since the government scrapped the "Transport Direct", I use Google
Maps. It's simple and reliable.

Do you know whether it has up-to-date info on engineering works etc? I
tried to find out but Google's algorithms seem to be hidden.

--
Clive Page