London Banter

-   -   Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15034-crossrail-elizabeth-line-trainset-unveiled.html)

Clive D.W. Feather August 7th 16 07:48 PM

Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled

On 01/08/2016 09:56, d wrote:
Apparently a lot are heading up to the liverpool & manchester area. Curiously
they're removing their 3rd rail shoegear which means they can't run on the
merseyrail system which seems a bit shortsighted to me. You'd think the more
flexibility the better.

It's possible that the shoegear is out of gauge for somewhere up there.
I think that's why the 365s had it removed when moved from south of the
river to WAGN-as-was.

[email protected] August 8th 16 08:45 AM

Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:48:17 +0100
"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
On 01/08/2016 09:56, d wrote:
Apparently a lot are heading up to the liverpool & manchester area. Curiously
they're removing their 3rd rail shoegear which means they can't run on the
merseyrail system which seems a bit shortsighted to me. You'd think the more
flexibility the better.

It's possible that the shoegear is out of gauge for somewhere up there.
I think that's why the 365s had it removed when moved from south of the
river to WAGN-as-was.

Possibly. Though you'd think NR would keep most of the network in gauge for
3rd rail simply because there may well be a class 92 or 73 trundling along
there one day.

--
Spud

Basil Jet[_4_] August 8th 16 09:27 AM

Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled

On 2016\08\08 09:45, d wrote:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:48:17 +0100
"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
On 01/08/2016 09:56,
d wrote:
Apparently a lot are heading up to the liverpool & manchester area. Curiously
they're removing their 3rd rail shoegear which means they can't run on the
merseyrail system which seems a bit shortsighted to me. You'd think the more
flexibility the better.

It's possible that the shoegear is out of gauge for somewhere up there.
I think that's why the 365s had it removed when moved from south of the
river to WAGN-as-was.

Possibly. Though you'd think NR would keep most of the network in gauge for
3rd rail simply because there may well be a class 92 or 73 trundling along
there one day.

Maybe they could have some sort of linear metal structures either side
of the rails to keep the ballast from encroaching on every railway in
the country?

Phil[_7_] August 8th 16 10:14 AM

Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled

On 08/08/16 09:45, d wrote:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:48:17 +0100
"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
On 01/08/2016 09:56,
d wrote:
Apparently a lot are heading up to the liverpool & manchester area. Curiously
they're removing their 3rd rail shoegear which means they can't run on the
merseyrail system which seems a bit shortsighted to me. You'd think the more
flexibility the better.

It's possible that the shoegear is out of gauge for somewhere up there.
I think that's why the 365s had it removed when moved from south of the
river to WAGN-as-was.

Possibly. Though you'd think NR would keep most of the network in gauge for
3rd rail simply because there may well be a class 92 or 73 trundling along
there one day.

Don't 92s have/had third rail shoes which can be lifted above the normal
level when not in use, for precisely this reason.

--
Phil
Liverpool, UK

Charles Ellson[_2_] August 8th 16 10:48 PM

Crossrail Elizabeth Line trainset unveiled

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 11:14:37 +0100, Phil wrote:

On 08/08/16 09:45, d wrote:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:48:17 +0100
"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
On 01/08/2016 09:56,
d wrote:
Apparently a lot are heading up to the liverpool & manchester area. Curiously
they're removing their 3rd rail shoegear which means they can't run on the
merseyrail system which seems a bit shortsighted to me. You'd think the more
flexibility the better.

It's possible that the shoegear is out of gauge for somewhere up there.
I think that's why the 365s had it removed when moved from south of the
river to WAGN-as-was.

Possibly. Though you'd think NR would keep most of the network in gauge for
3rd rail simply because there may well be a class 92 or 73 trundling along
there one day.

Don't 92s have/had third rail shoes which can be lifted above the normal
level when not in use, for precisely this reason.

The cock and valve diagram for 92s
[
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99279135@N05/16825734107] seems to
confirm that.