Old February 16th 17, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Network Rail "incorrectly designed" the Gospel Oak - Barking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:40:23 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\02\16 16:31, d wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:

You still seem to think that TfL is as thick as you.

That would be "ARE as thick as you". Using the singular for a group entity is
an americanism. But I'm sure a grammatical genius such as yourself knew that
already.

Americanism has a capital A.

I'm not the one claiming to be an expert in English who never makes mistakes.

--
Spud

Old February 16th 17, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
"Now that we can identify the verb and the object in the sentence, we know

not
to put a comma between them."

Suck it up, accept you've made an idiot of yourself and move on.

You failed to identify the verb in the sentence, you twit.

Aaahhhh, so in "as well as writing, English" , "writing" isn't the present
continuous form of the verb to write?

The verb is 'comprehending', something you're not very good at.

Your poor spade must be worn out by now and since I'm a caring sharing sort
I thought this link might be useful in your quest to dig a hole all the way
to australia:

http://plant.autotrader.co.uk/used-plant-machinery/jcb

A spell checker wouldn't help you, as you simply don't know which word to
use. And sensible people, particularly people who can't type or spell, use
modern software that includes a spell checker.

What do you use, MS Word with Clippy switched on to maximum assist for when
you have another senior moment?

You really do need a software upgrade. Some of us actually use modern
newsreader software, not an ASCII text editor. And you do need to learn at
least a little about engineering and railways, alongside your remedial
English classes.

Incidentally, you haven't told us the location of the new depot that you
insist will be needed to maintain the 710s on the DC line and GOBLIN.
Surely, as someone with a Nuttall-grade commitment to the truth, you'd have
checked before making your claim?
Old February 16th 17, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:57:54 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:28:39 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2017\02\15 13:54, d wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:26:31 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:

It's not a continuation of an existing order.

If TfL had had any forsight it could easily have been.

Were the TfL takeover of the West Anglia lines and the electrification
of the Goblin even on the cards when the 378s were ordered?

No

So there was no hint of the goblin electrication back in 2014-15 when the ELL
trains were being extended to 5 cars? Riiiight.

You still seem to think that TfL is as thick as you.

That would be "ARE as thick as you". Using the singular for a group entity is
an americanism.

No, it's simple good English, a concept that's foreign to you.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-t...e-are-governed

But I'm sure a grammatical genius such as yourself knew that
already.

Yes, I'm familiar with good writing, having earned my rather good living
from it for many years. That's why I'm comfortably retired, and you're not,
despite your advancing senility.

For example, here's an excerpt from the style guide from a grown-up
magazine you may not yet have encountered:

"A government, a party, a company (whether Tesco or Marks and Spencer) and
a partnership (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill) are all *it* and take a singular
verb. So does a country, even if its name looks plural."

http://www.economist.com/style-guide/singular-or-plural

Old February 16th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:49:40 -0000 (UTC), Recliner

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I don't want to join your slanging match, but the dual-system 710/2
units are going to be maintained at the exisitng depot at Willesden.

Makes sense to me........., 'tis on the Watford line & only a short
hop from Gospel Oak, + it's what they do now...........

TTFN, DC.

---

Old February 16th 17, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know. But I was wondering if Spud did. It seems not. No surprise
there.

And of course the Liverpool St 710s will be maintained at the existing
Ilford depot.

Old February 17th 17, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
"Now that we can identify the verb and the object in the sentence, we know
not
to put a comma between them."

Suck it up, accept you've made an idiot of yourself and move on.

You failed to identify the verb in the sentence, you twit.

Aaahhhh, so in "as well as writing, English" , "writing" isn't the present
continuous form of the verb to write?

The verb is 'comprehending', something you're not very good at.

FFS man, give it up! You're just pathetic.

What do you use, MS Word with Clippy switched on to maximum assist for when
you have another senior moment?

You really do need a software upgrade. Some of us actually use modern
newsreader software, not an ASCII text editor. And you do need to learn at

I wrote my newsreader software. Not something you'd be even remotely
capable of doing.

--
Spud

Old February 17th 17, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:57:59 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
That would be "ARE as thick as you". Using the singular for a group entity

is
an americanism.

No, it's simple good English, a concept that's foreign to you.

No, its an americanism which has mades its way into british english.

Yes, I'm familiar with good writing, having earned my rather good living
from it for many years. That's why I'm comfortably retired, and you're not,

Well in that case you'll be able to point us to some publications/papers/books/
articles you wrote then won't you?

And the reason you're retired is you're old. Unless you're going to stun us
all and tell us you're actually only 45?

"A government, a party, a company (whether Tesco or Marks and Spencer) and
a partnership (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill) are all *it* and take a singular
verb. So does a country, even if its name looks plural."

The grammar police is here...

Oh wait, that doesn't sound right, I wonder where the error is...

--
Spud

Old February 17th 17, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:17:47 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
David C wrote:
I don't want to join your slanging match, but the dual-system 710/2
units are going to be maintained at the exisitng depot at Willesden.

Makes sense to me........., 'tis on the Watford line & only a short
hop from Gospel Oak, + it's what they do now...........

Yes, I know. But I was wondering if Spud did. It seems not. No surprise
there.

And of course the Liverpool St 710s will be maintained at the existing
Ilford depot.

Looks like both are getting very expensive upgrades. I'm sure thats pure
coincidence however.

--
Spud

Old February 17th 17, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
"Now that we can identify the verb and the object in the sentence, we know
not
to put a comma between them."

Suck it up, accept you've made an idiot of yourself and move on.

You failed to identify the verb in the sentence, you twit.

Aaahhhh, so in "as well as writing, English" , "writing" isn't the present
continuous form of the verb to write?

The verb is 'comprehending', something you're not very good at.

FFS man, give it up! You're just pathetic.

So you finally admit that your 'correction' was wrong.

What do you use, MS Word with Clippy switched on to maximum assist for when
you have another senior moment?

You really do need a software upgrade. Some of us actually use modern
newsreader software, not an ASCII text editor. And you do need to learn at

I wrote my newsreader software. Not something you'd be even remotely
capable of doing.

That's certainly true. And, unlike you, I prefer using professional
software.