London Banter

-   -   Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15379-any-new-crossrail-platforms-curved.html)

Recliner[_3_] June 28th 17 03:41 PM

Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\06\28 15:19, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:54:28 +0100, "
wrote:

On 28.06.17 12:35, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 02:36:36 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

TCR looks curved to me.

https://youtu.be/9Mw0jCGl_HQ?t=1m24s

No, they're straight:

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/8-Crossrail-Tottenham-Court-Road-3D-1.jpg

http://www.dr-sauer.com/files/drsauer/public/content/file/360/upload/222c-tcsup-002-full.png

I thought that the platforms would be straight as, IIRC, current
legislation stipulates only straight platforms.

Plus, it's a given that HSE would probably have conniptions if they saw
a curved platform. So, even if it is legally possible to build a curved
platform, it would not surprise me if the engineers and designers
decided simply to build it straight in order to avoid any
"complications."

They obviously don't have to be ruler straight, but I assume there are
rules for what (large) radius is allowed. You certainly wouldn't be
allowed to build anything like the Central Line Bank platforms today.

I don't think the rules have changed since Canada Water East London Line
platforms were built, and IIRC that is on a fair slope, so the rules can
be broken if TPTB feel like it.

Yes, I suppose they just have to seek a derogation, which is more likely to
be granted when adding things to an old line than when building an all-new
one.

Basil Jet[_4_] June 28th 17 04:08 PM

wrote:

[...]

.... although a new line weaved between the deep pile foundations of
London might be subject to more expensive geometrical constraints than a
new platform on an old line! Remember that Crossrail 2 was going to have
a station at Piccadilly Circus when it was tube gauge, but when they
went for mainline gauge there was no room for the platform tunnels.

Steve Lewis June 28th 17 04:15 PM

Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

On the Jubilee Line Extension, Canning Town (both platforms) and Stratford (platform 15 only) are slightly curved, while Westminster (both platforms) are curved and have PEDs.

Recliner[_3_] June 28th 17 04:32 PM

Steve Lewis wrote:
On the Jubilee Line Extension, Canning Town (both platforms) and
Stratford (platform 15 only) are slightly curved, while Westminster (both
platforms) are curved and have PEDs.

I've never even noticed!

D A Stocks[_2_] June 28th 17 09:18 PM

wrote:

TCR looks curved to me.

https://youtu.be/9Mw0jCGl_HQ?t=1m24s

No, they're straight:

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/8-Crossrail-Tottenham-Court-Road-3D-1.jpg

http://www.dr-sauer.com/files/drsauer/public/content/file/360/upload/222c-tcsup-002-full.png

I thought that the platforms would be straight as, IIRC, current
legislation stipulates only straight platforms.

Plus, it's a given that HSE would probably have conniptions if they saw a
curved platform. So, even if it is legally possible to build a curved
platform, it would not surprise me if the engineers and designers decided
simply to build it straight in order to avoid any "complications."

I would imagine the requirement is that it's possible to see the length of
the platform edge, from the platform, and with a train in the station. This
will be fairly easy to achieve if (as at TCR) the curve is not too tight,
the platform is on the inside of the curve, and the platform has enough
width.

I have only visited the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras once, but am I
correct in remembering that there is quite a sharp curve at the southern
end?

--
DAS

[email protected] June 29th 17 05:57 AM

Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

I have only visited the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras once, but am I
correct in remembering that there is quite a sharp curve at the southern
end?

Yes because that is where they met the existing Kings Cross curves with a radius around 200m.

The RSSB's GI/RT7016 provides the requirements of the track/platform interface.

OC

[email protected] June 29th 17 08:40 AM

Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 22:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:
I have only visited the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras once, but am I
correct in remembering that there is quite a sharp curve at the southern
end?

Yes because that is where they met the existing Kings Cross curves with a
radius around 200m.

I've wondered on occasion whether they deliberately sited the new KX thameslink
platforms at such an inconvenient location for interchange to reduce footfall.
I find it surprising that they were unable to lengthen the old platforms given
how they managed to lengthen farringdon (which is now part curve, part hill)
and destroyed the old moorgate line in the process.

--
Spud

Roland Perry June 29th 17 09:13 AM

Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

In message , at 08:40:02 on Thu, 29 Jun
2017, d remarked:
I have only visited the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras once, but am I
correct in remembering that there is quite a sharp curve at the southern
end?

Yes because that is where they met the existing Kings Cross curves with a
radius around 200m.

I've wondered on occasion whether they deliberately sited the new KX thameslink
platforms at such an inconvenient location for interchange to reduce footfall.
I find it surprising that they were unable to lengthen the old platforms given
how they managed to lengthen farringdon (which is now part curve, part hill)
and destroyed the old moorgate line in the process.

The problem with the old platforms was narrowness.

Recliner[_3_] July 1st 17 02:44 PM

Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 13:31:54 +0100, David Walters
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 02:36:36 +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

TCR looks curved to me.

https://youtu.be/9Mw0jCGl_HQ?t=1m24s

Looks like the Eastbound is.

http://learninglegacy.crossrail.co.u...2-1024x495.jpg

Here's a reminder of what *really* curved platforms look like:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/34840848553/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

For anyone unfamiliar with the location, it's the Baker Street
Metropolitan Line through platforms, 1 and 2, looking south. The sharp
curve is because the line joins what is now the Circle line just
beyond the platform end.

Needless to say, this is one place where the 'Mind the Gap' notices
are really needed. The new trains have a floor almost level with the
platform, rather than overhanging it, so the gaps are indeed large
with sharply curved platforms like these.

[email protected] July 1st 17 07:00 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 02:36:36 +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

TCR looks curved to me.

https://youtu.be/9Mw0jCGl_HQ?t=1m24s

Looks like the Eastbound is.

http://learninglegacy.crossrail.co.u...2-1024x495.jpg

Here's a reminder of what *really* curved platforms look like:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/34840848553/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

For anyone unfamiliar with the location, it's the Baker Street
Metropolitan Line through platforms, 1 and 2, looking south. The sharp
curve is because the line joins what is now the Circle line just
beyond the platform end.

Needless to say, this is one place where the 'Mind the Gap' notices
are really needed. The new trains have a floor almost level with the
platform, rather than overhanging it, so the gaps are indeed large
with sharply curved platforms like these.

Have you seen the downtown platform at 14th Street - Union Square on the
Lexington Avenue Line, in New York? They have gap fillers that extend
from the platform.

The inner and outer tracks on the South Ferry Loop were also notable for
their gaps, with the outer one also requiring gap fillers.

The shuttle trains that ran on the inner track had to undergo special
modification so that only each car's middle doors would open in order to
mitigate the gap.