London Banter

-   -   Bakerloo train replacements (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15130-bakerloo-train-replacements.html)

[email protected] September 28th 16 10:21 AM

Bakerloo train replacements

Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 28th 16 10:32 AM

wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

Yes, see the many discussions on the NTfL, some of which you participated
in.

E27002 September 28th 16 10:40 AM

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 11:21:53 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

--
Spud

AFIK Boltar, the existing trains are undergoing heavy refurbishment for life extension. IMHO they are OK. The seats are comfortable, and the doors open very promptly at stations.

[email protected] September 28th 16 10:52 AM

Bakerloo train replacements

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:32:54 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

Yes, see the many discussions on the NTfL, some of which you participated
in.

I was wondering about the state of play now, rather than what tfl promised
X years ago.

--
Spud

[email protected] September 28th 16 10:55 AM

Bakerloo train replacements

wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

--
Spud

AFIK Boltar, the existing trains are undergoing heavy refurbishment for life
extension. IMHO they are OK. The seats are comfortable, and the doors open
very promptly at stations.

One wonders how far their life can be further extended short of a rebuild given
they're already 45 years old. Finding parts must be a problem too. I wouldn't
be surprised if they have to be made bespoke.

Yes, the seats are comfy. Not sure why modern train builders seem to think its
acceptable for people to sit on covered granite.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 28th 16 12:06 PM

wrote:

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 11:21:53 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

--
Spud

AFIK Boltar, the existing trains are undergoing heavy refurbishment for life extension. IMHO they are OK. The seats are comfortable, and the doors open very promptly at stations.

Yes, agreed. They look better with the new, clean upholstery; the old
stuff was filthy and stained, making one reluctant to sit on those
comfortable benches.

Recliner[_3_] September 28th 16 12:08 PM

wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

--
Spud

AFIK Boltar, the existing trains are undergoing heavy refurbishment for life
extension. IMHO they are OK. The seats are comfortable, and the doors open
very promptly at stations.

One wonders how far their life can be further extended short of a rebuild given
they're already 45 years old. Finding parts must be a problem too. I wouldn't
be surprised if they have to be made bespoke.

Very likely, but that's probably true of all old trains. After all,
the factory where these and all the pre-1992 LU trains was built
closed years ago.

Yes, the seats are comfy. Not sure why modern train builders seem to think its
acceptable for people to sit on covered granite.

The rule seems to be that the thickness of the cushions is
proportional to the age of the train.

[email protected] September 28th 16 12:52 PM

Bakerloo train replacements

wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

--
Spud

AFIK Boltar, the existing trains are undergoing heavy refurbishment for life

extension. IMHO they are OK. The seats are comfortable, and the doors open
very promptly at stations.

Yes, agreed. They look better with the new, clean upholstery; the old
stuff was filthy and stained, making one reluctant to sit on those
comfortable benches.

Its always interesting sitting at the front of an old tube train when it hits
a pressure wave - usually from going into a tunnel or smaller bore tunnel -
and all the seats not being sat on inflate and have all the dust and god
knows what else blown out from them in a rather unpleasent cloud.

--
Spud

Recliner[_3_] September 28th 16 01:07 PM

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Rode on the bakerloo for the first time in years today. My god the 72 stock
is looking and sounding tired. Whoever is keeping them running is certainly
earning their money. Anyone know when replacements on the way? IIRC there is
going to be a block order for a number of lines.

Yes, see the many discussions on the NTfL, some of which you participated
in.

I was wondering about the state of play now, rather than what tfl promised
X years ago.

According to this report, bids were due to be submitted two days ago:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/business/single-view/view/bombardier-hitachi-joint-venture-to-bid-for-new-tube-for-london.html

Alstom, CAF and Siemens are also bidding.

The 1972 stock probably won't be replaced for at least a decade, as
the 1973 stock is first in the queue.

Mizter T September 28th 16 01:35 PM

Bakerloo train replacements

On 28/09/2016 13:06, Recliner wrote:
[...]
Yes, agreed. They look better with the new, clean upholstery; the old
stuff was filthy and stained, making one reluctant to sit on those
comfortable benches.

I was in one with totally grubby looking moquettes on the seats the
other day. Not a good look.

Hopefully the new trains will be designed with the twisty-turny Bakerloo
line route in mind, so a bit less wheel squeal in places. I suspect it's
never going to be the smoothest riding line.