Old November 9th 16, 01:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Wolmar for MP

On 09/11/2016 13:49, Mark Bestley wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:41:26 on Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
tim... remarked:
Loads of low paid workers coming in from the East forcing down wages for
the indigenous population (and allowing companies to disband their staff
training schemes which would otherwise help increase the averages skill
set of the population)

What trainable skills do you need to pick vegetables in the fields?

How to wrap up warm, perhaps.

I was think more along the lines of people who worked in factories

Where have we got immigrants working in factories here?

Where have we got factories here?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 9th 16, 01:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:16:41 on Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Where have we got immigrants working in factories here?

Where have we got factories here?

There are at least two Sugar Beet factories (so called) in the Fens, and
just round the corner from me is an agricultural equipment factory
(ironically, perhaps, mainly "automatic" crop-picking/harvesting
machines to tow behind tractors).
Old November 9th 16, 01:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:41:26 on Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
tim... remarked:
Loads of low paid workers coming in from the East forcing down wages for
the indigenous population (and allowing companies to disband their staff
training schemes which would otherwise help increase the averages skill
set of the population)

What trainable skills do you need to pick vegetables in the fields?

How to wrap up warm, perhaps.

I was think more along the lines of people who worked in factories

Where have we got immigrants working in factories here?

Where have we got factories here?

Well tyhat was the next question for tim

--
Mark
Old November 9th 16, 01:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 09/11/2016 14:27, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:16:41 on Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Where have we got immigrants working in factories here?

Where have we got factories here?

There are at least two Sugar Beet factories (so called) in the Fens, and
just round the corner from me is an agricultural equipment factory
(ironically, perhaps, mainly "automatic" crop-picking/harvesting
machines to tow behind tractors).

I was being slightly sarcastic, we used to have three major factories
here in Southampton, all now gone, Vosper-Thorneycroft, Ford and BAT.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 9th 16, 02:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:23:43 on Wed, 9 Nov
2016, Hils remarked:

Today, the British have nowhere near enough medics. The Cubans have a
large surplus. Either this is the result of the policies outlined, or
the British middle and working classes are significantly less educable
than Cuban peasants, while the British ruling caste is more interested
in going into banking or politics than into medicine.

It's probably because the ones in Cuba are paid minimum wage (and
there's very little scope for "politics" of course, and very little
banking due to the sanctions).
Old November 9th 16, 02:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall writes:

On 09/11/2016 14:27, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:16:41 on Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Where have we got immigrants working in factories here?

Where have we got factories here?

There are at least two Sugar Beet factories (so called) in the Fens, and
just round the corner from me is an agricultural equipment factory
(ironically, perhaps, mainly "automatic" crop-picking/harvesting
machines to tow behind tractors).

I was being slightly sarcastic, we used to have three major factories
here in Southampton, all now gone, Vosper-Thorneycroft, Ford and BAT.

Do not forget Pirelli, or was that not major?
Old November 9th 16, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 09/11/2016 15:24, Hils wrote:
On 09/11/16 14:32, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/11/2016 14:23, Hils wrote:
On 09/11/16 12:01, d wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:41:26 -0000 "tim..."
wrote:
Loads of low paid workers coming in from the East forcing down
wages for the indigenous population (and allowing companies to
disband their staff training schemes which would otherwise help
increase the averages skill set of the population)

Ditto NHS. Lots of cheap labour from abroad allowed both labour and
tories to cut medical training in the UK. Of course the clueless
remoaners seem to think that foreign labour is essential for the NHS
rather than being a deliberate - albeit never publicised - government
policy for decades.

It is informative to compare the parallel histories of the British and
Cuban health services, as both were formed by new governments within a
few years of one another.

The Brits, led by Aneurin Bevan, bribed existing doctors to stay in
Britain and supplemented them with a horde of immigrants, while allowing
a largely hereditary elite to retain control of medical training.

The Cubans, led by Che Guevara, allowed the doctors who wanted to leave
to do so, building a new, state-run training system using the patriots
who remained.

Funny, I thought the Cubans were lead by Castro…

Aneurin Bevan's counterpart as health minister was Che Guevara. (Not a
lot of people know that...)

Well I suppose he was a chemist, in the scientific rather than
pharmaceutical sense.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 9th 16, 03:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 09/11/2016 15:40, Graham Murray wrote:
Graeme Wall writes:

On 09/11/2016 14:27, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:16:41 on Wed, 9 Nov 2016,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Where have we got immigrants working in factories here?

Where have we got factories here?

There are at least two Sugar Beet factories (so called) in the Fens, and
just round the corner from me is an agricultural equipment factory
(ironically, perhaps, mainly "automatic" crop-picking/harvesting
machines to tow behind tractors).

I was being slightly sarcastic, we used to have three major factories
here in Southampton, all now gone, Vosper-Thorneycroft, Ford and BAT.

Do not forget Pirelli, or was that not major?

They'd gone by the time I moved here, they lingered at Eastleigh for
quite a long time. IKEA now occupies part of their site.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 9th 16, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 09/11/2016 14:23, Hils wrote:
[...]

Sources agree that he was a fully-qualified physician.

Have you not seen/read The Motorcycle Diaries?

I have seen but not read. He started life as an industrial chemist
before qualifying as a physician.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.