Old September 26th 16, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Hub looking like the winner

On 2016-09-26 18:50:17 +0000, David C said:

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

I do, but if the airport was there when they bought it (not yourself),
they don't really get to complain - the price was probably cheaper as a
result. It's like people who move next to pubs and complain when they
are noisy.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 26th 16, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-26 18:50:17 +0000, David C said:

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

I do, but if the airport was there when they bought it (not yourself),
they don't really get to complain - the price was probably cheaper as a
result. It's like people who move next to pubs and complain when they
are noisy.

And modern planes are likely much, much quieter than the planes than were
the norm when the property was bought.

Old September 27th 16, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:30:07 +0100
On 2016-09-26 18:50:17 +0000, David C said:

I feel for anyone living under a flight-path into a major airport.

I do, but if the airport was there when they bought it (not yourself),
they don't really get to complain - the price was probably cheaper as a
result. It's like people who move next to pubs and complain when they
are noisy.

If someone moves next to a quiet village pub, then some years later its
license gets upgraded to a 1000 head nightclub they have every damn right
to complain about the noise.

--
Spud

Old September 27th 16, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:36:01 +0300
Clank wrote:
wrote:
The airspace in the SE is already some of the most congested in the world.
When was the last there was a blue sky over london on a clear day? We don't
need or want any more air traffic. Too bad if people can't take a flight with
24 hours notice. Instant gratification is something children expect, not

adults.

If having the whole of Europe available to me at (less than) 24 hours
notice makes me a child - **** it, I'm loving my childhood. My mother (in
her 70s) bought a globe recently so she can stick a pin in all the places I
WhatsApp her from that she couldn't even conceive of visiting in her
lifetime. I have absolutely no guilt about this - my generation has the
opportunity to embrace the world and our lives are immeasurably improved
for it, and if it upsets a few nimbies who object to seeing a contrail, so
be it.

You sound like a cheap voiceover for a holiday company. How exactly is your
life "immeasurably improved" by being able to go anywhere with 24 hours
notice? Give us some details. Something concrete, not "Oh , I just love
watching the sunrises over blah blah blah".

Alas, the next generation in Britain will have had many of those
opportunities taken away from them by Brexit.

What opportunities? Britains visit and work in loads of countries around the
world that are not part of the EU. Why will the EU suddenly be off limits after
Brexit?

Also future generations will hardly thank us for ****ing up the climate. I'm
not speaking as some ranting hippy, I travel for pleasure too. But the idea
of moderation and waiting for something seems to have gone out the window.
People expect instant gratification and sod the costs, they're someone elses
problem. Right?

I'm glad I emigrated when I

I'm fairly glad you did with the ******** you spout.

did - ration cards and hiding from the rest of the world never seemed that
bucolic to me, but whatever floats your boat...

Oh dear, poor little confused ex-pat. Better go have some more sangria eh?

--
Spud

Old September 29th 16, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

On 25/09/2016 12:16, Recliner wrote:
There's a short item in today's Sunday Times that suggests that the
government is favouring the Heathrow Hub option:
http://www.heathrowhub.com

This is cheaper than the third runway, needs much less land (and very few
properties will be affected), will be much quicker to build, and will not
increase the noise footprint nearly as much. The scheme as proposed (not by
HAL) also includes a road-rail interchange on the M4 and GWML (and possibly
an HS2 spur), immediately to the north of the airport, with a direct light
rail link to the terminals. However, I think that's really a separate idea.

Crucially, BA is backing this scheme, rather than the third runway:
http://news.sky.com/story/ba-owner-s...cheme-10319759

Interesting. Especially given that the Heathrow Hub proposal was
rejected by the Airports Commission.

If Heathrow is the government's choice then it's still going to face
some almighty opposition, though perhaps given the whole Heathrow
question has been going on for so long - a 'war of attrition' if you
will - maybe some of that opposition could fall by the wayside.

Poyle would be razed under the scheme - much of the area is a trading
estate, though there are some residential streets south of Bath Rd that
would have to go. (As would the current T5 Pod Parking!)

More Heathrow rumours:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...e-in-parliame/

Old September 29th 16, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:

[...]

That's hardly a surprise, it will be carried by labour votes

tim