London Banter

-   -   Bank Junction (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15228-bank-junction.html)

Offramp January 16th 17 02:51 PM

Bank Junction

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren! Get a grip!

[email protected] January 17th 17 12:44 AM

Bank Junction

In article ,
(Offramp) wrote:

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never
heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it
up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with
the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961."
Small j there, of course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if
it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets
converge. Wren! Get a grip!

It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9 January 17th 17 08:02 AM

Taxi drivers call it Bank Junction. Most Londoners simply
say "Bank," omitting the definite article.

Walter Briscoe January 17th 17 10:39 AM

Bank Junction

In message of Mon, 16
Jan 2017 19:44:36 in uk.transport.london,
writes
In article ,
(Offramp) wrote:

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never
heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it
up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with
the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961."
Small j there, of course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if
it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets
converge. Wren! Get a grip!

It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.

From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.
Lots more information is available at
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/serv...reets/traffic-
management/Pages/Bank-On-Safety.aspx
--
Walter Briscoe

[email protected] January 17th 17 11:06 AM

Bank Junction

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 11:39:07 +0000
Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Mon, 16
Jan 2017 19:44:36 in uk.transport.london,
writes
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.

From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.

That'll work well given how many foreign plated cars there are in london
these days.

--
Spud

Michael R N Dolbear January 17th 17 09:02 PM

Bank Junction

"Offramp" wrote

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard
the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had
never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption,
"Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of
course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it
was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren!
Get a grip!

Wren died 1723 and the Bank of England moved there (with extensive road
changes following) in 1734 so perhaps not.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about...uildings.aspx#

Sir John Soane extended the Bank's site until it had doubled in size to 3.5
acres. He eventually enclosed it with a windowless wall in 1828.

--
Mike D

[email protected] January 18th 17 12:03 AM

Bank Junction

Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Mon, 16
Jan 2017 19:44:36 in uk.transport.london,

writes
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.

From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.

That'll work well given how many foreign plated cars there are in london
these days.

Not to mention the false foreign plates.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 18th 17 08:24 AM

Bank Junction

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:03:39 -0600
wrote:

Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Mon, 16
Jan 2017 19:44:36 in uk.transport.london,

writes
It was always Bank Intersection as I remember it. And it's appalling to
cycle through.

From April 2017, an experimental change is planned for 18 months on
weekdays between 0700 and 1900.
Through traffic will be restricted to buses and cycles. I don't know the
situation with respect to coaches and non London Buses. Access to
premises will be permitted by any vehicles. Automatic Number Plate
Recognition will be used to enforce the rules.

That'll work well given how many foreign plated cars there are in london
these days.

Not to mention the false foreign plates.

Case in point - a few weeks back I saw a RHD car with bulgarian plates and
an asian driver. Thanks to the idiotic policy of replacing traffic police with
cameras he'll probably get away with it for ages if he's ever caught at all.

--
Spud