Old December 2nd 16, 01:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Wolmar for MP

Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 17:10:41 on Sat, 5 Nov 2016, Recliner
remarked:

But his chances of becoming an MP are low (Labour only had 12.3%
of the vote last time)

"Slim to none" is a more realistic description.

However, prospective MPs have to "earn their wings" contesting
impossible seats, before being offered a safe seat some years later.

Yes, and by standing, he'll split the pro-Remain vote, thus pretty much
guaranteeing that Zac keeps his seat; otherwise the LDs might have had a
chance of winning the seat back.

Well, I was wrong. The LD won, and Wolmar lost his deposit. He obviously
had no chance of winning, but 1515 votes (4%) was a derisory result. He
should stick to writing railway books and articles.

Old December 2nd 16, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 17:10:41 on Sat, 5 Nov 2016, Recliner
remarked:

But his chances of becoming an MP are low (Labour only had 12.3%
of the vote last time)

"Slim to none" is a more realistic description.

However, prospective MPs have to "earn their wings" contesting
impossible seats, before being offered a safe seat some years later.

Yes, and by standing, he'll split the pro-Remain vote, thus pretty much
guaranteeing that Zac keeps his seat; otherwise the LDs might have had a
chance of winning the seat back.

Well, I was wrong. The LD won, and Wolmar lost his deposit. He obviously
had no chance of winning, but 1515 votes (4%) was a derisory result. He
should stick to writing railway books and articles.

I think that's a tad unfair

I doubt that the vote was only 1500 *because* Wolmar was the candidate.

Even if some "popular" (locally at least) Labourite was standing it would
have been the same result for them.

And if Wolmar wants a crack at a winnable seat he has to serve time running
the losing ones first - Even Maggie had to do that

tim

Old December 2nd 16, 10:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 02:26:12 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 17:10:41 on Sat, 5 Nov 2016, Recliner
remarked:

But his chances of becoming an MP are low (Labour only had 12.3%
of the vote last time)

"Slim to none" is a more realistic description.

However, prospective MPs have to "earn their wings" contesting
impossible seats, before being offered a safe seat some years later.

Yes, and by standing, he'll split the pro-Remain vote, thus pretty much
guaranteeing that Zac keeps his seat; otherwise the LDs might have had a
chance of winning the seat back.

Well, I was wrong. The LD won, and Wolmar lost his deposit. He obviously
had no chance of winning, but 1515 votes (4%) was a derisory result. He
should stick to writing railway books and articles.

Zac lost by 4%. Will be interesting to see if any Remoaners start a grassroots
campaign on Twitter to call for a re-run "because its too close" and "what about
the 45%"? I mean they will won't they because they believe in democracy
regardless of the result, not because they're a bunch of mealy mouthed stinking
hypcrites who only like democracy when they get their own way and are utterly
full of it?

--
Spud

Old December 2nd 16, 10:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Obviously, those who voted Lib Dem were lied to so the by-election must be rerun G