Old December 3rd 16, 01:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Wolmar for MP

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 11:10:58 -0000, tim... wrote:

And if Wolmar wants a crack at a winnable seat he has to serve time running
the losing ones first - Even Maggie had to do that

Which seats did Sarah Olney contest before winning this one?

Old December 3rd 16, 03:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 03/12/2016 14:44, mechanic wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 11:10:58 -0000, tim... wrote:

And if Wolmar wants a crack at a winnable seat he has to serve time running
the losing ones first - Even Maggie had to do that

Which seats did Sarah Olney contest before winning this one?

Beginners luck :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 3rd 16, 03:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 11:10:58 -0000, tim... wrote:

And if Wolmar wants a crack at a winnable seat he has to serve time
running
the losing ones first - Even Maggie had to do that

Which seats did Sarah Olney contest before winning this one?

She got lucky

"The 39-year-old accountant was not even a Lib Dem member when the party
suffered its 2015 election whitewash. She joined in July last year after
being inspired by Nick Clegg's resignation, in which he pleaded for the
future of liberal Britain."

Even to get the selection without a history of walking the streets
leafleting is some feat.

I bet there are some members of this group, with decades of foot slogging
for the LDs, who are seriously jealous

tim

Old December 3rd 16, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 16:33:47 -0000, tim... wrote:

I bet there are some members of this group, with decades of foot slogging
for the LDs, who are seriously jealous.

You seem to think political careers involve some kind of selection
by meritocracy. You may be deluded in this.
Old December 3rd 16, 06:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 18:01:15 +0000, mechanic put
finger to keyboard and typed:

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 16:33:47 -0000, tim... wrote:

I bet there are some members of this group, with decades of foot slogging
for the LDs, who are seriously jealous.

You seem to think political careers involve some kind of selection
by meritocracy. You may be deluded in this.

Not so much merit, more a case of effort (at least in the early stages).
Getting selected to fight a winnable seat doesn't necessarily require a
potential candidate to demonstrate significant intellectual capability, but
it does usually require them to have put in the legwork on behalf of other
candidates in previous elections.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com

Old December 4th 16, 10:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 16:33:47 -0000, tim... wrote:

I bet there are some members of this group, with decades of foot slogging
for the LDs, who are seriously jealous.

You seem to think political careers involve some kind of selection
by meritocracy.

how is earning the right by showing a commitment to the party by doing years
of "door knocking" a meritocracy?

You may be deluded in this.

That I may be, but I always thought that it was the route (after nepotism).

Though I am entirely disinterested in whether I am right or not

tim