Old April 6th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

Default Electric or Hybrid Card or something car, suggestions?

In message , Dave Plowman
writes
So all their trains and large trucks use petrol?

No.
--
Clive

Old April 6th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
In message m, Martin
Underwood writes

I know about diesel-electric and diesel-hydraulic transmission on
locomotives, but I imagine that the size and weight of these types of
transmission make them rather impractical for use in a car.

If you know these things then you'll know that a car auto transmission
is just a cut down locomotive hydraulic transmission.

I thought car auto transmission used epicyclic gears ie a mechanical
connection between engine and prop shafts, though via a hydraulic clutch
rather than a true hydraulic transmission in locomotive where the engine
drives a hydraulic pump which sends high pressure oil to turbines attached
to wheels - ie with no mechnical connection between engine and wheels.

Old April 6th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive wrote:
Being that I expect my car engine to do that.

You expect to drive one car to over 300,000 miles? Then you must be a
business rather than pleasure motorist so have rather different
requirements from most.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old April 6th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Charlie Peace charlie@??invalid??.??? wrote:
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Have you swallowed a bible or does items like this endear themselves to
you because you haven't a brain.

Do rather than 'does'. These rather than 'this'. Try learning the basics
of grammar before criticising other's ramblings. Or just **** off.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old April 6th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
Clive wrote:
Being that I expect my car engine to do that.

You expect to drive one car to over 300,000 miles? Then you must be a
business rather than pleasure motorist so have rather different
requirements from most.

Not at all, just after the best bang for my buck.
--
Clive

Old April 6th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Plowman
writes
In article ,
Charlie Peace charlie@??invalid??.??? wrote:
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Have you swallowed a bible or does items like this endear themselves to
you because you haven't a brain.

Do rather than 'does'. These rather than 'this'. Try learning the basics
of grammar before criticising other's ramblings. Or just **** off.

We are short of temper, aren't we? I think the lady doth protest to
much.
--
Clive
Old April 6th 04, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

In message m, Martin
Underwood writes

I thought car auto transmission used epicyclic gears ie a mechanical
connection between engine and prop shafts, though via a hydraulic
clutch rather than a true hydraulic transmission in locomotive where
the engine drives a hydraulic pump which sends high pressure oil to
turbines attached to wheels - ie with no mechnical connection between
engine and wheels.

If you look at the Voith transmissions, some stages are converter and
some are fluid flywheel. Very similar apart from torque multiplication
in the first and not in the second.
--
Clive
Old April 7th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

Clive wrote in message ...
In message , Boltar
writes

BWM and Daimler make them because people want them. People want them
because of the cost of fuel. In the US where petrol is the price of
water do you see many diesel cars? No. Now if they're so wonderful why
are there so few in such a car loving nation?

Will, you are uninformed aren't you. Continental America see
temperature extremes which mean diesel fuel can solidify at the low
temperatures they experience. Such a high brow argument is obviously
well beyond what you can comprehend , so stop there before you look even
more ignorant, that's a good lad.

So does scandinavia and diesel cars are popular there. Besides which diesel
cars are just as unpopular in arizona as they are in northern canada. Try a
bit harder next time.

B2003
Old April 7th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

In article , Boltar wrote:
Clive wrote in message ...
Will, you are uninformed aren't you. Continental America see
temperature extremes which mean diesel fuel can solidify at the low
temperatures they experience. Such a high brow argument is obviously
well beyond what you can comprehend , so stop there before you look even
more ignorant, that's a good lad.

So does scandinavia and diesel cars are popular there. Besides which diesel
cars are just as unpopular in arizona as they are in northern canada. Try a
bit harder next time.

Actually, very few if any parts of Scandinavia experience the
temperature extremes you'll find in continental America. I believe this
is in part thanks to the Gulf stream.
As to diesel cars... they do occur there, but I think calling them
popular would be an exaggeration. Most people drive petrol cars.

Niklas

Old April 7th 04, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.transport.london

If you know these things then you'll know that a car auto transmission
is just a cut down locomotive hydraulic transmission. Further you
don't need to heat fuel all the time you are stationary, just before you
need to start up in the morning.

Which car has a Mechydro system (eg Hymek), which car has multiple torque
converters (eg Voith - Western)?

Perhaps Honda should use them!!!!!!

I think some shunters - eg 03 have epicyclic boxes but are manual. The old
DMUs have manual epicyclic supposed to take 7 seconds to change gear - I
have been on one where they power shifted.