Old June 9th 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Post Office Railway open from 28th July

On 08/06/2017 19:18, Certes wrote:
On 08/06/17 18:25, wrote:
Will the tentative journeys on offer run from Whitechapel all the way
out to Paddington via Mt. Pleasant, BTW?

BBC: "Two new trains, based on the originals, will carry up to 32
passengers on a 0.6 mile (1km) section of the line."

At £16 per 0.6m, it is even more expensive (per mile) than Heathrow Express.

Old June 9th 17, 08:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:30:19 on Fri, 9 Jun 2017,
BevanPrice remarked:

Will the tentative journeys on offer run from Whitechapel all the way
out to Paddington via Mt. Pleasant, BTW?

BBC: "Two new trains, based on the originals, will carry up to 32
passengers on a 0.6 mile (1km) section of the line."

At £16 per 0.6m, it is even more expensive (per mile) than Heathrow Express.

So is the Snowdon Mountain Railway (at about £5/mile).
Old June 9th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 09/06/2017 09:14, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news
On 08/06/2017 22:14, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news On 08/06/2017 19:36, tim... wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:18:02 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news On 08/06/2017 01:02, Basil Jet wrote:

In the diary.

you really have to go on the first day

He may not have put it in the diary for the first day :-)

but surely if the intention is to visit at some time in the future,
you can remember a more approximate date (August for example)
without diarising it

I'm now puzzled Tim, did you mean I ought to go on the first day or
why do I have to go on the first day?

why are you recording the first day it is opening, if you don't
intend on visiting it ASAP

I could be making a note to avoid it that day as it will be crowded.

but if you didn't note it at all you wont know that it was open

Again I could just be using a figure of speech to note that I was aware
it would be open from date so could visit it after that time if I so
wished.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old June 9th 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 22:13:52 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news On 08/06/2017 01:02, Basil Jet wrote:

In the diary.

you really have to go on the first day

He may not have put it in the diary for the first day :-)

but surely if the intention is to visit at some time in the future, you
can
remember a more approximate date (August for example) without diarising it

Personally, no. If I want to do something I find it best to get it
into the diary (a) to stop me arranging something else on the same day
by mistake and (b) as an incentive to make it happen. I sometimes
put TV programmes in the diary to make sure I don't forget to watch or
record.

but "catch up" excepted (which doesn't always work) you may only get one
chance to watch/record a TV program

once this museum is open, there are hundreds of future occasion that you can
visit

I attach a mystical quality to my diary. If it's in the diary this
makes if far more likely to happen.

I accept we all operate differently.
Old June 12th 17, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 09:35:09AM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
BevanPrice remarked:
At ?16 per 0.6m, it is even more expensive (per mile) than Heathrow Express.

So is the Snowdon Mountain Railway (at about ?5/mile).

So is Thornton Heath to Selhurst.

Outrageous!

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
-- Alan Cooper

Old June 13th 17, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2017\06\13 17:03, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 07:56:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, 8 June 2017 22:45:35 UTC+1, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:42:36 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 10:04:18 on Thu, 8 Jun
2017,
d remarked:
Its a shame that what is in effect a national asset has gone to waste. Given
the traffic situation in London there must be some business case for it.

The sorting offices have long been dispersed away from Central London
and well away from the PO railway.

I'm pretty sure, if memory serves me rightly, that the thing that ended the viability of the PO railway was the opening of the major postal distribution hub at Willesden. Some people did suggest extending the POR there, but that was pretty much a non-starter - can you imagine the cost?

No imagination this country , what would be wrong with a bit of mixed
gauge out of Euston.

Since rail ferries carry trains on boats, and Le Shuttle carries cars on
trains, why not have a train-train which carries the PO railway wagons
on mainline gauge flat wagons with narrow gauge rails laid on top of
them? There should be enough paths on the DC lines for them. The only
problem (yes, I did say *only* problem) would be that the mainline
railway runs in the day and is maintained at night whereas the PO
railway ran at night and was maintained in the morning IIRC.
Old June 13th 17, 05:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/06/2017 17:35, Basil Jet wrote:

Since rail ferries carry trains on boats, and Le Shuttle carries cars on
trains, why not have a train-train which carries the PO railway wagons
on mainline gauge flat wagons with narrow gauge rails laid on top of
them?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/14875380020

(Glasgow subway gauge)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 13th 17, 05:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2017\06\13 18:12, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 13/06/2017 17:35, Basil Jet wrote:

Since rail ferries carry trains on boats, and Le Shuttle carries cars on
trains, why not have a train-train which carries the PO railway wagons
on mainline gauge flat wagons with narrow gauge rails laid on top of
them?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/14875380020

(Glasgow subway gauge)

Great stuff... I thought you meant the carried trains were Subway gauge,
but no, the carrying train is Subway gauge!
Old June 13th 17, 07:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/06/2017 18:12, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 13/06/2017 17:35, Basil Jet wrote:

Since rail ferries carry trains on boats, and Le Shuttle carries cars on
trains, why not have a train-train which carries the PO railway wagons
on mainline gauge flat wagons with narrow gauge rails laid on top of
them?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/14875380020

(Glasgow subway gauge)

My Goodness, even narrow gauge locos on broad gauge wagons, 5th photo down:

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/22/Guinness.htm

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old June 22nd 17, 01:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 18:25:44 +0100, "
wrote:

What would happen if another, unmanned train were on the track ahead?

You should have a dead section behind it.

A dead section additional to the one which stopped the first train,
presumably?

Anna Noyd-Dryver