Old August 31st 16, 06:20 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge new station concourse open

I see complaints in the Standard of "narrow platforms".

I know for a fact the through lines have exactly the same spacing as
before (been going through it for the last year on the train).

Are they complaining about the fact that there are those big flassed off
rectangles where the escalators are? Or is it false perception due to
being extra crowded as Cannon St is closed?

Old August 31st 16, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Tim Watts wrote:
I see complaints in the Standard of "narrow platforms".

I know for a fact the through lines have exactly the same spacing as
before (been going through it for the last year on the train).

Are they complaining about the fact that there are those big flassed off
rectangles where the escalators are? Or is it false perception due to
being extra crowded as Cannon St is closed?

Probably both. The escalator/lift wells are quite long, to let light down
into the concourse below. That's why it looks so bright and airy. But it
means that boarding pax can circulate below, choosing the right point to
ascend up to their platform, rather than having to push along the platform
itself.

Old August 31st 16, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
e27002 aurora wrote on 30 Aug 2016 at 18:43 ...
Overall the new station looks excellent. The font on the fixed signs
is not great. Gill Sans would have been markedly better.

The font is presumably NR Brunel, Network Rail's current standard for
signage. The only full character set that I've found is buried in the NR
document "Managed Stations Wayfinding" on page 10 (numbered as page 20
in my downloaded PDF file). It can be downloaded from
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...Guidelines.pdf

It's difficult to comment on the signage based on Recliner's photos, but
I would doubt if Gill Sans would be "markedly better". What don't you
like about the NR Brunel font?

The signs all seemed to be using the normal NR font. Perhaps Adrian was
referring to the big temporary wall that covers the work going on under
platforms 1-6, which, probably deliberately, uses a different font to
promote the Thameslink project?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...ream/lightbox/
Old August 31st 16, 09:41 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I see complaints in the Standard of "narrow platforms".

I know for a fact the through lines have exactly the same spacing as
before (been going through it for the last year on the train).

Are they complaining about the fact that there are those big flassed off
rectangles where the escalators are? Or is it false perception due to
being extra crowded as Cannon St is closed?

Cannon St's not closed (unless it was just a one-off)

The difficultly is that Cannon Street trains are not stopping at London
Bridge (for the next 2 years)

tim

Old August 31st 16, 10:03 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I see complaints in the Standard of "narrow platforms".

I know for a fact the through lines have exactly the same spacing as
before (been going through it for the last year on the train).

Are they complaining about the fact that there are those big flassed off
rectangles where the escalators are? Or is it false perception due to
being extra crowded as Cannon St is closed?

Cannon St's not closed (unless it was just a one-off)

The difficultly is that Cannon Street trains are not stopping at London
Bridge (for the next 2 years)

It was closed for a few days for the track realignment through LBG.

Old August 31st 16, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 31/08/16 10:41, tim... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
I see complaints in the Standard of "narrow platforms".

I know for a fact the through lines have exactly the same spacing as
before (been going through it for the last year on the train).

Are they complaining about the fact that there are those big flassed
off rectangles where the escalators are? Or is it false perception due
to being extra crowded as Cannon St is closed?

Cannon St's not closed (unless it was just a one-off)

The difficultly is that Cannon Street trains are not stopping at London
Bridge (for the next 2 years)

It *might* have been a one off the other day, or maybe just affecting
the Hastings line. I recall the guard saying "closed" when apologising
for out train being rammed (properly, not in a Jeremy Corbyn way).

I know the whole London Bridge thing has some funny short term
restrictions in August covering the switchover (CHX trains stopping at
Lon Br, and Cannot St not for the next year or so).

Looking very smart though - and I have used the terminus platforms once
last week when the Hastings trains started there (Sevenoaks line closed
for engineering, Hastings taking the scenic route via Redhill).

It's looking a LOT better than that horrid abomination that was there
throughout my childhood until recently.
Old August 31st 16, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 31/08/2016 12:42, Tim Watts wrote:
I know the whole London Bridge thing has some funny short term
restrictions in August covering the switchover (CHX trains stopping at
Lon Br, and Cannot St not for the next year or so).

Very appropriate typo :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 1st 16, 07:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:03:27 +0100, "Richard J."
wrote:

e27002 aurora wrote on 30 Aug 2016 at 18:43 ...
Overall the new station looks excellent. The font on the fixed signs
is not great. Gill Sans would have been markedly better.

The font is presumably NR Brunel, Network Rail's current standard for
signage. The only full character set that I've found is buried in the NR
document "Managed Stations Wayfinding" on page 10 (numbered as page 20
in my downloaded PDF file). It can be downloaded from
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...Guidelines.pdf

Thank you. It took a while to download that.

It's difficult to comment on the signage based on Recliner's photos, but
I would doubt if Gill Sans would be "markedly better". What don't you
like about the NR Brunel font?

OK, so look at the picture from Nigel: http://tinyurl.com/zkpzow2 The
"9" has a very exaggerated form. Railways in the UK have always had a
reputation for adopting good industrial design. IMHO the
understatement inherent in Gill Sans is very pleasing to the eye when
used for sign posting and the like.

OTOH it is terrible for documents. :-)
Old September 1st 16, 11:58 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote on 01 Sep 2016 at 08:53 ...
wrote:

[...]

The elegant understatement doesn't necessarily aid fast recognition from
a distance which you need in a font used for signage. The most
understated character in Gill Sans is the number "1", which is
indistinguishable from upper case "i" and lower case "L". Having said
that, I don't find the 9 and 6 in NR Brunel very attractive. But in any
font, there are always one or two characters that grate against one's
own feelings.

--
Richard J.

---