London Banter

-   -   Replacement travel information? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15272-replacement-travel-information.html)

Dr J R Stockton[_43_] February 16th 17 09:10 AM

Replacement travel information?

BBC URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/ now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

What would readers recommend instead? I know of these :-

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp
http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner
http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.in.Bognor/

Where does the Surrey Comet get its overlay data from?

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Roland Perry February 17th 17 06:55 AM

Replacement travel information?

In message id, at
10:10:18 on Thu, 16 Feb 2017, Dr J R Stockton
remarked:
BBC URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/ now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.

What would readers recommend instead? I know of these :-

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp
http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner
http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.in.Bognor/

Where does the Surrey Comet get its overlay data from?

roadworks.org I expect.

Neil Williams February 17th 17 09:52 AM

On 2017-02-16 10:10:18 +0000, Dr J R Stockton said:

BBC URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/ now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

What would readers recommend instead? I know of these :-

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp
http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner
http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.in.Bognor/

Where does the Surrey Comet get its overlay data from?

For road travel? A combination of Google Maps (for real time
congestion data) and the Highways Agency incident site (for incidents).

For rail? nationalrail.co.uk and TOC sites/Twitter feeds.

For coach? The NatEx/Megabus sites and Twitter feeds.

For local bus? There isn't a reliable source of information, nor was
the BBC as bus companies rarely supplied them with it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

tim... February 17th 17 01:29 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message id, at
10:10:18 on Thu, 16 Feb 2017, Dr J R Stockton
remarked:
BBC URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/ now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.

you seem to have missed

"as part of a plan to help save £15m"

tim

Roland Perry February 17th 17 02:34 PM

Replacement travel information?

In message , at 14:29:48 on Fri, 17 Feb
2017, tim... remarked:

BBC URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/ now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very
poor value for money.

you seem to have missed

"as part of a plan to help save £15m"

Sorry, spin is it? 100k will be saved by ditching this site and the
remaining 14.9m by banning vintage wine from the subsidised executive
canteen.

tim... February 17th 17 06:09 PM

Replacement travel information?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:29:48 on Fri, 17 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

BBC URL http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/ now says "The BBC Travel website
is no longer available".

If they really were spending £15m on that, they were getting very poor
value for money.

you seem to have missed

"as part of a plan to help save £15m"

Sorry, spin is it? 100k will be saved by ditching this site and the
remaining 14.9m by banning vintage wine from the subsidised executive
canteen.

presumably the rest come from closing other web services

like the proposal to close BBC Food - oh dear!

More realistically

what benefit does the BBC gain from translating their news into 30 different
languages?

tim

Roland Perry February 17th 17 08:25 PM

Replacement travel information?

In message , at 19:09:39 on Fri, 17 Feb
2017, tim... remarked:

what benefit does the BBC gain from translating

Some of, I expect. Or is "Look East" really available in Swahili?

their news into 30 different languages?

Because they have something called a "World Service"?

tim... February 18th 17 08:00 AM

Replacement travel information?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:09:39 on Fri, 17 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

what benefit does the BBC gain from translating

Some of, I expect. Or is "Look East" really available in Swahili?

their news into 30 different languages?

Because they have something called a "World Service"?

so who's paying for that then?

Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?

tim

Jarle Hammen Knudsen February 18th 17 08:17 AM

Replacement travel information?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:00:52 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:09:39 on Fri, 17 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

what benefit does the BBC gain from translating

Some of, I expect. Or is "Look East" really available in Swahili?

their news into 30 different languages?

Because they have something called a "World Service"?

so who's paying for that then?

Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?

Who funds the foreign office?

--
jhk

Recliner[_3_] February 18th 17 08:17 AM

tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:09:39 on Fri, 17 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

what benefit does the BBC gain from translating

Some of, I expect. Or is "Look East" really available in Swahili?

their news into 30 different languages?

Because they have something called a "World Service"?

so who's paying for that then?

Is this a cost the viewers are funding or are the foreign office funding it?

This has been covered extensively in the news. Did you miss all the
coverage?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...foreign-office

https://www.creativetoolkit.org.uk/news/1027

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6745736.html