London Banter

-   -   London bus maps to end? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15354-london-bus-maps-end.html)

Clive Page[_3_] June 3rd 17 05:02 PM

London bus maps to end?

By chance I read a copy of the Evening Standard last week where a
reader's letter lamented the fact that TfL were no longer printing bus
maps. Can this be true? I can't see anything about it on the TfL web
site, and if it's been mentioned here that has also passed me by.

It seems a serious mistake - finding the right bus number to take
without a map of them is going to be hard. The various mobile phone
apps are, in my experience, not an adequate substitute.

--
Clive Page

Paul Corfield June 4th 17 09:14 AM

London bus maps to end?

On Saturday, 3 June 2017 18:02:56 UTC+1, Clive Page wrote:
By chance I read a copy of the Evening Standard last week where a
reader's letter lamented the fact that TfL were no longer printing bus
maps. Can this be true? I can't see anything about it on the TfL web
site, and if it's been mentioned here that has also passed me by.

It seems a serious mistake - finding the right bus number to take
without a map of them is going to be hard. The various mobile phone
apps are, in my experience, not an adequate substitute.

I understand the paper Central London and Quadrant maps have ceased production. There is a mention in Buses magazine about this. I have also been reliably informed that the contract with FWT has been terminated. Quite where that leaves TfL's ability to update *online* versions of these maps is anyone's guess. Given that spider map updating is now pretty poor and much delayed I am a tad sceptical that online maps will keep pace with changes.

I agree with you that this is stupidity on a grand scale but then we should hardly be surprised. It is all too easy to make "efficiency" just equal "spending cuts". I am sceptical that the online versions will remain on TfL's site so I have already saved pdf versions as a contingency.

As we can expect to see substantial and ongoing change to parts of the bus network it is likely that many spider and online maps will become very out of date by the end of 2018.

--
Paul C
via Google

Optimist June 4th 17 12:59 PM

London bus maps to end?

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 02:14:33 -0700 (PDT), Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

Smartphone - Google Maps - Directions works for me (outside London)

---
http://www.avg.com

Robin[_4_] June 4th 17 01:14 PM

London bus maps to end?

On 04/06/2017 13:59, Optimist wrote:
snip

Smartphone - Google Maps - Directions works for me (outside London)

Do you expect all the elderly and poor users of London buses to have not
only a smart phone but also a data contract? Or is your proposition
that TfL managers do so?

PS
Your sig is broken: there should be 2 hyphens and a space, not 3 hyphens

--
Robin

[email protected] June 4th 17 05:26 PM

London bus maps to end?

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 14:14:17 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 04/06/2017 13:59, Optimist wrote:
snip

Smartphone - Google Maps - Directions works for me (outside London)

Do you expect all the elderly and poor users of London buses to have not
only a smart phone but also a data contract? Or is your proposition
that TfL managers do so?

PS
Your sig is broken: there should be 2 hyphens and a space, not 3 hyphens

--
Robin

The problem with journey planners is that they assume all you want to
do is get from A to B as quickly as possible.

But if you want to take a route which might be more interesting, or if
you don't have a particular destination in mind but are open to
suggestions, you need a map.

Chris.

[email protected] June 5th 17 08:21 AM

London bus maps to end?

Paul Corfield wrote:
I agree with you that this is stupidity on a grand scale but then we should=
hardly be surprised. It is all too easy to make "efficiency" just equal "=
spending cuts". I am sceptical that the online versions will remain on TfL=
's site so I have already saved pdf versions as a contingency.

Kahns fares freeze coming home to roost perhaps? Not that I'm complaining, I'd
sooner have lower fares and no bus map though I can't see it saving them much
money at all frankly. A few thousand quid at most.

--
Spud

[email protected] June 5th 17 11:17 PM

London bus maps to end?

Paul Corfield wrote:
I agree with you that this is stupidity on a grand scale but then we
should hardly be surprised. It is all too easy to make "efficiency"
just equal "spending cuts". I am sceptical that the online versions
will remain on TfL's site so I have already saved pdf versions as a
contingency.

Kahns fares freeze coming home to roost perhaps? Not that I'm complaining,
I'd sooner have lower fares and no bus map though I can't see it saving
them much money at all frankly. A few thousand quid at most.

Kahn? Who's he? Can't you learn to spell and show a bit of respect?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] June 5th 17 11:43 PM

London bus maps to end?

On 2017\06\06 00:17, wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
I agree with you that this is stupidity on a grand scale but then we
should hardly be surprised. It is all too easy to make "efficiency"
just equal "spending cuts". I am sceptical that the online versions
will remain on TfL's site so I have already saved pdf versions as a
contingency.

Kahns fares freeze coming home to roost perhaps? Not that I'm complaining,
I'd sooner have lower fares and no bus map though I can't see it saving
them much money at all frankly. A few thousand quid at most.

Kahn? Who's he?

I don't know, but I know he's bent.

[email protected] June 7th 17 08:21 AM

London bus maps to end?

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 18:17:16 -0500
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
I agree with you that this is stupidity on a grand scale but then we
should hardly be surprised. It is all too easy to make "efficiency"
just equal "spending cuts". I am sceptical that the online versions
will remain on TfL's site so I have already saved pdf versions as a
contingency.

Kahns fares freeze coming home to roost perhaps? Not that I'm complaining,
I'd sooner have lower fares and no bus map though I can't see it saving
them much money at all frankly. A few thousand quid at most.

Kahn? Who's he? Can't you learn to spell and show a bit of respect?

Oh just **** off already. I doubt you'd give a rats arse if I spelt Boris' name
wrong, just because KHAN is ethnic. FWIW I have zero respect for the little
**** - he spent his formative years wasting police time and resources by
sueing them for spurious "abuses" plus he defended that waste of skin Ali
Desai (and no, I don't care if I've spelt that wrong).

--
Spud