London Banter

-   -   Green Party lunacy (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1507-green-party-lunacy.html)

Steve Peake April 1st 04 06:55 AM

Green Party lunacy

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:56:40 +0100, Redonda wrote:

Actually, erm, I'd rather be hit by a car - at 20mph that is. Modern car
bumpers are designed to absorb impact on the lower leg of an adult and throw
him/her safely onto the car's bonnet (not so good for small kids!). I
shudder when I think of the damage that could be done by a bicycle front
wheel (with mudguard) slamming between my legs at 25mph :-(

In several posts you have put the very strange idea of "sharp metal
protrusions" on cycles, I have to ask, have you actually been near a cycle
in the last 20 years?

The cyclist is always at more risk in any accident, so theres nothing on a
bike that will cause any damage unless it snaps. Having bounced off every
part of a bike, and having been run over more than once I can tell you its
the impact that hurts!

Steve

MeatballTurbo April 1st 04 07:28 AM

Green Party lunacy

In article , spam@puppet-
head.co.uk says...
In several posts you have put the very strange idea of "sharp metal
protrusions" on cycles, I have to ask, have you actually been near a cycle
in the last 20 years?

I have, and built several from components, I happen to know that the
ends of my handlebars are quite capable breaking a car mirror, so I
imagine that it could do immense damage to the arm or torso of an adult,
or the head of a child when they step out in front of you between cars
when travelling at a normal speed.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Redonda April 1st 04 07:46 AM

Green Party lunacy

Steve Peake wrote:
[...]

It's really just academic - I have no intention of letting myself be hit by
either a car or a bike.

You're right about the 20 years, though :-) That's about how long it is
since I last rode a bike, commuting between Whitechapel and Chelsea daily.
I gave it up after about 6 months as I couldn't handle the jolts from the
interminal pot-holes and the actions of drivers who made me feel like I was
wearing a Cloak of Invisibility :-(

--
Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Steve Peake April 1st 04 12:40 PM

Green Party lunacy

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:28:26 +0100, MeatballTurbo wrote:

In article , spam@puppet-
head.co.uk says...
In several posts you have put the very strange idea of "sharp metal
protrusions" on cycles, I have to ask, have you actually been near a cycle
in the last 20 years?

I have, and built several from components, I happen to know that the
ends of my handlebars are quite capable breaking a car mirror, so I
imagine that it could do immense damage to the arm or torso of an adult,
or the head of a child when they step out in front of you between cars
when travelling at a normal speed.

We were talking about "sharp metal objects", as I said impacts still hurt.

Steve

MeatballTurbo April 1st 04 12:41 PM

Green Party lunacy

In article , spam@puppet-
head.co.uk says...
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:28:26 +0100, MeatballTurbo wrote:

In article , spam@puppet-
head.co.uk says...
In several posts you have put the very strange idea of "sharp metal
protrusions" on cycles, I have to ask, have you actually been near a cycle
in the last 20 years?

I have, and built several from components, I happen to know that the
ends of my handlebars are quite capable breaking a car mirror, so I
imagine that it could do immense damage to the arm or torso of an adult,
or the head of a child when they step out in front of you between cars
when travelling at a normal speed.

We were talking about "sharp metal objects", as I said impacts still hurt.

Steve

Not all edges are fully rounded.